'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 23/12/2022 at 11:20, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

I suspect no one did because in .012" it would have been too thick. Most etched panelled coach sides are .012" but half etched so the beading is .006" deep, 1/2" in real terms.

Etched  in .006" brass, they would probably be fragile and difficult to handle.

Jol

Agreed. That, and the bodyshells would require all the raised detail (hinges, commode and door handles, ventilators etc.) sanding off before the overlay could be added, then re-adding again! I did look into laser cutting an overlay in thin paper but quickly came to the conclusion it would be an absolute nightmare... 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Agreed. That, and the bodyshells would require all the raised detail (hinges, commode and door handles, ventilators etc.) sanding off before the overlay could be added, then re-adding again! I did look into laser cutting an overlay in thin paper but quickly came to the conclusion it would be an absolute nightmare... 

Possibly you could use sticky backed paper as used for labels, leave the tads attached by a very small tab, apply the overlay and then remove the tads. Some tads such as those over ventilators will require removal first but then the gaps would act as a guide.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Possibly you could use sticky backed paper as used for labels, leave the tads attached by a very small tab, apply the overlay and then remove the tads. Some tads such as those over ventilators will require removal first but then the gaps would act as a guide.

Indeed! Another alternative would be to use a Silhouette cutter to cut self-adhesive black vinyl (not a laser cutter, as vinyl gives off rather nasty vapours when laser cut!) which ought to nicely fill in the gaps (which really ought to be black) between the gold lining on the 1922-27 livery.
(see https://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/7096989817/ below:) 

IMG_3019 - GWR

)

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I have finally opened my four LNWR coaches.  They are all six wheel, a brake third, composite/lav, tricomposite, and a full brake with lights.  The latter has lights as I ordered one without lights, but was contacted this summer(?)/ autumn to be told there were none and would I like one with lights?  AS I had waited nearly three years and it was only an extra six quid I went for it.  

They do look very nice.  There is a door in the middle of the tricomposite that has glass but either side is a panel. so I assume it is a luggage compartment.  They run very smoothly and freely, much more freely than the one I have from H****y.  (Am I allowed to use that word on this thread?)   I put them behind my Coal Tank, and 1) they prefer to go at Grandad speeds that Grandchildren speeds so they will probably be removed beforethe youngsters arrive, and 2) they have highlighted where I need to check my trackwork as they managed to find the bad bit nearly every time.

Pictures another time when the light in the railway room allows.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, amdaley said:

I have 4 LMS coaches stuck in Royal Mail since Dec 5th.

All it said all along was "Waiting for the item" even though they already had it.

Now the tracking system doesn't even work 🙄

True snail mail !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon everyone!

Don't forget that we are still open for feedback on our recently updated GER Stratford brown liveried Genesis coaches. You can provide feedback to us on this livery via ideas@hattons.co.uk or this article: https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/article?id=1305

We have nearly completed most of the artwork for this livery - which you can check out on the individual products here: https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/sub-types/4 and 6 wheel Genesis coaches/liveries/GER - Great Eastern Railway/sort/2

Cheers,
Dave

genesis-ger-artwork1.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Hattons Dave said:

Good afternoon everyone!

Don't forget that we are still open for feedback on our recently updated GER Stratford brown liveried Genesis coaches. You can provide feedback to us on this livery via ideas@hattons.co.uk or this article: https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/article?id=1305

We have nearly completed most of the artwork for this livery - which you can check out on the individual products here: https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/sub-types/4 and 6 wheel Genesis coaches/liveries/GER - Great Eastern Railway/sort/2

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

I guess you have read John Watling's articles on GER carriages?

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I have finally opened my four LNWR coaches.  They are all six wheel, a brake third, composite/lav, tricomposite, and a full brake with lights.  The latter has lights as I ordered one without lights, but was contacted this summer(?)/ autumn to be told there were none and would I like one with lights?  AS I had waited nearly three years and it was only an extra six quid I went for it.  

They do look very nice.  There is a door in the middle of the tricomposite that has glass but either side is a panel. so I assume it is a luggage compartment.  They run very smoothly and freely, much more freely than the one I have from H****y.  (Am I allowed to use that word on this thread?)   I put them behind my Coal Tank, and 1) they prefer to go at Grandad speeds that Grandchildren speeds so they will probably be removed beforethe youngsters arrive, and 2) they have highlighted where I need to check my trackwork as they managed to find the bad bit nearly every time.

Pictures another time when the light in the railway room allows.

LNWR Luggage Compartments were accessed by double doors without any glazing. Glazed doors were used in guards compartments in brake carriages, sometimes as one of a pair with an adjacent unglazed door. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

LNWR Luggage Compartments were accessed by double doors without any glazing. Glazed doors were used in guards compartments in brake carriages, sometimes as one of a pair with an adjacent unglazed door. 

Yes, er, generic.  It is not billed as a brake tricomposite, and it does not look like a toilet.  I will not mention that although it is a tricomposite, all the compartments are the same size.  However, it will take me years to get to even near building LNWR coaches, which for my layout, are 'though coaches' so are sort of extras.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

As er, threatened promised, here are some poor pictures on my hardly finished layout.

The full set of four LNWR Generic coaches.

1763713419_001Allfour.jpg.da20e0b74c61e5bb5365981fbe50b529.jpg

Notice, that my backscene/frontscene is not in place yet.

Now as they will be seen, and as can be seen by the four wheelers, this must be the Dolgellau train, so the through coaches are bound for Lime Street.

1789692585_002LimeStrret.jpg.8eb8f278e8a79af9ae9f492e5c1c9fe2.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2022 at 12:53, gr.king said:

No ornate painting/lining required if two existing decorated bodies are united end-to end. Careful trimming of the roof overhang and any other protruding details on the inner ends prior to joining would do the job. Little in the way of time, facilities or even dexterity really required too.

I suggest that marrying two short coach bodies to form a bogie coach is not to be undertaken lightly or wantonly. One would need to remove the ends of adjoining bodies in order to join them. Without removing at least one end, the join would look silly, as the instance of two adjacent vertical beading strips would be a bizarre design choice to say the least.

Removing the ends of a Hattons coach cleanly and precisely is by no means easy. I know this because I've done it.  Cutting and shutting is, again, not easy. This I have also done, both to a Genesis coach and to more Triang clerestories than I care to recall. In all cases, a repaint was part of the project, but would have been rendered necessary by the surgery in any case.

Unlike the Hornby coaches, the Hattons  body unit comprises sides, ends and floor moulded as a single piece. To cut off ends or through the body and to make a precise join on both sides of the coach would be difficult, and some filler and making good a complex livery would inevitably be involved. This is precisely what many purchasers of a pre-painted and lined pre-Grouping RTR coach would wish to avoid.

Better, then, a generic bogie coach, like the Genesis coaches in being prototypically literate, and detailed and decorated to modern standards to take the place of the venerable Triang clerestories. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I picked up my coaches during the week and my only criticism was the overly large gaps between the coaches. The fitters in the carriage shops found some EZ Mate couplings* in the stores and worked NYE butchering them to fit in the NEM pockets.

*Bought years ago from Hattons, 12 pairs for £2.00

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Fun with the Hattons Genesis.

I wanted some configurations not included in the range. These are early stage pictures, so there will be more tidying up and detailing, but do illustrate some of the options. 

A Luggage Composite can be produced by cutting and shutting and fits the 32' chassis. For the 4-compartment First, Hornby sides are substituted, Hattons commode handles can be added. Adding bolections to the quarterlights will be a bit of a pain, however:

946322873_20221121_162241.jpg.ecdbe7da78848327948ab0f6e9f84782-Copy.jpg.b1e42ac15ddf87c00b08da94f58f5f7f.jpg

Is it possible to reduce the chassis length?

Yes. This mock up, based on a Billinton D74, shows how a 30' 5-compartment Third might be made. 

20230102_160941.jpg.ed5dde51ce110d429fca02426bd67de7.jpg

I wonder if the same technique can be used to make a LT&S brake third with the guards compartment in the middle and a pair of compartments either side.

• Like 4

I had my coaches out at the Uckfield Model Railway Club last night and everyone was very impressed. We all think the color is a bit "Royal Mail Red" compared with most SE&CR coaches but they still were very good. What would look good, is if they were availible in  in London, Chatham and Dover Railways teak? That would look really good? 

I am going to P4 them, change the couplings for something more scale, weather the roof and if I am brave enough lightly weather the bodywork to tone down the color.. I think they will look very good behind a P Class.... 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MartinM said:

London, Chatham and Dover Railways teak? That would look really good? 

Lettering apart, would Chatham teak be any different to anyone else's teak?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, MartinM said:

I had my coaches out at the Uckfield Model Railway Club last night and everyone was very impressed. We all think the color is a bit "Royal Mail Red" compared with most SE&CR coaches but they still were very good. What would look good, is if they were availible in  in London, Chatham and Dover Railways teak? That would look really good? 

I am going to P4 them, change the couplings for something more scale, weather the roof and if I am brave enough lightly weather the bodywork to tone down the color.. I think they will look very good behind a P Class.... 

I think the coaches would be looking a bit drab by then. The SECR was created in 1899 and the P Class didn’t appear until 1909, and I think the teak would have been painted over in the intervening decade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

From what I remember reading, the last teak liveries disappeared largely by 1911, though there were a handful of particularly hardy examples possibly around as late as 1917, but not overly likely. Nearly everything by that point was some shade of brown or lake. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/01/2023 at 17:58, MartinM said:

For LCDR they must also switch to Oil (preferred) or Electric (rare in LCDR days) lighting and not gas as used on SECR sets here.

We would not need 16 coaches though. Maybe the box of 4 with a couple of additional 3rds would be suffice.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2023 at 18:57, AVS1998 said:

From what I remember reading, the last teak liveries disappeared largely by 1911, though there were a handful of particularly hardy examples possibly around as late as 1917, but not overly likely. Nearly everything by that point was some shade of brown or lake. 

Indeed, but they re-appeared on the Bluebell in preservation.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2023 at 17:21, Compound2632 said:

Lettering apart, would Chatham teak be any different to anyone else's teak?

Cannot comment on Chatham teak, but GER and GNR teaks were certainly different. 

The GNR was relatively reddish, whereas the GER teak shade, which was replicated by paint once the coaches could no longer maintain an adequate varnished finish, was more a golden brown/light tan. The shade is that shown by Rapido on its W&U tram coaches and on the recently announced Hattons GER coaches. 

The Hattons GNR teak finish is lovely, BTW.

• Like 5