Speed Control

I have a Dapol 68 with Legomanbiff sounds.

I've changed zero CVs with this but noticed the acceleration is something like 170. Deceleration is a bit less I think.

1) Talking about CV3 and CV4, are these CVs purely a delay of reaction time? I notice when turning the power up, there is a delay before the loco moves off.

I have a Roco Taurus loco that had the vMid and vHigh set at 1. I didn't realise this to begin with. When testing the speed, the loco went faster than I dared look!

I adjusted the vMid to 70 and vHigh to 120, which is fast enough for my layout.

2) The loco seems to jump a bit on speeds. So I have 16 selected and it's going along nicely. Crank it up to 17 and it'll go a lot quicker than the jump from 15 to 16. Is this something that can be fixed with the vMid setting?

3) I want to have a slightly longer pull off and longer lower speed. If I adjust the acceleration delay, I guess it'll take longer to pull off? If I raise the vMid, will that make the loco take longer to get to that mid speed, and thus 0-60 will take slightly longer to get to than 60-max speed?

Thank you all.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Gold

On Legomanbiffo sound projects the acceleration and deceleration settings and delays are tied in with the sound project so the delay at the start is typical and if you listen carefully the engine probably revs and the brakes release before it starts moving.

Is this a project with drivelock?  Either way it might be worth reading his advice on driving tips if you haven’t already done so.  I would be loathe to change settings much as it can affect the synchronisation between sound and movement. I’m not sure why there should be a larger jump in speed at one particular step.   Are you using 28 or 128 speed steps?

Sound projects - certainly from ESU, and to match, their Lokpilot range, also have a straight forward 'starting delay' which applies (or can be applied) to match startup sound sequences, before any attempt at 'moving off' -the acceleration rate of which is set by Cv3 (and CV4 for decelleration).  [Even Hornby TTS Decoders have an inbuilt starting delay, beforemoving off]

As mentioned  - the provided-delay, and provided accelerations   are matched to the sound experience ...

Have you compared its behaviour when sound is turned off ???

This is one reason I have found that computer-automation and such sound programs are 'in conflict' - because the  automation software wants to 'micromanage' the loco speeds and behaviour and this does not match in with prototypical accelerations...

My 2 examples being a SWT HST and a Jeco Swedish Railcar .... both having inbuilt timings which prevent it responding as quickly as the computer software required -  after that, I basically gave up on the idea of automation, but opted for the simpler guidance, route setting and tracking.... whilst I drive the trains.

As ESU Lokpilots include the ability to have a matching startup delay, despite being silent themselves,I recently asked Bachmann if their decoder did as well  (  ESU have  varied which CV number is used, andIcouldn't seem to trigger it when I was trying to match sound and silent coupled locos ) ... They responded in the affirmative for their '36-557' version of the ESU standard using  CV128: (they investigated using an ESU programmer, as it was not in the documentation)

"The starting delay time is regulated by CV128 & can be set to a value of between 1 & 255 ( represents 0.07 to 16.71 seconds )"

[There are some other associated function-button mappings also needed for on/off etc]

I must now check some of my others on  my ESU Porgrammer, having now got that working again, at last [Serial-USB cable/driver problems resolved]

I think people are looking too much into the Class 68 have edited the post to make a bit more obvious.

It's more a question of the CV3 setting marking a delay of what?  Seconds?

I managed to sort the CV3 and CV4, plus the vMid and vHigh settings to be more smooth.

My point is that although CV3 and 4 are referred toand adjusted as 'delays' - they are actually 'rates' of acceleration and decelleration - it is a separate adjustment on a sound /sound matching decoder to DELAY ANY MOVEMENT ( whilst engines start orrev,and brakes release etc)

If the decoder is an ESU - try reading CV128 (as per the Bachmann/ESU example I quoted -but this number has changed between deocders.