The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Parking on lawns

Captain Kernow

15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I remember growing up my grand mother used to scrub the pavement in front of her house as did everyone else on the street and it was considered bad form for the house or front garden to be dirty or untidy. Now don't get me wrong, people have the right to do what they want with their own property and you can't legislate community pride anyway but I can't help feeling society has lost something when I look around. 

The Americans seem to try. Their homeowner's associations seem pretty draconian in places (e.g. my friend has to have a lawn rather than any other sort of planting, however decorative or well maintained)

• RMweb Premium

Back to the opening post,

Yo Captain dude.....you is a snob. :tomato:

These  poor people can only afford a house with a big enough garden to park the six huge 4x 4 cars on the lawn and the caravan. Thus lowering the tone of the street.  I bet they do a run to Macie Ds for their tea.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

My Dear Captain,

Have a read of Louise's book, it could give you a few ideas about how to deal with these misfits that park their vehicles on lawns but beware! It can get tricky!

image.png.27b3cb3d691b1fc98e95853c786e5d85.png

I wonder how Clive is getting on with his plan to replace the horses? I used to be a groom for daughter number 1 many years ago and soon discovered that I knew nothing! Granddaughter has now taken over where daughter left off. I still know nothing...

Kind regards to all,

Richard B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

When the tiles had got too 'tired' for simple washing and polishing, you used to be able to buy tins of 'Red Tile Paint' to restore them to their former glories.

Still available at least into the mid-70s. The first loco shed and station building on our garden layout were plywood, painted with tile paint to represent brick. Thinking about it, my first rolling stock repaint was a Triang Big Big mineral wagon, using the same tile paint to represent BR bauxite. Which it did, at least to my 8 year old eyes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We got rid of a chunk of lawn to allow us to get a wider drive in that when the kids were little was ideal for opening the doors fully wife to get prams etc in and out of, it’s now perfect for the 2 minis and just about right for a mini and the 4x4, a 3rd car is normally left on the road in front of the wall to the lawn (we are the last house in a cul-de-sac) 

the lawn used to come right up to the corner corner of the house 

FFC3547A-0B49-4B6F-9179-40F81BDCA94C.jpg

unfortunately for me they have just started to build a new school right opposite our house on the site of a school they knocked down 12 years ago and having seen the plans the new ‘exit’ gate to their internal one way system is directly opposite our house so I can envision that they will be putting yellow lines or zig zags outside my house (and drive) as the project continues, I’ve been right through the plans on line which go into depth about drainage, vehicular access for different types of vehicles, street furniture locations, emergency access etc but there are no plans available to show what and where the street markings will be, I’ve requested the info off the council but they have not been forthcoming

ive no objections to the new build and am glad that the land is being used for a school again (it’s a special school with only 30 pupils so won’t be busy traffic wise) and it’s not become another housing estate!

its going to be fun when they drop cars off for work for me, last week I had (through no fault of my own) 5 cars outside the house 

The new exit gate is going roughly where the front of the red mini is, the blue mini is in front of my garden wall so I’ve got no chance of parking anything there once the new access is built

198B42BE-B970-4C55-AD7C-ECAF509DD308.jpg

if you look at that pic you can see the old entrance to the school above the roof of the blue mini with its double gate which is offset slightly to the right from the road coming down to it, the new gate is going to be directly in line with the housing estate road and will be made into a single gate (wide enough for delivery vans, buses etc)  roughly where the lamppost is to the left, quite why they can’t keep the existing access arrangement I don’t know as there appears to be plenty of room on the other plans to put a turning space in 

Edited by big jim