'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 02/12/2022 at 09:54, Oldddudders said:

My only Genesis purchase to date is a 6-wheel full brake in Southern livery. Delightful.  

As someone who is looking to model the SR mid-20s to mid-30s, I already have a load of Maunsell corridor stock and some Maunsell LSWR rebuilds. Before I purchase any of these, I’m trying to work out which of the Genesis coaches I could realistically run with sets of the above…if such things existed? Or indeed, whether whole sets of these coaches would have been regularly seen in the above timeframe on the mainland? Hattons currently only have the set of 4 in stock or the full brake…so I’m trying to work out which I go for depending on which could realistically be run or incorporated into my other coaching stock. Any steers gratefully received!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mizuno57 said:

As someone who is looking to model the SR mid-20s to mid-30s, I already have a load of Maunsell corridor stock and some Maunsell LSWR rebuilds. Before I purchase any of these, I’m trying to work out which of the Genesis coaches I could realistically run with sets of the above…if such things existed? Or indeed, whether whole sets of these coaches would have been regularly seen in the above timeframe on the mainland? Hattons currently only have the set of 4 in stock or the full brake…so I’m trying to work out which I go for depending on which could realistically be run or incorporated into my other coaching stock. Any steers gratefully received!

I think by that stage most of the remaining non-bogie stock was in use for 'seasonal' trains such as hop-picker's specials. I suspect they wouldn't have been mixed with bogie stock, you'd have had a full train of 4 and/or 6 wheelers with whatever loco was spare (often a goods loco such as a C class)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I'm wishing i'd bought lit versions now. 

Hi Peter, we are now offering separate lighting packs to retro-fit unlit coaches! They will be in stock during 2023: https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/article?id=1275

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2022 at 18:23, Ian Hargrave said:

So then ,time to give those Terriers something to get their teeth into ? Well,that’s my excuse anyway. 643 is rarin’ to go…..😀

I do have the slight issue of no longer having a layout to run them on and lack the space to build one in my current home. Still one day I hope! :)

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mizuno57 said:

An interesting observation.I too have a supply of nicely lined out Hornby Maunsell SR stock and am currently seriously contemplating an OO Works Southern  Adams Jubilee. ATM I think I’ll stick with the Maunsells tbh,unless I opt for the Jubilee in LSWR livery in which case the expected Genesis in that livery will be the choice.Aren’t we fortunate to have such choices ?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mizuno57 said:

I too have lots of olive Hornby Maunsells. I also have, somewhere, a pic of a train, something like 10.15 Okehampton to Padstow, which has a 6-wheel LMS full-brake as the leading vehicle. So a 6-wheel Genesis brake in olive seemed a fair substitution.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My LBSC set duly arrived via Hattons judicious choice of using Amazon delivery which provided up to date tracking.Left for me securely in front porch as requested with photo shot emailed to me.I arrived home just 5 minutes later. In common with everyone,I am impressed with the finish ,presence and quality feel of these coaches and with the neatness of the packaging they come with. Well done Hattons.By coincidence,I passed their old premises on Smithdown Road a week,or so ago. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So how do they run ?   Unlike Thomas with Annie and Clarabel,Boxhill is having a smooth glide with his set. One step I will take in due course is to equip them with magnetic couplings.They will look that much better and tbh the fitted tension locks could be improved upon.Be that as it may,excusing the dreadful pun,I am chuffed. Now 643 is barking for his turn. I must not disappoint.

• Like 3

Another set of photos and I'll stop there....

As I have 2 of the Genesis 6 wheel LBSCR coaches and 5 Hornby LBSCR 4 generic wheelers (which are more LBSCR than anything else), I thought I would compare them and also run an LBSCR Atlantic along side the SECR D class each with their own respective rakes.

Hardly surprising, but apart from the paint finish, the Genesis 6 wheelers of both SECR and LBSCR are exactly the same moulding and detail wise.

However comparing Hornby Generic and Genesis 4 wheelers, when viewed from the ends, one can see LBSCR form in the Hornby Generic 4 wheelers.

It was quite a charm watching these 2 pre-grouping trains running side by side (not entirely implausible)  and such a colourful change from BR stock that I normally run.

SECR_Genesis_31.jpg

SECR_Genesis_32.jpg

SECR_Genesis_33.jpg

SECR_Genesis_34.jpg

SECR_Genesis_35.jpg

SECR_Genesis_36.jpg

SECR_Genesis_37.jpg

SECR_Genesis_38.jpg

SECR_Genesis_39.jpg

SECR_Genesis_40.jpg

SECR_Genesis_41.jpg

SECR_Genesis_42.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My LBSC set duly arrived via Hattons judicious choice of using Amazon delivery which provided up to date tracking.Left for me securely in front porch as requested with photo shot emailed to me

Same here, (not LBSCR though)

Text* telling me when they would be delivered, text when they had put them in the porch (I was in so picked them out of the porch as the text came in)

*(actually to the landline)

Royal Mail need to up their game, else they'll lose even more business.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

List of Royal Mail strike days in December.

Friday 9 December

Sunday 11 December

Wednesday 14 December

Thursday 15 December

Friday 23 December

Saturday 24 December

Hattons have now moved over to using Amazon logistics as a courier, in place of RM, in order to avoid delayes due to strike action.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Hattons have now moved over to using Amazon logistics as a courier, in place of RM, in order to avoid delayes due to strike action.

Hence the comments in previous posts!

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hence the comments in previous posts!

I can also endorse Amazon's performance with Hattons - two deliveries, both expeditious and trackable. Today's Amazon delivery, however, is just coffee-pods. Arrived at Exeter 06.45 so should easily make Torbay in daylight! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I can also endorse Amazon's performance with Hattons - two deliveries, both expeditious and trackable. Today's Amazon delivery, however, is just coffee-pods. Arrived at Exeter 06.45 so should easily make Torbay in daylight! 

Good, wouldn't want the guests to run short of coffee.

image.png.97c118bb0cdb3e97000ba10703de6744.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

One of our less-splendid Am-Dram theatre members lives more or less next door to the site of the original hotel lampooned by Cleese. Other friends used to do Fawlty-themed evenings, but the Cleese empire objected, so that was that....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Much mud has been flung in Amazon’s direction.I simply could not have managed without their deliveries over the last three years. In many ways ,they have been a lifeline.This kind of service will make me look anew at Hattons…who also coincidentally come in for some stick on occasion.

Returning to the the Genesis coaches and particularly my Terrier hauled LBSCR  4-set, I found sufficient Hunt magnetic couplings to equip A to D but not either end of the set. After the initial fiddle…..the NEM boxes don’t look too secure..

I set them to work. The effect is of very near buffer to buffer coupling. My tabletop is a 28” radius roundy and at first there were derailments with the buffers fouling.Eventually though the ensemble settled down smoothly without further problems;the magnetic heads operating off centre between B&C and D&E without seemingly any difficulties.

IMHO,their use transforms these coaches into near prototypical use & appearance .It rids them of the toytown barn door gaps and those dreadful tension lock things. Just my experience anyway.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Much mud has been flung in Amazon’s direction.

It is possible, I find, to forgive most things (though obviously not Rings of Power)

I simply could not have managed without their deliveries over the last three years. In many ways ,they have been a lifeline.This kind of service will make me look anew at Hattons…who also coincidentally come in for some stick on occasion.

Here is not the place to speculate as to the causes of the Royal Mail's woes, or to attribute blame between unions and management, or government that simply looks on, over self-destructive trends and the apparent inability to modernise to meet market needs that afflicts the RM (and echoed, perhaps, in other industries, like the Railways). After all, where such a tussle is not taking place, we might have an outcome like the P&O management's cynical law-breaking.

The fact remains, certain private providers have made themselves indispensable. Postal strikes will only hasten the end unless a change of direction is identified and implemented. It is no good blaming those private providers, not least when we are becoming entirely dependent on them!

Amazon and Hattons have given good service where I am concerned, though I do also like to support smaller sellers where I can. 

Returning to the the Genesis coaches and particularly my Terrier hauled LBSCR  4-set, I found sufficient Hunt magnetic couplings to equip A to D but not either end of the set. After the initial fiddle…..the NEM boxes don’t look too secure..

I set them to work. The effect is of very near buffer to buffer coupling. My tabletop is a 28” radius roundy and at first there were derailments with the buffers fouling.Eventually though the ensemble settled down smoothly without further problems;the magnetic heads operating off centre between B&C and D&E without seemingly any difficulties.

IMHO,their use transforms these coaches into near prototypical use & appearance .It rids them of the toytown barn door gaps and those dreadful tension lock things. Just my experience anyway.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It is possible, I find, to forgive most things (though obviously not Rings of Power)

Ah a man of splendid taste.

Personally I think Hattons has certainly knocked things out of the park from the way these images show, and only some minor niggles around the NEM pockets.

It's fascinating how essentially freelance these coaches are... and nobody's moaning about how its not to pattern 68294 of the Wolverton/Swindwon/Derby works etc.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Din said:

Ah a man of splendid taste.

[bows gracefully]

Personally I think Hattons has certainly knocked things out of the park from the way these images show, and only some minor niggles around the NEM pockets.

I am impressed. I think new levels of detail and livery application, plus an impressive solution to providing a working 6-wheel chassis, are great achievements 

It's fascinating how essentially freelance these coaches are..

Several of them are close matches to West Norfolk Railway stock. Fortunately for me.There

. and nobody's moaning about how its not to pattern 68294 of the Wolverton/Swindwon/Derby works etc.

Well, some people make their distaste for freelance rolling stock obvious, yet most modellers have some improbable stock or combinations thereof that makes their model services freelance  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1