MAUNSELL PASENGER BRAKE C

paul 27

BR Parcels and Passenger Rated Stock Vol 1 by David Larkin has the following photos "off region":

S950S at Spalding in 1968, S663S at Carlisle in 1970 and S747S at Chester in 1968.

So by the late 1960s they certainly wandered but prior to that I couldn't say.

• RMweb Gold

NPCCS that was not earmarked for circuit working was pooled at Nationalisation, and probably got everywhere within a few months.  The Southern's PMV's certainly spread themselves around very quickly and rapidly, and the van Cs no doubt followed.  I'd say that in general any layout set between 1950 and the late 70s anywhere in the country could legitimately include one.  Liveries on NPCCS lasted a long time, and these wooden bodied types were usually so filthy you couldn't tell what colour they were, so a 50s layout could have them in Southern livery, a 60s one in crimson and so on.

The same goes for Hawksworth, Stanier, and Gresley/Thompson BGs, GW Siphons, and so on.

On 01/10/2019 at 21:06, TheSignalEngineer said:

Although almost everyone tells us that the Van C was jealously guarded by the SR and they didn't like them to stray. I found a picture of one being shunted by an LNW Coal Tank at New Street c1953.

The stove fitted ones weren't supposed to stray off Southern metals ...... but like all rules this one got broken.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

The stove fitted ones weren't supposed to stray off Southern metals ...... but like all rules this one got broken.

I found the picture of it but not sure about posting as I can't remember where I scanned it from.

It was definitely a Stove version as it's got a chimney on the side nearest the camera. 

It means I've no need to apply Rule 1 as it's even coupled to the Coal Tank 58900 that I have on my layout.

• RMweb Gold

Stove fitted Cs were supposed to be on circuit working and not to leave the Southern unless the booked return working took them back there.  Perhaps the photo shows a shunting movement with a vehicle from a regular SR-Birmingham and return parcels working that could not be steam heated for some reason.  

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Stove fitted Cs were supposed to be on circuit working and not to leave the Southern unless the booked return working took them back there.  Perhaps the photo shows a shunting movement with a vehicle from a regular SR-Birmingham and return parcels working that could not be steam heated for some reason.  

Would anybody bother to connect all the steam heat pipes between, perhaps, twenty vehicles if the guard at the rear would be the only beneficiary ? .....  and how much heat would he actually get at the tail of a long train ?

Moreover, there was a very specific steam heat season when hoses were removed ......... but chilly nights can occur at any time of year and coal is was always available for a stove.

Edited by Wickham Green