Triang class 33 history and recollections

Hi, I am doing a retro review article on the Triang class 33. Does anyone have any recollections of this loco? Also when did it first appear etc, 

On another point I am trying to build a recreation of a 1950's Triang layout with standard track. The class 33 pictured has had new brushes and wheel sets fitted, but will not run on Triang standard track. It runs OK on normal modern track.

On the Triang track it will not go round even 2nd radius curves, without the gears screaming and slipping. I have tried to pick the least warped and twisted track with no joy.

I know of the link below.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/indexlocoD.html

Regards,Geoff.

c1.JPG

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Classic Collect said:

Hi, I am doing a retro review article on the Triang class 33. Does anyone have any recollections of this loco? Also when did it first appear etc, 

On another point I am trying to build a recreation of a 1950's Triang layout with standard track. The class 33 pictured has had new brushes and wheel sets fitted, but will not run on Triang standard track. It runs OK on normal modern track.

On the Triang track it will not go round even 2nd radius curves, without the gears screaming and slipping. I have tried to pick the least warped and twisted track with no joy.

I know of the link below.

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/indexlocoD.html

Regards,Geoff.

c1.JPG

Err - no, it's a Class 31 ....

... except that the class designations hadn't been invented at the time that the model was introduced.

We trainspotters would have called them 55-ers, whereas our Ian Allan Combined Volumes referred to them as Brush / Mirrlees Type 2s.

Regards,

John isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

These were allocated TOPS class 30 but never lasted long enough with the Mirrlees engines to receive class 30 numbering. All were re-engined with English Electric engines to become class 31 under TOPS.

I'll start the ball rolling.

The first Triang R357 Brush type 2 appeared in 1962, as D5578 in all-over blue with eggshell coloured cab window surrounds - almost correct for the real D5578 which was in an experimental blue.

27414127559_6761e10117_b.jpg
Triang Blue Brush Type 2 - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

In 1963 the green livery appeared, still with the R357 catalogue number, with small yellow ends, grey roof and off-white bands as D5572.

The green version continued for several years, occasionally appearing with the number D5578. 

In 1965, a blue version appeared alongside the green one, with the catalogue numbers R357G (green) and R357B (blue). This blue one was again D5578 but bore no resemblance to the experimental livery this time, with blue replacing the green of the standard livery, still with white stripes and white roof, and small yellow panels. A few hybrid models have been reported with grey roofs and/or D5572 numbers. From this year onwards the brand became Triang/Hornby.

48372317477_c429705a53_b.jpg
Triang Blue Brush Type 2 - 4 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

In 1968 the BR blue with full yellow ends appeared, still with the number D5572, and BR 'arrows of indecision'. This was still under the catalogue number R357.

Triang/Hornby continued the model with minor changes for many years, including returning to the lined green livery at times. One other oddity with the moulds was an Australian one pretending to be a New South Wales locomotive. This was catalogue number R307, and carried the number 42202 on its New South Wales Government Railways livery.

There was a small alteration made to the body tooling when the blue version came out where the lowest of the four bodyside footsteps was filled in the make printing the numbers, just inboard of the cab doors on early blue livery, easier. The 1970s green versions are therefore easy to distinguish from the 1960s version as they are also missing this step. The shade of green was more emerald too and they featured a gloss finish. One neat touch is the moulded builder's plate which is readable (there's a larger version moulded into the underside too).

As modelled the Tri-ang model is what became the Class 30, however though they were officially classified that way from 1968 actual TOPS numbers weren't applied before they had all been rebuilt into class 31s. The obvious external difference is in the engine exhaust vents which were at 90 degrees to the original orientation after rebuilding.

If you want an iconic 1950s Triang Diesel it would have to be R159, loosley based on the Victorian Railways Class B. The Brush Type 2 is classic 'Super 4' era. The power bogie is based on that in the slightly earlier R351 EM2 electric, in turn based on the TT Brush type 2 T96.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

The advertising in the railway press when this loco was introduced was the lettering on the maker's plate was readable. for its time it was one of the best diesel models produced.

I don't see why the gears should squeal. If the motor and axles are oiled, the mechanism is very simple and reliable.

• Agree 1

The problem with a lot of "Standard", as the Tri-ang "universal" track was known from the introduction of Series 3 track in 1958, is that the base is made from Cellulose Acetate plastic.

This shinks as well as warps.

With track, the crucial gauge can shrink, bad enough on straights, but really bad news on curves, where a slightly WIDER gauge can be useful.

This is possibly the main part of the problem with this loco, the other part being that the small radius is tighter than that of Super 4 track, which was the track system in prime position when these models were introduced.

Really, the only Standard Track worth using is the later, post 1956-7, polystyrene plastic based version.

This is far more stable.

• Agree 1

Any Standard track made from cellulose acetate should not be used, as it will have suffered distortion not conducive to good running. (The rail, if in good condition, could be swopped for less good later rail - steel rail is not my preferred type, but its use is unavoidable for a Tri-ang layout.

Tri-ang locomotives should be capable of negotiating 13½" radius curves.