Has anyone used this

rab

• RMweb Premium

Saw this link on Facebook.

Just wondered if anyone has tried this cleaner?

Edited by rab
Correct grammar

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, spikey said:

Dunno, but compared with Herr Zeller's, it seems to be very much a case of the same dog with different spots ...

i hadn't seen the Zeller cleaner before,

but, as you say, they do look very similar.

I too would be interested to know what they're like.  I've tried a DIY version of the CMX but on a brake van chassis rather than bogies, and was vexed by the pad tending to catch on pointwork, and I suspect that this approach might avoid that.  Having said that, though, I still have to try using hardboard or cork instead of the felt pad ...

20 hours ago, spikey said:

I too would be interested to know what they're like.  I've tried a DIY version of the CMX but on a brake van chassis rather than bogies, and was vexed by the pad tending to catch on pointwork, and I suspect that this approach might avoid that.  Having said that, though, I still have to try using hardboard or cork instead of the felt pad ...

I can't find my photos of it just now but Pendon use the rough side of a small oblong of hardboard,  mounted on a weighted rod under a very simple bogie wagon chassis. This is used for everyday cleaning of their track before and possibly after the public are admitted. 

Someone recommended using the flat side of a wine cork cut in half lengthways. This had the advantage of requiring the consumption of a  decent bottle of wine (the sort that comes with corks when most are screw top) whenever new cleaning pads are needed. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Yep, the Pendon hardboard thing is up pretty high on the "to do" list, but keeps getting put off in the hope that one day I might actually see a decent snap or two of their wagon ...