LMS Warflat buffers.

Hello,

On the buffers of this vehicle photographed at Cambridge in August 1952 there are square(ish) insertions made to the crown of the buffers and also one in the buffer beam/headstock. 

Was this for some international requirement when these wagons were used abroad by the WD or for some other UK purpose? 

This particular 45ton wagon was one of a batch of 60 made by Metro Cammell in 1940/1 and coded 'WD FVF' (Fighting Vehicle Flat).  Photo attached.

R1697.jpg

As built, these wagons were equipped with buffing and drawgear to European standards, hence screw couplings, longer buffers and side chains, although the right hand one has gone missing on the wagon in the photograph, leaving the square hole in the headstock. Quite why the hole in the buffer head is square I don't know, but the existence of the hole probably has to do with the way the buffer, which is self-contained, is assembled.

Jim

14 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

As built, these wagons were equipped with buffing and drawgear to European standards, hence screw couplings, longer buffers and side chains, although the right hand one has gone missing on the wagon in the photograph, leaving the square hole in the headstock. Quite why the hole in the buffer head is square I don't know, but the existence of the hole probably has to do with the way the buffer, which is self-contained, is assembled.

Jim

If you were to scrape away the grease, might you find that the buffer holes are actually round ? ........... yes, I'd guess there's a nut or bolt head lurking in there - though if the hole IS square, it could be for spinning the whole head onto a thread !

Many thanks gentlemen.

I attach the main photo of this wagon - is it a 'Warwell' or a 'Warflat' - presumably the latter as it predates the development of the Sherman tank?  In close-up of the photo the number can be read as 'FVF 45C'.  The tare appears to be 8-2?

Thanks again.

Nick.

R1696.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's not a warwell... They have a "well" in them, that is, the load bearing platform drops down between the bogies to a lower level. 

Those black dots on the buffers look too black,  I think some one has been using a pen on the negatives.. No idea why someone would do that though. 

59 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Those black dots on the buffers look too black,  I think some one has been using a pen on the negatives.. No idea why someone would do that though. 

er ..... nope - you'd have to scratch off the emulsion and leave a blank for it to print black : even less likely !

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, nicktamarensis said:

In close-up of the photo the number can be read as 'FVF 45C'.  The tare appears to be 8-2?

Actually WD-FVF-450 ; here's another :-

1309601081_6_683MOD50TWARFLATWD-FVF-315.jpg.79632a2ea8c33e8c119a32695391a09c.jpg

Copyright holder unknown.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

7 hours ago, keefer said:

How about a long square rod is put in the hole to swing the buffers out (or back into place again)?

Gives more leverage and you avoid getting covered in buffer grease

It was only the buffers on the ramp wagons that could be swung out of the way, essentially to stop them carrying the weight of the wagon and load when that end was on the ground. On all the other wagons they were fixed.

Jim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

A view of the 'underside' of that swung-out buffer might give a clue ............ my GUESS is that there's a square-headed bolt passing from the square hole through the buffer head and the volute spring with a retaining nut on the rear.

Your guess is probably correct, as there has to some form of retention for the buffer head.

Jim

42 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

......... but then there are lugs top 'n' bottom and slots in the sides

The square hole was part of the casting/turning process.

The bufferhead/shank (particularly the oval and clipped top varieties) were prevented from rotating by a drift pin and cotter inserted vertically through the combined body/shank assembly. The spring was enclosed entirely within the body hence the inspection slots.

Voila

RIV-UIC-WarflatBuffer.jpg.60c8bd6dda7f64374c9a9eb1b6497606.jpg

QuintonRoad2014--61sm.jpg.5b3e1819d90cd1e6a8175207e398fb7f.jpg

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

Your guess is probably correct, as there has to some form of retention for the buffer head.

Oleo buffer heads were/are attached to their shank/piston with single allen headed set screw.  Sometimes the piston could become stuck in its body. A swift dad with a hammer was the usual first attempt at repair but it could result in the allen head shearing and the buffer head becoming a high speed discus like projectile ready to slice through anything that blocked its trajectory!