I found this glue at the back of grandads cupboard, it is a sort of family heirloom guess.

It's a sort of brown sticky goo so I've tried it out on this cardboard and paper mock-up of a 4mm model I'm building to test my drawing and to see how the model looks before committing time to a metal and plastic version.

I remember in Railway Modeller articles in old copies from the 1960s that this glued is used by modellers of the day like Peter Denny.

Whats the modern equivalent, UHU and Prit-stick? Super glue and PVA white glue?

1-P1010256-001.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, relaxinghobby said:

I found this glue at the back of grandads cupboard, it is a sort of family heirloom guess.

It's a sort of brown sticky goo so I've tried it out on this cardboard and paper mock-up of a 4mm model I'm building to test my drawing and to see how the model looks before committing time to a metal and plastic version.

I remember in Railway Modeller articles in old copies from the 1960s that this glued is used by modellers of the day like Peter Denny.

Whats the modern equivalent, UHU and Prit-stick? Super glue and PVA white glue?

1-P1010256-001.JPG

Croid - wasn't that a fish or bone or animal hide derivative?

I certainly recall it as being - how shall I put it - distinctly aromatic!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Croid - wasn't that a fish or bone or animal hide derivative?

I certainly recall it as being - how shall I put it - distinctly aromatic!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

We had Leppard bros animal glue factory just outside town. you just prayed for the wind direction to take the smell away.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

Seccotine was very similar but both glues were a bit optimistic in their adhesive properties.

Seccotine was a fish glue, fine for paper and card.

IIRC the original Croid was a 'Hide' glue. Before we went over to Cascamite I remember using the hot glue pot for woodworking when I was at school. If diluted it was good for sizing fresh plaster before wallpapering.

• Like 1

Croid made several different glues for different purposes over many years, and I vaguely remember that one from perhaps the early 1970s, when my father used it to stick melamine to a work-surface. I think it might be intended to be applied thinly to both surfaces, left to go tacky, then the two parts pressed together ...... an impact/contact adhesive.

On glue nostalgia, what about that golden-brown liquid stuff that came in a glass bottle with a red rubber applicator thingy on top? We used to have it at home, but post offices always seemed to have jumbo-sized pots of it for sticking labels onto things.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Croid made several different glues for different purposes over many years, and I vaguely remember that one from perhaps the early 1970s, when my father used it to stick melamine to a work-surface. I think it might be intended to be applied thinly to both surfaces, left to go tacky, then the two parts pressed together ...... an impact/contact adhesive.

Similar to Evo-Stik?

Richard

“ Similar to Evo-Stik?”

If I’m remembering it correctly, yes, similar to Evostik Impact, but not as smelly. 

Evostik also, as I’m sure you know, make lots of other glues too ...... I’m a great devotee of the moisture-resistant version of Resin W.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Ahh, glue nostalgia

For your consideration, I offer 

Copydex

d7d7abb0c60655ca1bda35590328861c.jpg

and

Cow Gum

cow1-300x211.jpg

Richard

Actually Copydex doesn't seem that nostalgic, I've used it recently. Still a very useful flexible glue, I recall I once mended leaky bellows in a harmonium by painting them with Copydex.

Croid really took me back though, I think I still remember the smell.

9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

We had Leppard bros animal glue factory just outside town. you just prayed for the wind direction to take the smell away.

Guess we were lucky then. If the wind was blowing from the west we could smell the hops from the Guinness brewery in our college studio.

• Funny 1

I still have half a dozen tins of Gloy railway paints. They are in perfect condition after at least 35 years of ownership. These days, you seem to be lucky if Humbrol lasts for 35 minutes....

And yes, I have just remembered those disgusting red rubber-topped glue dispensers. Haven't thought about them for decades. I'm sure that they were Gloy. Lepages comes back to mind also.

I do think that we all need to get out a little more though [instead of sticking around in here....].

Tony

Tony

• Funny 3

I remember Croid, Seccotine and Durofix (other horrors were available). My experience with all of them was 1. smell and 2. lack of ability to actually stick anything (or was it just me?). The advent of Evo-Stik and similar was a godsend. It still wouldn't stick a white metal kit together permanently however....

I understand modern paint suffers from not being able to use certain solvents and pigments any more.