The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The three-bin shunt

rodshaw

How many of you have to do a bit of weekly shunting with your refuse bins?
Only one or two of these bins get emptied every week so I have to keep swapping them around, using the back garden as a fiddle yard. I could do with a run-round loop...

P1050269.JPG.0d82548b33afe08ea6bcc924b4a7fc68.JPG

• Funny 19

For me it's the occasional 'pick up goods' stint following collection when there is a moderate or stronger wind with any significant northerly component in my location. You can chock them when they go out, but once emptied and dropped (the crews do ours before 6 am most days) they will get going on the slight gradient and can 'walk' a fair distance. With half our neighbours elderly retired, duty calls.

I did bounce a proposed design for an 'upright brake' off the bin vendor, via our responsible council officer. Not affordable at the price local authorities require was their assessment. If I ever get really annoyed by the occasional rollaways, I'll make and fit them myself. (One moving part, two brackets!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Have that problem,so I made a passing place.  District Council then issued bigger bins!

I requested smaller bins than the standard ones (we only have two anyway).  If you haven't done so already, it may be worth checking if your council offers the same option.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Our wheelies tend to congregate at the end of the road for a chat with their chums whenever there's a bit of wind; the binmen leave them on the pavement for us to put away when they've been emptied and off they go up the road, trundle trundle!  The bus stop's by there, so it's only a matter of time before they all get on the bus together and go to town for a night out.  I suppose mine will want me to stump up for their taxi fare home after this...

Well, alright, but I'm not paying for next doors'...

• Funny 8

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Our wheelies tend to congregate at the end of the road for a chat with their chums whenever there's a bit of wind; the binmen leave them on the pavement for us to put away when they've been emptied and off they go up the road, trundle trundle!  The bus stop's by there, so it's only a matter of time before they all get on the bus together and go to town for a night out.  I suppose mine will want me to stump up for their taxi fare home after this...

When it gets back home you'll have to say, 'You bin out far too long'.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

If the bins were to congregate at the end of our single track lanes it would be a long  walk.. That's over a mile away.. 

As it is in the last few years I've rebuilt the main gateway,  as you face it from the road, each side are 6ft high walls, 

In the left hand wall next to the house,  is a two bin alcove,  which you can fill the bins from the inside, leaving the handles facing out.  We don't need a brown garden bin with 1.5 acre of jungle..  I just need to put up the bungy, with a southerly gale,  as the wind blows through the top of the alcove and topples the bins.. 

The bin men take the bins from the alcove and normally put them back. 

In the right hand  wall is a letter box,  below which is a parcels cupboard with push to lock doors. With a key locked door inside the garden,  open to collect post and parcels  plus  release the road facing doors / doors for next use. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I'll bet your bin pulls the ugly one!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Devo63 said:

Dustman: 'Where's ya bin?"

Man: "I've bin up north."

Dustman: " No, where's ya wheelie bin?"

Man: "I've really bin in the clink and just got out."

The jokes in the joke thread are bad enough!

On 13/07/2019 at 12:16, rodshaw said:

Only one or two of these bins get emptied every week so I have to keep swapping them around, using the back garden as a fiddle yard. I could do with a run-round loop...

Are you allowed to do a push/pull move with the motive power between the blue and brown bins, like this...?

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:16, rodshaw said:

I wonder now: we have 3 wheelies too, two 'regular' for recycling (brown and blue top), and then a 3/4 width black bin for landfill. I suspect this is much the same scheme as shown in the OP picture?

What we have found is that the landfill bin has way more capacity than we need for the fortnightly collection, and so it is parked well out of the way empty, essentially because our pre-wheelie bin arrangements handily take the two full size wheelies for recycleables, which are in continuous use. We collect the landfill in a small bin in an outhouse, and this we empty about monthly into the landfill bin. The landfill bin then goes out about quarterly when reasonably filled. The only break in this routine is the vast heap of non-recycleable dross generated by Christmas.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:17, teaky said:

I requested smaller bins than the standard ones (we only have two anyway).  If you haven't done so already, it may be worth checking if your council offers the same option.

I asked if there was the prospect of a smaller landfill bin some years ago, and this wasn't an option at that time, because what we had was the smallest that would work with the standard vehicles, and not be at too much risk of blowing over or going for a walk. These last two were occasional problems with so little inside, the landfill bin still practically at empty weight; part of the reason I worked on a brake, and 'solved' for myself by only putting it out when loaded to a good weight (and you can easily pick a collection day when it isn't blowing a hooley!).

• Like 2

Three bins - luxury! I have five bins in an access passage about the same size as the OP - Three full size (brown for garden waste, blue for plastics and metal and green for general waste) and two about three quarter size (Grey for paper and cardboard, black with a purple lid for glass)!!!

Jim

10 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Three bins - luxury! I have five bins in an access passage about the same size as the OP - Three full size (brown for garden waste, blue for plastics and metal and green for general waste) and two about three quarter size (Grey for paper and cardboard, black with a purple lid for glass)!!!

Jim

Well, when I say three, I have four but that includes a small food caddy which is collected weekly. That wasn't included in the shunting operation as it's lifted by the big hand in the sky.

Where I lived before we had two bins and three boxes, to separate the recyclables, but here in Northampton you can put all your non-food recyclables in one large bin. I raise my glass to whoever has to sort it all out; I can't see how it can be fully automated.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2019 at 21:42, The Johnster said:

Hope they don’t take part in Bin ge  drinking. 

It will make them wheely ill 

I’ll get my coat....

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Ours are three wheelies:

black = landfill.

brown = biodegradable including cooked food waste. (We have to pay a surcharge to have this option at present - biodegradables disposal for the rich alone! - but it appears that it may be reinstated as part of the normal service.)

blue top = all recycleables, with an insert box that fits across two thirds of the top for paper.

Despite terrible threats of penalties for doing it wrong, (starting with the bin left unemptied with a prominent school report reading 'naughty, naughty, naughty' tied to the handle) most are now simply slinging the paper into the blue top, and not bothering with the insert box at all, having observed that it all goes into the back of the collection truck mixed up, and the insert boxes quickly enough become damaged to the point of unusability (*I am now on my sixth replacement, roughly one per year.) Still waiting for clarification on this aspect, but the hot potato in our recycling is having to pay for the brown bin, and the rows revolving around this have completely displaced any prospect of clear thinking on other issues in the process.

Worth a visit to the recycleables operation if your local authority are prepared to identify it to you, and it is open for pre-arranged visits. Far and away the bulk of the work can now be done by a continuous flow mechanical process, with manual intervention from a small crew as required to cope with jams, errors and 'unclassifiable'. (I think it might be useful if everyone were required to see it - perhaps every ten years - to qualify for the democratic franchise.)

*The paper box is very useful for our household. My wife is an obsessive performer of the chuck it out briskly method of handling paperwork**, and we several times been able to easily retrieve essential items from the paper box, rather than have to trawl down to the bottom of the recycleables bin.

**Between the two of us we are in perfect balance. My method is 'stack on nearest available surface (horizontal) for all time' or SNASHFAT. It works for me, know it is here somewhere....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

North Norfolk is a 3 bin area,

Black = landfill

Green  = recycling... they do the sorting, tins / paper glass , plastics all in here.

Brown if you pay for it = garden waste.

green-bin-items-allowed[1].jpg

• RMweb Gold

We have three here too - Black for rubbish (which gets incinerated), Green for recyclables, and a box for glass.

The problem is, recyclables doesn't mean recyclables, it means "the few recyclables that we can be bothered to deal with" - they will take cans, plastic bottles, and paper/card/junk mail, but won't take any other plastic, foil, cartons etc...