'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Likewise the underframes and bogies...

I thought that was a given. 😅 

Come to think of it, I can't remember if the interiors were much cop either. My gut tells me the compartment doors are about as accurate as the rest of the coach.

• Funny 2

My modest rake of five SECR coaches (4 pack and full brake) finally arrived after their perilous trans-Atlantic crossing. They are very nice, though I haven't managed to take a roof off yet - on quite tight and almost no space between the roof edge and the body.

The only "issue" I have is that the 6-wheeled coaches with lights are apparently useful for finding where my track's transitions from lower to higher height (at the end of a 2% grade) are mildly abrupt. The pickup is, of course, only at the outer axles, and one or the other axle will lift as it rocks over the transition. The lift itself is imperceptible, but enough for the lights to go out. It's quite brief, so some sort of stay alive should do the trick. I'm still mulling over adding decoders. The lights are a bit bright for 1910 SECR I think. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jaym481 said:

The lights are a bit bright for 1910 SECR I think. 

Possibly a bit bright for anything pre-electric?

Oil would likely be quite dim, gas is reasonably bright if using a mantle.

A fish tail is not very bright (did they use them in coaches?)

The colour might need to change as gas lights are a different colour to oil lights and are different to filament bulbs.

The one decoder per coach is also a bit extravagant as the cheapest Next18 is about 50% the cost of a coach,

The conductive couplings mentioned earlier would allow a rake with just one decoder. Something to consider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The conductive couplings mentioned earlier would allow a rake with just one decoder. Something to consider.

Or I might just try a 1.0mm micro JST 2 pin plug & socket.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems like there ought to be a simple circuit that could be made, a small cap and a resistor for DCC operation.  DCC track power being constant, you could size the resistor for the appropriate level of DIM, and the cap would function as a stay alive.  The lights would be on all the time, but that would be secondary to DIM lights. 

Anyone electrical minded that has any thoughts along these lines?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

The one decoder per coach is also a bit extravagant as the cheapest Next18 is about 50% the cost of a coach,

The funxtional difference of course is that you turn them all on or off at the same time rather than each carriage individually.

If you want a greater degree of control, you wire them using 3 functions, one for the coach containing the decoder, another for those forward of it and a the third foe the coaches to the rear

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the interests of providing information on close coupling to the avid readers of this thread, I took my life into my hands and used a scalpel and burr to remove the mounting ribs of the coupling.

Before after unscrewing the coupling block.

DSC00388.JPG.ecd59e3759f2b404acd950455cec150b.JPG

After removing the ribs and bush for the screw.

DSC00389.JPG.a2eb4f7543c56425b32a15126bf28119.JPG

The platform behind the headstock needs to be removed to the width of the Symoba slider but I forgot to take a photo. The slider needs to be glued to the coach floor so that the standard length pocket front projects 0.5mm in front of the headstock. The rigid coupling bar is the Symoba screw-type drawbar #4.

DSC00390.JPG.9f79260eb9c71718c8bd3c3554e66d1a.JPG

DSC00391.JPG.fb09470546e184d53d8ce82ca3f51026.JPG

Here's how they look when another has been done.

DSC00392.JPG.d64b64353079a9db6956295d83b28ea8.JPG

DSC00393.JPG.01b4b777c5d731b930fbc4c33580f0dc.JPG

On a slight curve.

DSC00394.JPG.512253a048c23164af7ca4b3b95e2c6d.JPG

Edit

Supplies of Symoba couplings seem hard to get especially the screw-type drawbar.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

Seems like there ought to be a simple circuit that could be made, a small cap and a resistor for DCC operation.  DCC track power being constant, you could size the resistor for the appropriate level of DIM, and the cap would function as a stay alive.  The lights would be on all the time, but that would be secondary to DIM lights. 

Anyone electrical minded that has any thoughts along these lines?

Hornby included capacitors on their Mk2e a few years back and they would keep the coaches lighted for a few seconds. They include them on their APT, but these ones must be completely gutless as they will flicker out going over frogs.

Now for their Mk3s and generics, they use batteries, which I'm not keen on as they will rot over time in storage.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of warning regarding attaching Symoba sliders with glue. 

When using solvent or a liquid cement, it can "wick" up past the clips that hold the slider case together. 

If it does, it will stick the moving part to the case and it's Game Over.

Guess who discovered that the hard way! 

It can be prevented by first introducing a small drop of oil into the slot and working the unit to-and-fro to ensure the inside is coated. After fixing, the oil can be flushed out with lighter fuel to avoid any possibility of it affecting the plastic in the longer term. What I used seems not to, but oil is variable stuff.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

A word of warning regarding attaching Symoba sliders with glue. 

When using solvent or a liquid cement, it can "wick" up past the clips that hold the slider case together. 

If it does, it will stick the moving part to the case and Game Over.

Guess who discovered that the hard way! 

It can be prevented by first introducing a small drop of oil into the slot and working the unit to-and-fro to ensure the inside is coated. After fixing, the oil can be flushed out with lighter fuel to avoid any possibility of it affecting the plastic in the longer term. What I used seems not to, but oil is variable stuff.

John

I used Evo-Stik as it allows for adjustments before it goes off.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Or perhaps they've heard that Hornby have reworked their J15 to do the Y14 in GER livery. Probably unlikely but didn't Hattons do something similar a few years ago when they moved the LBSCR coaches into Batch 1 shortly before Hornby announced their own generic range.

I'm remonded of when Hattons included an Improved Precedent in their formation guide for these coaches.... and everyone said "But there is no Improved Precedent available to run with these coaches...."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2022 at 13:51, JohnR said:

I dont actually have one, so cant be certain, but the paint is doing a good impression of beading here.

image.png.0fcaef71d71cd6691ed8f514864627ce.png

Much in the same way Liz Truss did a good impression of a Prime Minister, I'm afraid.

The Bettabitz brass sides can be used (out of production?), but the amount of hacking required of the Hornby coach made me wonder if it was worth starting from with scratch!

It did cross my mind that one of those clever laser-cutting chaps could perhaps produce a beading layer to apply to these coaches, thus instantly converting them from useless to very useful models. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Much in the same way Liz Truss did a good impression of a Prime Minister, I'm afraid.

The Bettabitz brass sides can be used (out of production?), but the amount of hacking required of the Hornby coach made me wonder if it was worth starting from with scratch!

It did cross my mind that one of those clever laser-cutting chaps could perhaps produce a beading layer to apply to these coaches, thus instantly converting them from useless to very useful models. 

Better off starting with the last Triang version R332/3, which can be cut'n'shut into various genuine coaches.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I was always a little surprised that no one did such a filigree in etched brass, which would have been much more "doable" than full sides for those less inclined to performing major surgery! 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I was always a little surprised that no one did such a filigree in etched brass, which would have been much more "doable" than full sides for those less inclined to performing major surgery! 

John

John,

I suspect no one did because in .012" it would have been too thick. Most etched panelled coach sides are .012" but half etched so the beading is .006" deep, 1/2" in real terms.

Etched  in .006" brass, they would probably be fragile and difficult to handle.

Jol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Better off starting with the last Triang version R332/3, which can be cut'n'shut into various genuine coaches.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html

And, as I think was mentioned earlier in the thread, famously cut and shut into various southern pre-group coaches in the 60s series of article in the Railway Modeller by Terry Gough. 

• Like 2