The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bacon butties are OK.

PhilJ W

Keep taking the chlorestrol.

In one of my recent day-jobs, I had the pleasure of working with two UK doctors responsible for online continuous training programmes. To keep all UK-registered doctors up-to-speed with medical research and developments after they have graduated.

One day, two very long faces. Why? They were trying to grasp the nettle of explaining to several 10,000's of UK doctors that the last 30+ years of Low Fat Diet medical advice turns out to all be built on top of just one piece of research that turns out to be fraudulent. The researcher in question was an ardent self-publicist who cherry-picked data to suit his connections and sources of income.

Chlorestrol is an essential part of our well-being. In extreme low-chlorestrol diets, some people get neurological problems. This should not be a surprise, as c.50% of our brains are made up of chlorestrol. It is in effect the insulation around the neural pathways. Think of it in turns of electrical wiring i.e. no insulation = short circuits and damage.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

There's even more fun in store when it has to be explained that the 'BMI' (body mass index) is a known inadequate metric. (Developed by the RCAF I believe, and really only relevant to fit circa 20 y.o. males.) The data suggests that being in the 'overweight' range in post-30 adult life is associated with best long term health outcomes and life expectancy. (Lean and fit up to age 30, and after that you can let yourself go a little...) Unless of course there is some contra-indication from a known health condition.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great central said:

Well I've just had one of these and I feel even less guilty now than I did before the reading the article. Also walked a mile or so to get here and the same going back

IMG_20190307_123226285.jpg

Only one egg?? Four or more for me; henfruit is the best part of breakfast!:biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::yahoo_mini::biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

No, I was just  trying to encourage more eating of venison. Far too many deer around here now.

In my yard, he (she?) shows up occasionally, sometimes with a friend:

884495415_Deerinyard-002.JPG.5a9fb4d1b9699c2dd6b83969de73be54.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Green meat is good for you.

soylent_green_poster_by_party9999999-d3e

Jason

I interpreted that as a statement that the stuff is made from recycled men and women in equal measures.....

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I interpreted that as a statement that the stuff is made from recycled men and women in equal measures.....

John 

It's from the film Soylent Green with Charlton Heston set in the far future (at the time) of 2022.

SPOILER ALERT.

People think they are eating a mixture of soy and lentils, but it's not....

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Only one egg?? Four or more for me; henfruit is the best part of breakfast!:biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::yahoo_mini::biggrin_mini:

In fact eggs contain all the nutrients you require and in the right proportions. I keep hard boiled eggs in their shells in the fridge for snacks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Dad comes out with a typically Suffolk nugget of wisdom when new dietary advice is proffered.

"Living's bad for you boy."

C6T. 

Best take on this sort of thing I ever heard was,

"If you give up everything that's supposed to be bad for you, you may or may not live longer, but it will sure as hell feel like it".

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Dad comes out with a typically Suffolk nugget of wisdom when new dietary advice is proffered.

"Living's bad for you boy."

C6T. 

True. It's the one thing that's guaranteed to be fatal in 100% of cases.

John

• Agree 5

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In fact eggs contain all the nutrients you require and in the right proportions. I keep hard boiled eggs in their shells in the fridge for snacks.

Is it still a thing that bread and bananas will give a human everything one needs in terms of a sustenance diet? ie potassium and all the other stuff, enough to live on basically? 

C6T. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

True. It's the one thing that's guaranteed to be fatal in 100% of cases.

John

Not many dead folk in the doctor's waiting room John, that's for sure. Were there to be, I'd recommend a change of GP. Pronto.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John 

Given the accepted gender spread, yes it is! 

I'm guessing this dystopian nightmare film passed John by, but I have to fess up that I don't think I've ever actually seen it either, though it's kernel plot is familiar to me.

Similar was suggested in Logan's Run, but I'm unsure if Logan and Ms. Agutter's run-in with the bonkers 'bot Box gained as much traction as was blatantly core to Soylent Green.

C6T. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Only because I didn't have my bottle of Hendos with me.

The world of sausage condiments will never see you in the same light. A sausage two timer, that's what you are.

• Agree 3

Brown sauce - My favourite WAS Beetop - but I've never seen it for years. Currently I like Asda's own brand brown sauce.  Sainsburys own sauce was OK till a couple of years ago, it's now very vinegary and runny. HP / Daddies / Heinz etc I've never really liked. 

Each to their own though.

Bacon (fried breakfast) for me just on Saturday & Sunday "brunches" these days - not a lot either. - Usually porridge Mon to Friday. I had a quad heart by pass in 2011 caused mainly by many years of wrong diet (pie / fish & chips etc for weeks on end on standby duties etc). . I've cut down greatly (but not completely) on the so called "bad stuff". One pie per week also these days, :cry::cry::cry: An occasional rare treat is a  jaunt to the chippie .

I rarely use emojis = except where food is concerned  !!

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Y'know the Danny Baker conundrum right? Red sauce/brown sauce/no sauce. 

It was never asked, are the sausages hot or cold? Hot sausages, red sauce. Cold sausages, no sauce. Obvs. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Agree 2