Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2024 at 07:26, Enterprisingwestern said:

Did you try pulling rather than pushing Paul, you've got physics on your side doing it that way.

Mike.

Mike, I’ve done a second trial, this only using 500g as the other weights I use weren’t immediately to hand.

No apparent issues and I got the impression that another 100g or so wouldn’t tax it. 3% gradient on solid shelf surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Haven't made up your mind which Class 11 Jocko you want, why not see them in the flesh on the Kernow stand at DEMU Showcase 15th and 16th June at Sutton Coldfield.

I am sure there will also be the cute Ruston PWM shunters and the Brush class 48 type 4s as well for you to consider purchasing.

FlyerdraftfrontforUpdate.png.a25b06280a9028f1916c13f4a08efa7a.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well,   Dapol's announcement of an 08 for early 2025 really means that Model Rail should hurry up with any further possible Class 11 variants and the proposed Class 12 ones before they lose diesel shunter sales to Dapol.

( Says someone who can't wait to order some class 12's. )

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, phil gollin said:

Well,   Dapol's announcement of an 08 for early 2025 really means that Model Rail should hurry up with any further possible Class 11 variants and the proposed Class 12 ones before they lose diesel shunter sales to Dapol.

I've missed that - can you provide a link?

36 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

That's Bachmann - I saw that at DEMU...

Ahh OK- maybe Phil muddled up the manufacturer in his comment  (which I then completely missed when I posted mine)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2024 at 14:33, phil gollin said:

I doubt they will lose sales, oversimplifying things, they are 3 different animals from 3 different parts of the country, I can't see anyone who would be thinking of buying , say, a southern region class 12 thinking sod it I'm going to have an 08, but then again, that might be why I'm not employed in the model railway industry!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

@cctransuk posed the question because many of those very early 'horizontal' visual warning experiments on various designs of diesel shunter were white........

How can you be sure - do you have a colour photo?

To the best of my knowledge, these early visibility experiments were, for the most part, white.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I doubt they will lose sales, oversimplifying things, they are 3 different animals from 3 different parts of the country, I can't see anyone who would be thinking of buying , say, a southern region class 12 thinking sod it I'm going to have an 08, but then again, that might be why I'm not employed in the model railway industry!

Mike.

But Mike, to the diesel shunter enthusiast a class 11 would be a suitable mate for a class 08 and/or 10 (LMR, NER and ER) .  Like wise a class 12 would work happily along side an 08 and/or 09 (SR). After all there are more visual differences between a class 11 and class 10 (or class 12 and class 09) than there is between a Saint and Hall, every GWR modeller has more than one member of the saintstarcastlehallkinggrangemanorcounty class of loco. A (great) Western Region modeller might even have one of the six WR 350 pilots (class 11s built at Swindon but not given a TOPS class number) and an 08.

Without checking (so could be wrong) the ScR modeller can only have class 08s.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

To the best of my knowledge, these early visibility experiments were, for the most part, white.

CJI.

D3070 (from memory) also had this arrangement, and in the various descriptions I've seen it states white panels.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But Mike, to the diesel shunter enthusiast a class 11 would be a suitable mate for a class 08 and/or 10 (LMR, NER and ER) .  Like wise a class 12 would work happily along side an 08 and/or 09 (SR). After all there are more visual differences between a class 11 and class 10 (or class 12 and class 09) than there is between a Saint and Hall, every GWR modeller has more than one member of the saintstarcastlehallkinggrangemanorcounty class of loco. A (great) Western Region modeller might even have one of the six WR 350 pilots (class 11s built at Swindon but not given a TOPS class number) and an 08.

I'm referring to the singular buyer though, anybody modelling, say, the Ashford area or even more generally the SR, would I presume hang on for a Bulleid rather than say sod it I'm going to have an 08, so to my eyes they aren't direct competitors, although complimentary for anybody with a shunter fetish, although I can't think of any offhand!!

Mike.

49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They are patiently waiting for a proper 06 which apart from the very specific class 13 and the 01 are the only diesel shunters left awaiting someone to pick up.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

They are patiently waiting for a proper 06 which apart from the very specific class 13 and the 01 are the only diesel shunters left awaiting someone to pick up.

Dear Woody

I think you is a missing a few.

Barcaly  0-6-0 204hp

Both types of Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0 204hp

Hunslet small wheel and small cab 0-6-0 204hp

Hunslet 0-4-0 165hp

North British 200hp 0-4-0, both body outlines

North British 225hp 0-4-0, three body styles

North British 330hp 0-4-0

LMS jackshaft drive 350hp 0-6-0 two variations

LNER 350hp 0-6-0

SR 350hp 0-6-0

Hawthorn Leslie 350hp 0-6-0 (LMS and GWR)

Ruston & Hornsby 165DM 0-4-0

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dear Woody

I think you is a missing a few.

Barcaly  0-6-0 204hp

Both types of Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0 204hp

Hunslet small wheel and small cab 0-6-0 204hp

Hunslet 0-4-0 165hp

North British 200hp 0-4-0, both body outlines

North British 225hp 0-4-0, three body styles

North British 330hp 0-4-0

LMS jackshaft drive 350hp 0-6-0 two variations

LNER 350hp 0-6-0

SR 350hp 0-6-0

Hawthorn Leslie 350hp 0-6-0 (LMS and GWR)

Ruston & Hornsby 165DM 0-4-0

DL26, D0226 and Taurus…  all which still exist.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Erm.......you were the one who posed the question in the first place - I'm agreeing with you! - many of these early visibility experiments were white, as confirmed by the Strathwood 'Looking Back at Shunters' colour albums.

If @Fredo is adamant that 12135's were yellow I have no reason to argue.

26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Of diesel shunters with a TOPS classification..........😁

I knew that was what you meant to say 😉!

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Halvarras said:

Erm.......you were the one who posed the question in the first place - I'm agreeing with you! - many of these early visibility experiments were white, as confirmed by the Strathwood 'Looking Back at Shunters' colour albums.

If @Fredo is adamant that 12135's were yellow I have no reason to argue.

I knew that was what you meant to say 😉!

Sorry - I was intending my response to be to Fredo's assertion that 12135 had yellow panels.

CJI.

• Like 2