'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If the strikes continue I can see those model shops which choose to offer only Royal Mail as an option will lose out. Rails were in this position but now offer DPD as an alternative.

The ones hardest hit will be the small suppliers (many on ebay) that sent items out in letter size padded packets.

I can't see the large couriers being interested in that business and at typically minimum of £4 - £5 per item it's also expensive for low value items compared to RM's letter pricing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Ok a couple more pics. This time a Precedent taking 4 SECR and 2 LBSCR lighted coaches for tour.

I'm tempted to get the LNWR ones too...

I can't remember when the joint LBSCR-LNWR running of the Sunny South Special began - although the impression left by the LBSCR's superheated Marsh I3 compared to the Whale Precursor was clearly dramatic - but a Precedent on LBSCR stock seems utterly plausible. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if it's already been covered, but I've come late to the party when Hattons announced the B/G, red and black ones.

Were or would these coaches have been fitted with Mansell or some form of wooden wheel originally?

Mike.

As they're generic coaches not based on any particular prototype, the answer is really whatever you choose.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I can't remember when the joint LBSCR-LNWR running of the Sunny South Special began - although the impression left by the LBSCR's superheated Marsh I3 compared to the Whale Precursor was clearly dramatic - but a Precedent on LBSCR stock seems utterly plausible. 

Many thanks for the nod. I’ve just put Hardwick on my LBSC  4-set. Looks suitably vintage & antique,if not quite authentic, I would prefer LNWR Genesis but Hattons cupboard is sadly bare. ATM is appears it’s Hornby alone have the field. A nice cash return for Hattons it seems,which is really good for us all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

1905, and the superheated I3s were used on the train from 1910 I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done to Hattons for reacting by sending parcel Amazon instead of Post Office . While I have a lot of sympathy for our posties I sense business could transfer away permanently . I've been waiting for a high value item shipped by Royal Mail on a guaranteed 24 hour delivery which took 10 days to get here . Yes I know there's been a strike and consequent disruption but even so  its not very reliable at moment!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

From the LNWR Society Webbsite.

"A weekday train which ran between the LNWR and Eastbourne, via Brighton. In the years before 1914, the main portion left Manchester at 11.20; Liverpool and Birmingham portions were attached at Rugby; the return train left Eastbourne at 11.25. At the beginning of Bowen Cooke’s term as Locomotive Superintendent, LBSC superheater tank engines took the train to and from Rugby and experience with these engines may have been instrumental in his introduction of superheating on the LNWR."

And,

"Some other companies over whose lines LNWR carriages ran used air brakes, for example the London Brighton and South Coast Railway; so carriages on the “Sunny South Special”  had to be dual-braked. And, of course, such carriages could be substituted for WCJS carriages in emergency."

It is my understanding that the weekly Sunny South Specials were LNWR stock  dual fitted as for the WCJS carriages that ran over Caledonian Railway lines, but built 8ft wide to suit the LBSCR loading gauge. The were hauled by LBSCR locos over that company's lines for obvious reasons. So the idea of a vacuum fitted Precedent hauling pretend LBSC stock as the Sunny South Special requires a considerable suspension of disbelief. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

For other combinations how about the "Sunny Coast Express" which ran from the south coast to Birmingham and was joint with the GWR?

There are photos in the 20s with non corridor 8 wheel stock but how about earlier?

There is a lovely photo on the warwickshire railways site with a T9 no. 313 heading north at Hatton station:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhj108.htm

gwrhj108.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well done to Hattons for reacting by sending parcel Amazon instead of Post Office . While I have a lot of sympathy for our posties I sense business could transfer away permanently . I've been waiting for a high value item shipped by Royal Mail on a guaranteed 24 hour delivery which took 10 days to get here . Yes I know there's been a strike and consequent disruption but even so  its not very reliable at moment!

Tell me about it.

I have three packages coming to Ireland stuck in Royal Mail at the moment & they haven't even been scanned into their system even though they've had two of then since last Friday 🙄

Deliveries being slow I can understand but not scanning in tracked items is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

If you want a place that saw many liveries together in pre-grouping days, it has to be Carlisle Citadel.  I don't think M&CR,G&SWR or any of the Joint Stock liveries are produced/planned by either Hattons or Hornby though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Michael Hodgson said:

If you want a place that saw many liveries together in pre-grouping days, it has to be Carlisle Citadel.  I don't think M&CR,G&SWR or any of the Joint Stock liveries are produced/planned by either Hattons or Hornby though.

Well, the WCJS carried LNWR livery and the MSJS carried Midland livery in all but minor details of the lettering.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So the idea of a vacuum fitted Precedent hauling pretend LBSC stock as the Sunny South Special requires a considerable suspension of disbelief. 

But 'pretend' stock could surely be fitted with any brake then known to man - Heberlein cable brake, anyone? - and thus dual-fitted LBSCR 4/6-wheelers could easily have made it to Rugby, as did their locos, at least. Rocket hauling a Mk III this isn't. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, the WCJS carried LNWR livery and the MSJS carried Midland livery in all but minor details of the lettering.

Interesting, so I wonder if this would be plausible ?  (Precedent with Hornby Caledonian carriages).

SECR_Genesis_45.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But 'pretend' stock could surely be fitted with any brake then known to man - Heberlein cable brake, anyone? - and thus dual-fitted LBSCR 4/6-wheelers could easily have made it to Rugby, as did their locos, at least. Rocket hauling a Mk III this isn't. 

I think that gives me the same problem in mixing my Genesis LBSCR and SECR stock as the former was normally air braked while the latter vacuum braked. Unless we are doing a preserved scene where air is probably replaced by Vacuum as a matter on convenience. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I think that gives me the same problem in mixing my Genesis LBSCR and SECR stock as the former was normally air braked while the latter vacuum braked. Unless we are doing a preserved scene where air is probably replaced by Vacuum as a matter on convenience. 

LCDR stock was air braked before the merger - and at least some was retained as dual-brake for interworking with the LBSCR. I'm not sure whether any Brighton stock was dual braked however.

• Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, amdaley said:

Tell me about it.

I have three packages coming to Ireland stuck in Royal Mail at the moment & they haven't even been scanned into their system even though they've had two of then since last Friday 🙄

Deliveries being slow I can understand but not scanning in tracked items is another matter.

I have the same problem with 2 parcels from Hatton's. Unfortunately I didn't realize the industrial action was going to be more than just occasional days of down tools. If I had known, I might have made a better effort to combine the packages and send by the unfortunately far more expensive (at least to Canada) courier.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Legend said:

You only realise what you had when you lost it.

:offtopic:

Its all very well saying alternative parcel couriers are available - but NONE of them have a thing called a Universal Service Obligation, deliver letters, have pan UK pricing (private couriers charge more for 'awkward' (i.e. remote areas like the Scottish highlands), etc

Its pretty clear that the Royal Mail group are trying to position themselves so that they can flog off the profitable parcel side of the business and leave the letter / USO side to wither and die , presumably in the hope the Government will be forced to take it on / subsidise it.

The current issue with postal workers is directly attributable to the determination to make the letters division fund itself by a wholesale attack on staffs Terms, Conditions and Pay - rather than do the ethical thing and use the profitable parcel side to fund the 'social' side of the business as doing so hampers the prospects of flogging off the parcel division.

Regrettably a typical British disease - enthusiastically embraced by a certain political party where profitable state enterprises are flogged off to their mates in the city and the taxpayers / employees are left to pick up the pieces that get left behind through high subsidies and attacks on workers pay, T&Cs, etc.

So while I can fully appreciate why businesses moving away from Royal Mail - I personally am quite happy to stick with RM wherever possible put up with the delays for most things - not for my benefit but because RM deserves to survive!

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12