replacing Tomytec couplers

ohlavache

Hello.

I recently ordered some Tomytec HOe/OO9 rolling stock with Rapido couplers.

I want to replace them by regular HOe/OO9 couplers. What should I use ?

Here are some pictures showing what the Rapido couplers look like. They are not NEM compliant.

10478657k.jpg

A16285_Z2.jpg

rapido-couplings.jpg?w=584&h=294

Could I use the Peco GR-101 couplers?

20170818162932.jpg

20170818162944.jpg

Thanks by advance for your help.

They should work as they were originally designed to fit in standard 1960s coupling pockets (probably Arnold ones as they came up with the standard N Gauge design*). These couplings work better if you file back the front of the curve as the quite noticeable mould draw pushes the buffing face out some distance in front of the coupling peg and two together are at the limit of reach for the wire loops. I use these slightly modified, cutting a slight rebate behind the vertical peg to create a tension-lock effect.

nCcElyu.jpg

* Interesting that the instructions still show the long block at the inner end of the coupling; that was shortened (as per mouldings in the packet) soon after Peco brought out their 'ELSIE' couplings and chassis.

• Thanks 1

Off topic slightly, as you state you would like to use the standard 009 coupler, however if anyone wants to use knuckle couplers.

From Narrow Garage roll down the page and under Parts there are fittings to attach magnetic knuckle couplers. The mounts look 3D printed and the couplers seem to be Micro-Trans N Scale couplers. There are similar mounts on Shapeways.

Edited by multivac