The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What to do with a Pacer after it's retired...

Harry Lime

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps convert them back to the buses and bus technology that they were originally developed from? They should at least ride more comfortably on pneumatic tyres.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium

Some of us Southerners have lived up North too you know! Indeed we even have family up there. I know my daughters keep me posted on the grim realities of life up North!

Must get back to Derbyshire (North Midlands I know but near enough) some time soon, probably Buxton so we can easily get to Stockport or Nottingham. 

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Did some work on the first 141s - as originally designed the large bowden cable operating the brake actuators had a habit of being cut as they passed through a frame crossmember due to suspension movement. Re-designed suspension before service operation cured that problem.

"Grim realities", surely not that bad?  Without introducing politics, there' s grim realities everywhere and its up to the people to make it better; the government looks after its own just like it does here and can't be relied on, especially these days.   The North encompasses some of the great scenic parts of the UK, the Pennines, the Dales, Cumbria and the whole of Scotland (still); doesn't get much better than this! 

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the station waiting room idea, but how are they to be heated?  They'll just be wind tunnels as shelters...

The bodies are small enough to go on a big lorry, and can be used as temporary removable buildings, like Portakabins though less stackable; they're fairly well insulated.  Mounted on small wheels they'd do as holiday caravans and are probably more fire resistant; the Camping Coach returns!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brianusa said:

"Grim realities", surely not that bad?  Without introducing politics, there' s grim realities everywhere and its up to the people to make it better; the government looks after its own just like it does here and can't be relied on, especially these days.   The North encompasses some of the great scenic parts of the UK, the Pennines, the Dales, Cumbria and the whole of Scotland (still); doesn't get much better than this! 

Brian.

I prefer living in the hills. The biggest problem is that we have 21 century traffic volumes on roads which have seen little improvement since they were Turnpiked. That is much worse than the times I have to use a Pacer. Fortunately the line nearest where I live has electric trains.

• Like 1

How about converting into low cost housing units...!?! Could help in a little way to addressing the affordability crisis in this country! :thankyou: I could be tempted to live in a pacer!!

Edited by south_tyne
Clarification
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

They'll do what they always do. . . . keep a few for the Newcastle/Middlesbrough line

John

especially now they cant dump them on the oldham loop ! mind you there are two empty tunnels strategic reserve anyone ?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Export them to Iran?

Oh wait, they have scrapped the ones we sent last time, and maybe that is why Iran doesn't like us in the west.

Get the Donald to threaten to send more Pacers over there. That will make those Eye-ranians back down. 

8 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

They'll do what they always do. . . . keep a few for the Newcastle/Middlesbrough line

John

Yep! As Leeds and Manchester get all these brand spanking new fancy trains, what do we get...... their cast-offs! It always happens. Having said that, I am pleased to see the return of the 158s to the North East; I have always really liked them but we haven't seen them up here for years.

• Like 1