Last Class W4 in commercial service

eldomtom2

While not one to especially concern myself about accuracy the question did occur to me upon looking at Hornby's models - when did the last W4 in commercial service cease being used? I've done some brief digging and all I can find is one was scrapped on-site at Cransley iron works in 1966 - when did this stop operating, and were there any that carried on past 1966?

7 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

While not one to especially concern myself about accuracy the question did occur to me upon looking at Hornby's models - when did the last W4 in commercial service cease being used? I've done some brief digging and all I can find is one was scrapped on-site at Cransley iron works in 1966 - when did this stop operating, and were there any that carried on past 1966?

Is this the Peckett W4 you are referring to?

If so Industrial Steam lasted into the 1970s in quite a few places so it's entirely possible that one did last till then.

They lasted until about then as there are a handful preserved. I doubt many of the older Pecketts lasted until the end of industrial steam, and the W4s were pretty old by then.

Some W4s identified here. You might need to do a bit of Googling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peckett_and_Sons_railway_locomotives

Jason