North Yorkshire coast passenger stock

MarkC

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to find details of stock formations regularly seen on the Middlesbrough-Whitby-Scarborough services during 1930-1958. There's plenty of info about locomotives to be found, but I'm not having much luck with the stock to be seen. Sadly most photos concentrate on the locos. I'm pretty sure that the 'rule of thumb' will be that it would have been stock 'cascaded', to use modern terminology, from elsewhere, but what? I think it was usually non-corridor stock too. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Towards the end there were Thompson and Greeley non corridor stock and pre grouping stock.

Pictures show the odd corridor Mk1 in formations. 

Mk1 non corridor stock was certainly on york services but not sure about coast services. 

It appears that after whitby was cut back to the esk valley only  there was a fair bit of ex LNER and Mk1 non corridor stock stored at whitby 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents. It's certainly a minefield, trying to identify vehicles from what is usually "just the stuff hanging on the drawbar of the important thing in my photo; the locomotive..."

Would any of the old NER matchboard stock have been seen? I suspect so.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Neil said:

There are some lovely stills in this youtube compilation. I'm no expert but the carriage stock seems to be mainly Gresley and Thompson non-corridor stock.

I'll have to sit with a rolling stock guru to identify some of these - great find. Thank you.

Mark

• Like 1

In the mid-1930s there were batches of steel stock, singles and artic pairs built for this line which allowed NER stock to be sent to the GER, further allowing 6 wheelers to be scrapped. 

Glancing at that video I don't see too many artic pairs, so they may have moved on by the time that was filmed, or been used north of Saltburn where traffic was, I think, heavier. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

In the mid-1930s there were batches of steel stock, singles and artic pairs built for this line which allowed NER stock to be sent to the GER, further allowing 6 wheelers to be scrapped. 

Glancing at that video I don't see too many artic pairs, so they may have moved on by the time that was filmed, or been used north of Saltburn where traffic was, I think, heavier. 

Thanks, Jonathon. That's good information. More digging required :)

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Do you have any of the Harris books?

I don't. The name doesn't ring any bells, to my shame, I suspect?

Mark

Edit - have Gurgled him - I didn't recognise the name, but I have seen the books before. Time to abuse the wallet...

Edited by MarkC

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

NERA do a copy of the carriage roster for the the north eastern rregion in 1932.

Thanks, Paul.

Better hope I'm home in time for the Newcastle Show then - NERA usually attend.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if you've got this one. Not sure on copyright so just a clip of the stock from a bigger picture purely for research purposes.

This was taken at Prospect Hill heading for Scarborough. 1947 or 1948 by the number on the A8 hauling. Perhaps someone can offer ID, especially the first coach which looks quite old.

1162853242_PrispectHill2.jpg.7831822dc4df01fa265b58131ec41ee6.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Don't know if you've got this one. Not sure on copyright so just a clip of the stock from a bigger picture purely for research purposes.

This was taken at Prospect Hill heading for Scarborough. 1947 or 1948 by the number on the A8 hauling. Perhaps someone can offer ID, especially the first coach which looks quite old.

1162853242_PrispectHill2.jpg.7831822dc4df01fa265b58131ec41ee6.jpg

I don't think I've seen that one. Thank you. What's the van? Any ideas?