Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, the vast majority of those military or honours. There's no everyday stuff like "BLT", "HST" or even "TTFN" among them (not sure that Dr. for doctor is really relevant). I do see that conscription and National Service in the immediate Post-WWII world might have accustomed the civilian population to the use of TLAs and the like though.

I guess on RMWeb BLT is just as likely to be Branch Line Terminus as a Sandwich.

For WWII how about BURMA and SWALK etc.?

• Like 2

Are you sure a Tri Bo wouldn't fit? The inspiration for me to post that was from the final NSWGR 86 class, No. 8650, which was built as a Tri Bo. I am aware that this is an electric prototype, but I'm sure it will work on a diesel.

The JNR DD51 is a diesel-hydraulic B-2-B so it should be possible. Many pages back I did a class 17 Bo-Bo-Bo inspired by this.

EDIT: The DJ class in New Zealand is a diesel-electric Bo-Bo-Bo.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU

I don’t dispute that the population were familiar with acronyms post -WW2. My point was that they weren’t generally used as brand names in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Hence names like Blue Pullman, Triumph Bonneville and Daytona, the proliferation of named chocolate bars, the various small sporting roadsters now collectively referred to as “Spridgefires”, the Japanese “bullet train” or (possibly one of the most successful and enduring railway brand names of them all) ..... FLYING SCOTSMAN!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t dispute that the population were familiar with acronyms post -WW2. My point was that they weren’t generally used as brand names in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Hence names like Blue Pullman, Triumph Bonneville and Daytona, the proliferation of named chocolate bars, the various small sporting roadsters now collectively referred to as “Spridgefires”, the Japanese “bullet train” or (possibly one of the most successful and enduring railway brand names of them all) ..... FLYING SCOTSMAN!

"Flying Scotsman"?  The service or the disintegrating loco thats fallen off its wheels again?

I agree. If you're selling directly to the public, a journalist, or within an enthusiast group, then often a catch name may have more impact than than a corporate acronym.  But if you want to position a product as new/advanced, particularly if its an improvement/refurbishment of a current product, then you need a name that is in advance of the zeitgeist.

InterCity 125 was used in parallel with HST, marketing vs corpspeak. Both can be used to designate the same concept.

• Like 1

Are you sure a Tri Bo wouldn't fit? The inspiration for me to post that was from the final NSWGR 86 class, No. 8650, which was built as a Tri Bo. I am aware that this is an electric prototype, but I'm sure it will work on a diesel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

You should be able to see the boxes and tanks crammed in between the bogies.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I was going to post this picture before. It's for clarity.

Ah, silly me - I was trying to fit a Tri-Co in the space...

post-238-0-80963500-1510304701_thumb.jpg

How's that?

• Like 7

Ah, silly me - I was trying to fit a Tri-Co in the space...

attachicon.giftribo47.jpg

How's that?

Looks good! That was more or less what I was imagining for my GBL conversion. Although I imagined it a bit closer to the 86 I posted earlier, with round fuel tanks. Although I don't think 47's had round underframe tanks though. Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban
  • Like 1

"Flying Scotsman"?  The service or the disintegrating loco thats fallen off its wheels again?

I agree. If you're selling directly to the public, a journalist, or within an enthusiast group, then often a catch name may have more impact than than a corporate acronym.  But if you want to position a product as new/advanced, particularly if its an improvement/refurbishment of a current product, then you need a name that is in advance of the zeitgeist.

InterCity 125 was used in parallel with HST, marketing vs corpspeak. Both can be used to designate the same concept.

The point about InterCity was that it was GENUINELY new and GENUINELY a great improvement over its predecessors. Rail travellers with limited knowledge beyond how to book a ticket, aren’t in the corporatespeak zone. Hence the persistence of terms like WAGN Train, because the bewildering succession of EMUs with liveries like soft drink cans, and TOC names of the Judean Peoples Liberation Front sort, simply don’t register. Travellers know they are a second-class service at a second-tier price and that’s all they care.

My personal favourite (a NSWGR Railmotor Carriage Code) is TBR. Trailer First Restaurant (the NSWGR's First and Second class codes were kind of dumb in my opinion). It's just a really distinctive code that just sticks to me.

post-32712-0-53295800-1510391669.png

From the Rail Motor Society

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban
  • Like 1

Hows this for a idea. There are lots of SD40s going for scrap in the USA, so how about buying the bogies and motors off these, a simple I beam underframe, and class 58 cabs. Inbetween you fit the electrical systems and a last mile diesel engine. A class 86 replacement with the heavy haul needed, 2000 ton freights and 4500hp at rail. The only reason you use 86s in multiple is because of tractive effort, not that you need 8000hp.

• Like 3

A 67 stretched to the same length as a 66 with an extra bogie. Room to fit the 4300 hp 16-710G3C engine and still run at 125 mph with minimum impact on the track. Probably powerful enough to maintain an HST schedule with 8 x Mk 3 and a DVT.

post-6959-0-39524200-1510641729_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 5

Take that body and put the bogies off the 89 under it and you will have a good idea of the loco that EWS wanted originally, but Brush wanted too much monies for the bogie.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's special about the class 89 bogies? (this is imaginary locos after all, it may give me ideas ;) )

• Like 1