Class 124 in the north West

ElectroSoldier

Hi guys.

I was wondering if somebody could tell me more about the usage of the Class 124 DMU in the North West of England.

I recently found a nice old photo of a Class 124 sitting on the Down Waterloo in Tuebrook sidings carrying the head code 1M50 on its blinds. Its BR blue with grey windows and its made up of at least 4 coaches.

Can somebody tell me some more about these units in Liverpool as wiki has surprising little about them. I remember little of them in this area. I remember the Class 31 hauled services but not these.

3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Tuebrook in the Liverpool area isn't it?  Those units worked the Trans-Pennine Liverpool/Hull etc services for many years.

https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-124/ has a potted history

Yes Tuebrook sidings is the sidings to the north of Edge hill station, its where GBRf run around their Drax trains on the Up and Down Waterloo lines.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worked the Trans Pennines until replaced by vastly over powered Class 40s, 45s, 47s and even Deltics*. The Class 31/4s were later and mainly went to Sheffield. These were then replaced by Sprinters.

*Mainly trying to find something for them to do after they had been replaced by HSTs.

Jason

Arrr now thats interesting because I remember the 40s very well indeed, its where I got my love for them, and the 45s.

I didnt know the 124 was doing the route before... The 55s I remember of course. One hell of a thing it was up through Olive Mount cutting they were.

How many coaches were they made up of?

Edited by ElectroSoldier

• RMweb Gold

The Trans Pennines then were made up of seven bogies. five 2nd opens, one 1st class, and one BG.

The BG, then 1st class, was always (99%) at the Liverpool end.

Kev.

• Agree 1

The 124 units initially were 6-car units, with four of those motored. Later the Trailer Buffet and one (non-driving) Motor Brake Second were removed and they were reduced to four car sets with engines and transmissions removed from the erstwhile non-driving motor brake second, leaving them with two powered cars and two non-powered. Later on, the Swindon class 123 units were transferred up north from the Western Region and mixed in with the mechanically similar 124s.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

At one time in the early 70s there was a late afternoon Manchester Victoria to Blackpool South and return working for one of these sets. I was very surprised, the first time I saw this (and rode on one from Preston to Blackpool and back), as until then I thought that they only ran on the Liverpool Lime Street to Hull services.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

the 124s worked the lime street -hull 

and lime street - york services 

whilst the lime street - newcastles were a type 4 and 11 mk 1s 

they were then combined with the class 123 sets and moved onto the north transpenine  manchester piccadilly - cleethorpes services before they were in turn taken over by class 31 and lhs