Class 74

18 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

No chips in any of my locos, just good old fashioned (antiquated) and reliable (simple) 2 wires. Hornby circuit board removed, but it could have stayed if some material was removed from the ceiling in the resin bodyshell

Thank you.

I will look at getting a painted body from Silverfox Models

Peter

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 19:42, Roy Langridge said:

As discussed in the other thread, I am drawing up some etches to do overlays and fuel tanks for a DJ Class 71. I was making really good progress, and then that thing called work got in the way...

I hope to have them all done in a couple of weeks and then I will print them as paper templates to try no a model. If all looks good I will get a set etched.

If it doesn't look viable when I do the prints, then it will be a SF resin body instead.

Roy

Hi @Roy Langridge, this post is quite old but I’m interested if you did the etches in the end?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread ..................

Has anyone attempted marrying up a Hornby Class 71 chassis and a DC Kits Class 74 bodyshell ?

Not interested in the detail differences but just the sheer physical match-up / work involved / obstacles.

Ta in advance

7 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Resurrecting this thread ..................

Has anyone attempted marrying up a Hornby Class 71 chassis and a DC Kits Class 74 bodyshell ?

Not interested in the detail differences but just the sheer physical match-up / work involved / obstacles.

Ta in advance

If you look at SRman's layout thread, in the last posts he has done just that.  

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Many thanks, that's 56 pages to enjoy 👍

To save you wading through the other 55 pages, here's the text from my last post on there, plus an update.

From March 15th:
A class 74 electro-diesel kit and 4 COR conversion kit arrived from Silver Fox yesterday.

Starting on the 74, it is a very nice casting, but I have been grinding lots of resin material out of the 74 body shell to get it to fit over the Hornby 71 chassis, removing material from the lower cab ends and from inside the roof. The kit was designed to fit the Hornby class 90 chassis and the instructions reflect this, but I wanted to use the superior Hornby class 71 as its basis. It looks very promising. I will be shaving off the handrails and moulded jumper cables and horns to replace them all with separate fittings, in due course. It can only be one livery for realism: BR blue with yellow ends, although it can have E 61XX numbers or 74 0XX TOPS numbers. I had to use a little Milliput to patch up where I slipped with the Dremel! The kit comes with some rather nice bogie side frame mouldings, but I am in two minds as to whether to replace the Hornby side frames or adapt them.

I want to fit legomanbiffo sound eventually. I think I can get a sugar cube speaker in the space vacated by the Hornby internal machinery mouldings, but it will still need a micro decoder - the existing one is an ESU LokPilot micro.

Update:
I have shaved off the moulded details, and also reshaped the front panels a bit, although they are still a bit flatter than the Hornby front end. I did saw off one cab from the Hornby 71 body and one from the 74, but the roof profiles were a bit too different to match up, so I had to regraft the original cab back on. 

The BR blue I had was going off, so I am not at all happy with the finish on the blue, and have been sanding parts of it back ready for repainting. I may try to use the Hornby glazing, but due to the flatter curve of the front, I'll have to fit each window separately. The kit glazing is vacuum-formed and will be kept in reserve if that fails. I also hope to reuse the Hornby cab interiors with their lighting, but they will need to be cut down a little to fit inside the thicker mouldings.

The current status is that the chassis has a LokSound 5 micro fitted with a sugar cube speaker and legomanbiffo sounds added. The chassis runs fine, so even with the unfinished body on it, it can run on Newton Broadway. The body is a tight fit on the Hornby chassis, which is good, but I had to remove a lot of material from the insides of the roof to clear some of the Hornby PCB components. 

I have some Dapol class 73 jumper and air cables to use, and also some nice white metal ones from (I think) MJT. I also shaved off the moulded horns from the cab roofs, with a view to using some turned brass ones I have.

I hope some of this helps.

Progress has slowed a bit, but it is a success so far. One other major job to do is to remove the Hornby side frames and graft the Silver Fox ones onto the bogie frames, as they are quite different. The last two photos show it as it is at the time of this post.

20230317_141049.jpg.85036c06cd5514681b11e63caea5476f.jpg

20230323_121053.jpg.9223b0cf8d624bdf2df4dfc9c3767d7a.jpg

20230326_114233.jpg.7a7361fcb548a90f80ec4663425e917c.jpg

20230323_215346.jpg.805dcf12773036a9461b815a7dd127f5.jpg

20230413_221555.jpg.da83d8c0f37900de2dcdb975b6e0de3e.jpg

20230413_221606.jpg.e1814cea6c172db4322490a1f2587e06.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I have been making more progress on my 74 conversion. The paintwork is almost decent now albeit I am using a standard Humbrol enamel blue for the present. It looks almost like BR blue but is a tad lighter. There are still a few small rough bits to fix up, but it is almost there.

I have also tackled the first of the bogie side frame conversions, cutting off the Hornby class 71 type with a razor saw and replacing with the new resin side frames from Silver Fox. It took me a while to work out how the bogie lower frame separated from the rest, but I eventually worked it out, but not before accidentally loosening the top tower clip that holds the whole bogie in place, which meant that it all dropped out, still attached only by the wires. The gears also kindly dropped out! Reassembly took me a while trying to work out the gear sequence, using the Hornby service sheet to assist me. I reinforced the side joints to the rest by drilling fine holes through and supergluing some brass wire into them, thereby not leaving them totally reliant on glued butt-joints. I did line up the tops of the new side frames but they seem to be sitting a little low, so that may need a bit further work to fix them properly. In the meantime, I'll hold off doing the other end until I know I can get it right first go.

20230419_205635.jpg.864090095928a79e36898a6e7ab26bf7.jpg

• Like 5

Somewhat better now. I found that the new side frames are very slightly deeper than the Hornby originals. Also, those third rail shoes will have to go - I'll have to remodel them in the up position. The sandboxes at the outer end are fouling the inside of the buffer beam / cowling ever so slightly, so I need to remove a very small amount of material to get catch-free running around curves. Even so, the test run was successful and  there were no derailments. I can now do the other end, but I might let my thumb heal first ... I accidentally stabbed it with the screwdriver when trying to get the side frames off to relocate them! 🙄

Note that the PCB is loose at present to allow me to remount the bogies more easily.

20230421_133138.jpg.67ccb0ba880992e66c871c623fcafb34.jpg

• Like 5