Hi all,

have come across a sound fitted and new SD70ACe loco from MTH for what I consider to be a good price and is new - this is the one https://mthtrains.com/80-2243-5

I am aware from certain topics that I have read and as I have said before one of the UK based US shops I have visited that MTH can be problematic in the UK, but at this price, I wonder whether it is worth trying the compatibility with my setup.  Rather than ask for the issues people have had, are there any UK operators (using a Powercab NCE system) that have had no issues etc...

Cheers

Bryn

The mention of compatibility with Marklin 3rd rail stud contact suggests it wouldn't be compatible with your NCE power cab. The price isn't particularly cheap either.

Have a look at Model Junction or Gaugemaster, they occasionally have good priced sound fitted locos.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi all,

have come across a sound fitted and new SD70ACe loco from MTH for what I consider to be a good price and is new - this is the one https://mthtrains.com/80-2243-5

I am aware from certain topics that I have read and as I have said before one of the UK based US shops I have visited that MTH can be problematic in the UK, but at this price, I wonder whether it is worth trying the compatibility with my setup.  Rather than ask for the issues people have had, are there any UK operators (using a Powercab NCE system) that have had no issues etc...

This section at the very bottom of the Overview page at the link you provided tells the story:

"Unlike their 3.0 counterparts, Proto-Sound 3E+ locomotives cannot operate on standard 2-rail track. They only operate on HO (3-Rail) Stud Rail track (ie: Marklin C or K track)."

So given that it is a 3E+ locomotive then it will not work on 2-rail track so unless you are using the 3-rail track you are out of luck.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

The mention of compatibility with Marklin 3rd rail stud contact suggests it wouldn't be compatible with your NCE power cab. The price isn't particularly cheap either.

Have a look at Model Junction or Gaugemaster, they occasionally have good priced sound fitted locos.

Hi, thanks for this. Had seen it for £140 at McLaren Models, but based on mdvale pointing out the bullet point in overview,  would scupper it being any good for me. 

Keep an eye on them, invicta and McLaren, but will take a look at Gaugemaster. So thanks for that. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trevorsmith3489 said:

I use a Lenz DCC system and had no issues at all.

just follow the instructions to change the DCC address to the cabside number.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, how many do you have? I've taken the view that the weighting of negative to positive is usually disproportionate... so would like to give them a go

8 minutes ago, mdvle said:

This section at the very bottom of the Overview page at the link you provided tells the story:

"Unlike their 3.0 counterparts, Proto-Sound 3E+ locomotives cannot operate on standard 2-rail track. They only operate on HO (3-Rail) Stud Rail track (ie: Marklin C or K track)."

So given that it is a 3E+ locomotive then it will not work on 2-rail track so unless you are using the 3-rail track you are out of luck.

Great stuff. Missed that.  Thank You

14 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Thanks Trevor, how many do you have? I've taken the view that the weighting of negative to positive is usually disproportionate... so would like to give them a go

I have just one. Has run fine for about four years. Good range of functions, remote uncoupling I thought was a good idea and uncoupling works fine , just requires a scale 30 mph to couple!

Does not liked being dropped on the floor so no longer working.