The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

15 hours ago, russ p said:

I still think those minis would have been better with a K series,  although to start with there would have been quite a few head gasket failures but with the triple layer gasket the problem goes away 

I know nothing about BMW minis, apart from I think they're butt ugly, but wouldn't using a Rover lump mean acknowledging that the Brits could actually make something?

• Like 2

Forget the K series, bring back the A series.

Original design tested remoursely in an A30, then put to manufacture with 1 modification which made production easier. Manufactured for many types of car & in different cc until the modified A+ came along with early emission changes.

OK not the most modern engine, but it can't be that wrong for all that? I lived with them for years, and they had a few quirks, but they were reliable and easy to maintain. And they didn't have those awful modern things called cambelts - just proper chains!

Stewart

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, great central said:

I know nothing about BMW minis, apart from I think they're butt ugly, but wouldn't using a Rover lump mean acknowledging that the Brits could actually make something?

They were originally slated for the K series iirc which was to be superseded by a joint design engine with the Fiat that later  became the twin air that went into the 500 . 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great central said:

It was because BMW were planning the split and sell off, so chose a different engine.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Forget the K series, bring back the A series.

Original design tested remoursely in an A30, then put to manufacture with 1 modification which made production easier. Manufactured for many types of car & in different cc until the modified A+ came along with early emission changes.

OK not the most modern engine, but it can't be that wrong for all that? I lived with them for years, and they had a few quirks, but they were reliable and easy to maintain. And they didn't have those awful modern things called cambelts - just proper chains!

Stewart

I bought an experimental twin cam O series off a bloke in Studley and at the same place there werea number of OHC A series engines.  They looked like smaller O series engines complete with cambelts 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, great central said:

Beauty in the eye of the beholder:dirol_mini:

Admittedly i have owned one, not for long as it was a dog but I quite liked it 

I know someone who bought one as he likes class 37s and likes the bonnet on the cruiser as it reminds him of them 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, big jim said:

says the man with a PT Cruiser!! 

I bought some bits off a bloke near Norwich that had put a montego turbo diesel in a PT cruiser for some reason.  Was a very neat conversion gad certainly would not have been easy 

21 hours ago, russ p said:

I bought an experimental twin cam O series off a bloke in Studley and at the same place there werea number of OHC A series engines.  They looked like smaller O series engines complete with cambelts 

A series were definitely chain. I lived with them for about 24 years!

I can't remember whether the A+ had a cambelt instead.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, stewartingram said:

A series were definitely chain. I lived with them for about 24 years!

I can't remember whether the A+ had a cambelt instead.

A+ engines are also chain , considering the amount of money the A+ cost to develop it was not very different to the standard  A series the only real visible difference is strengthening ribs on the bottom of the block. Turbo blocks have even more strengthening 

The engine's i saw were purely experimental and had a cambelt  driving an overhead cam and I think wer3 also eight port but not crossflow 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, peanuts said:

Absolutely fantastic but you would have thought if he wants that amount of money he may have troubled himself to get the font right on the computervision lettering on the front spoiler . Looks Absolutely awful especially when the rear has the correct one so not hard to copy

On 14/11/2020 at 22:29, big jim said:

says the man with a PT Cruiser!! 

Ah, the  production pretend hot rod. :D There's a black one round this way with a side exhaust, rear split screen and custom rear lights. It would look a lot better if the owner cleaned it!

steve

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, steve1 said:

Ah, the  production pretend hot rod. :D There's a black one round this way with a side exhaust, rear split screen and custom rear lights. It would look a lot better if the owner cleaned it!

steve

Oh no it wouldn't !!!!  :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the blue mini is in the process of being stripped of performance parts and having standard bits put back on in readiness for going on eBay, still got the reduced pulley and superchip so still the best part of 200bhp so it wil be a fun little motor for someone to either abuse or restore, it’s got a new head gasket fitted so should be good for a few more miles yet 

Old head gasket

99AAC3B7-056B-4CD2-8CF9-371951894DEB.jpeg.90364c2dc151f349f466e105ef312a1a.jpeg

Giving up its suspension, exhaust, manifold and wheels 

C9CD6D5B-B0B1-45CE-9FD0-16507F931A5E.jpeg.0c6a7cc75033a9dc739a93c41355b607.jpeg

still got the sport cam, intercooler, coil pack, performance leads and plugs, air filter to swap Wednesday then it’s eBay bound 

as sadly is the convertible but I need to sell both to fund the new car

E9AD86B7-59CF-48F7-8BAF-9B26922B4D2B.jpeg.de0deabc4a1330c5faa2170862c37ca1.jpeg

amd here is the new one with the suspension and wheels off the blue car fitted 

4E701ADF-620A-4DF3-8534-EAE168318F4A.jpeg.6812810d2541c9750282af53d559881a.jpeg

been experimenting with de chroming it with special tape, you can see it on the door belt line as well as the black door handle covers and scuttle vents, I’m going to keep the mirrors white as well as the roof and stripes but put black spot lights on it, maybe swap the black headlights over too 

this car is 3 years newer than the blue one and is a facelift model which has a factory fitted LSD and a Teflon coated supercharger so is 173 bhp standard as opposed to 168 standard on the blue one, it will of course be getting mods like smaller pulley, bigger injectors and a proper custom remap instead of the superchip 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Seen in local garage when I dropped my Pug in. V8 version 75k miles.

steve

IMG_1109.JPG

I’ve driven one of those . Loved the sound of the V8. Shame it kept the same fuel tank as the other models - it’s just not big enough for a thirsty V8! A rare bird though.

Although not so sophisticated I always preferred the ZS 180 to the ZTs; it was more fun! 

It has to be said that the latest cars are much better; there has been a lot of progress over the last 20 years or so.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2020 at 10:35, steve1 said:

Seen in local garage when I dropped my Pug in. V8 version 75k miles.

steve

IMG_1109.JPG

R

A shame the V8 didn't have a bit more presence this is virtually identical to my diesel version! 

The 385 version was to have extended wheel arches but never got beyond prototype stage.

All models in later times could have monogram extras with more vivid interiors and the like.

I'm looking for a monogram red alcantara interior but not hopeful of finding one

• Like 1