The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How to edit a video - preferably FOC!

spikey

Mrs Spikey has taken to following one of three exercise videos every morning which we got off a DVD.  I've succeeded in copying them onto her laptop, but she's getting vexed by all the waffle between the exercises so I'd like to cut that out for her.  Question is though, what can I use to do that without spending money on software we're unlikely to have another use for?

We're running the current version of Windows 10, and I've looked into Windows Video Editor but it seems that it's only good for shortening the overall length of a video - not chopping chunks out of it.  Does anybody please know of either free software that will do this, or something with a free trial period?

Microsoft's Movie Maker is good for this. It is no longer actually offered by Microsoft but can still be found for download online as part of a package called Microsoft Essentials (most components of which are anything but essential!). Microsoft say it is not compatible with Windows 10, but I have been running it on three different computers and laptops at home and at work with no problems whatsoever.

Movie Maker is not a high end editor but allows trimming, clipping and joining of video segments, with transitions and captions able to be added too. There's also a stability control which works better for some types of shake and movement than for others (it can give model railway videos a bit of a stop/start effect through trying to stop the movement!).

I use it for quick editing and cutting out unnecessary or tedious bits of my own videos, and have posted some of the end results on YouTube. For much higher end editing, I use Pinnacle Studio, which does cost money, but does a lot more than Movie Maker. Even so, for a freebie, I do like Microsoft's product.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, SRman said:

Microsoft's Movie Maker ... can give ... railway videos a bit of a stop/start effect through trying to stop the movement!

Thanks for that! I had noticed that effect on on-line videos, and also when I used MMM to put my own films onto DVD. Now I know why.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, DIW said:

Thanks for that! I had noticed that effect on on-line videos, and also when I used MMM to put my own films onto DVD. Now I know why.

Yes, it is really a case of deciding the trade-off: which is better or worse, the stop-start effect or the camera shake and wobble for any given bit of footage?

Edited by SRman