Hand rail knobs changing direction

Does any body make a 4mm scale hand rail knob that changes direction by 45 degrees rather than being straight through.

I'm working on an 1870s tender that has a hand rail that changes from a parralel to horizontal on each side of the tank as can be seen in this picture

Steve

20181025_095925.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add picture

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Londontram said:

Does any body make a 4mm scale hand rail knob that changes direction by 45 degrees rather than being straight through.

I'm working on an 1870s tender that has a hand rail that changes from a parralel to horizontal on each side of the tank as can be seen in this picture

Steve

20181025_095925.jpg

I take it that you mean a handrail knob that has holes at 90 degrees, for handrails that change from vertical to horizontal ?

The answer, though, is 'No'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps I feared as much looks like I'm drilling some very fine holes.

I'll need to do it to some more "long" hand rail knobs later for a roof top luggage fack on an 1860/70 carriage which is in the to do list

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Londontram said:

Thanks chaps I feared as much looks like I'm drilling some very fine holes.

That'll be fun (not).....getting the hole to start using a small drill on a circular surface.  I predict the creation of some new words.......

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Londontram said:

I'd probably need to needle file a small flat so the mini drill has a chance other wise as yo say the drill will."dance" all over the place and most likely snap.

Don't start with a mini drill.

File the tiniest of flats; take a sharp scriber and 'dimple' the spot to be drilled; put your smallest drill in a pin chuck and start the hole in the 'dimple'; once properly started, finish the hole with the correct sized drill for the handrail wire.

A good magnifier helps!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

As you have several to do it may be worth making a tool. Maybe a ‘u’ shape with three 0.45mm holes drilled in it. Two holes to line up with the holes in the existing handrail knob and one hole in the bottom centre of the U to locate the drill for the new hole. The U should be the same width as the handrail knob. Thread some 0.45mm wire through the two holes in the vertical walls of the U and through the handrail knob and then drill the extra hole using the hole in the bottom of the U to guide the drill.

you could fabricate the U section by taking two pieces of scrap etch with holes pre drilled for the vertical edges and then use some more scrap etch to space them apart. You could avoid drilling a hole at the base of the U by using three layers of scrap with the middle layer made up of two pieces with a small gap between them for the hole. This will then guide the drill.

Hope  you can. Visualise this.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1