The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Wigton and then that part of the west coast.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Off to a wedding near Wigton on Wednesday afternoon (sigh.....). We have Wednesday morning and early afternoon until about 14.00 to look around Wigton and nearby and then all day Thursday to explore more widely. If anyone is 'local' and/or could give us some pointers to some pleasant places to see around St Bees/Whitehaven, perhaps Silloth area and that part of the coast. Interests are birds and lovely gardens/Houses, Churches and just looking at another area. Probably will use the train(s) on the Thursday. Not wanting to go far (e.g. Carlisle) and have done Keswick several times and I'm not able to walk far at the moment, especially climbs. Have the car but would use the bus if possible. I can look that sort of thing up but there isn't info like 'inside' info. Bit of a long shot for a 'small area' but might there be any  fish and chip places in the area that do Gluten Free?

Thanks a lot.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I know it’s probably a bit late now but Silloth is worth a look for a couple of hours max, there is a little museum in the library (open til 4pm) that has a lot about the local wildlife and a couple of models of the old railway station and yard 

again a bit late but the main chippy in silloth prides itself on having gluten free batter etc, always massive queues there though which is the downside but there are other chippies in town too 

There is also a toy soldier museum and a new motorcycle museum (not been to that yet though) 

davidsons ice creams on the front for a nice selection of ices

there is a new statue on the front of a guy on a bench looking out over the Solway, it’s about 15ft high, really nice 

A bit further south in maryport there is a little aquarium, maritime museum and a very good roman museum

We have a static caravan in silloth so come here every year (I’m sat in the van typing this) and we’ve still not ventured too far into the Lake District as it’s just normally too busy, cockermouth is nice too, Wordsworth’s house, brewery, river side walks etc, Whitehaven has a rum museum and quite a nice quayside area too (and a weatherspoons!) 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Maryport is not far away, it's got lots of history (as far back as the Romans) and the harbour is a delight. You may need to take a phrase book with you should you want to converse with the locals though. I would also call at Whitehaven, it has the distinction of having being bombarded by John Paul Jones in the american war of independence.

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, that's really useful. Next time...……….. just did the Wedding near Wigton on Wednesday and then SWMBO was 'fragile' on Thursday so only got to the Pharmacist in Wigton 08.45 Thursday morning and then a great pub in Caldbeck for food on Thursday evening when she had 'revived'! Yup, whole day recovery; that's usually me!

Despite the traffic I do enjoy the drive on the A66, Stainmore etc. Scotch Corner Rest Area has great GF sarnies in the small M & S outlet.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022