1930's Photo/Postcard album

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys, I had a client come into work this morning and she has consigned a small pocket sized photo album and a large postcard album to auction.

With her permission, I am sharing some images here for you to enjoy.

The small photos are original and taken by her Dad pre war, mainly LMS & LNER. The postcard album is a mixture mainly of commercial prints bought at the time but also has some of his originals in postcard format.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The shot of 2960 was taken at Crewe south, and there are several slightly different views, all dated 15 August 1937. Some are credited to E.R. Morten and some to J. Goodman, so possibly an organised shed tour. Most, though have enginemen about the loco.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

That's because it is some sort of turbine attempt from Beyer Peacock.

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/ljungstrom.html

D

Thought it looked familiar. There is a rear three quarters shot of the other side of the loco in 'Railways' The Pictorial Railway Journal of January 1947, which I happened to have found and read a few weeks ago. Also includes pictures of 6202 and 6399 (LMS) and 10000 (LNER).

If you want to know about it try 'The LMS Turbomotive' by Jeremy Clements and Kevin Robertson, Crecy Publishing (2016) ISBN 978-1-9093-2852-5. Despite the title, it isn't just about 6202 but covers railway turbine locos generally and in some detail.