The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Most SUVs are the same, large on the outside, small inside. For load carrying you are still better off with a medium or large estate car, though even they tend to be compromised with non folding rear seat bases. 

Don't point that out on the EV thread, every time I bemoan the lack of a proper electric estate I get told that no-one wants estates any more...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Don't point that out on the EV thread, every time I bemoan the lack of a proper electric estate I get told that no-one wants estates any more...

It really means not enough people want them……

Here both Ford and Holden had large station wagons (estates). V6 or V8 and big enough to put a mattress in the back.  As part of my job I'd regularly transport computer equipment - servers, switches, racking gear etc and they'd fit in a rented Ford Falcon or Commodore wagon no worries, along with 2 passengers.

Now that we dont make cars here any more, everything is sh1tty  SUV's  which cannot carry half the stuff, especially if the back seat is needed for a passenger.  We have to hire either two vehicles or a dual cab ute which has zero security for the stuff in the back. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Hobby said:

I understood they were the same seats. 

Possibly, my Yeti has leather ones but the only Roomster I've been in didn't so they would look different. Also, the Roomster either didn't have the centre seat that folds to make a "picnic table" or it had been taken out. 

I also got the impression the Roomster would take a slightly longer load, though the height inside the Yeti does make it look shorter than it really is.

John

10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

It really means not enough people want them……

Nah... It means that the masses have been seduced by the constant advertising for SUVs as being all you want in a car when the truth is that an estate does the same job much better! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Possibly, my Yeti has leather ones but the only Roomster I've been in didn't so they would look different. Also, the Roomster either didn't have the centre seat that folds to make a "picnic table" or it had been taken out. 

Looking at photos it would appear that they are the same, as I'm sure I confirmed at the time with a dealership, I liked the versatility they allowed. The Roomster did have the centre seat with the fold down backrest, we had one of the early ones and the kids used to use it when we went away. I wanted a new one to replace ours but they were starting to run down the range and the Yeti was noticeably smaller inside when I checked it out. Unfortunately the Roomster v2 got shelved by Skoda. Missed opportunity.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Nah... It means that the masses have been seduced by the constant advertising for SUVs as being all you want in a car when the truth is that an estate does the same job much better! ;)

Unfortunately, most of estates that are still made seem to have been lumbered with silly coupe rooflines which rather ruin their ability to carry bulky items.

Nissan do (or did) make a proper estate-shaped SUV based on their popular Navarra pick-up platform ("Pathfinder"?) which is long enough to make it probably the most practical thing in its class. 

The majority of what are currently marketed as "SUVs" are nothing more than jacked-up hatchbacks with bigger wheels. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, most of estates that are still made seem to have been lumbered with silly coupe rooflines which rather ruin their ability to carry bulky items.

Really? The last two I've had certainly don't fit that description (Golf7 and latest Octavia) and nor do the others I looked at before getting my current Octavia, such as the Astra and Focus. I do agree that the rear roofline is slightly lower on the latest Octavia4/Golf8 but not to the extent that it stops the loading of bulky items such as white goods like washing machines, etc. I know the days of the cavernous estates such as the old Volvos and Montegos has long gone but most medium sized estate cars are still extremely practical and miles better than the SUVs in the same bracket (or even higher bracket). We only swapped cars earlier in the year so had to check out all the alternatives, they had to fit my wife's wheelchair without dismantling it (that gives me a good idea of the carrying capacity for when we go on holidays or carry the layout) and all the medium sized estates I mentioned earlier could do it, but no SUVs in the same price range could!! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

Here you go……pick your favourite ;)

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/62075/best-estate-cars-to-buy

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Hobby said:

Most SUVs are the same, large on the outside, small inside. For load carrying you are still better off with a medium or large estate car, though even they tend to be compromised with non folding rear seat bases. 

Old Volvos

Depends on size of SUV, mine is  roughly the size of a BMW Mini, long items are not easy but heavy no problem, I carried 400kg of wood flooring in it, no problem, the DIY place chap helping load was gobsmacked.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

For what I use it for I am happy with my choice. No way a normal estate could do what I use it for I see you are Worcs location, do you know Peopleton area? I can drive from White Ladies Aston to Peopleton without touching the A422 or the A road south of it.

Water was around 1/2 m  deep and the banks were a bit tractor damaged (not 4x4 damage), straight through no issues not even any wheelspin.

For the odd occasion the weather is that bad that there are floods I just take an alternative route. I've never been stuck in snow and I don't normally go off-road. I live in the northern part of Worcestershire btw. Most SUVs I see don't go anywhere that needs large ground clearance and my wife couldn't use one (we tried a Tiguan when changing car and she couldn't get into it!). 

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Most SUVs I see don't go anywhere that needs large ground clearance and my wife couldn't use one (we tried a Tiguan when changing car and she couldn't get into it!). 

Now we are completely the opposite, we both now struggle (my wife actually is in pain when trying) to ingress/egress any “normal” ride height vehicle, one of the nice things about the i3 we have is the H point is exactly the same height as the H point in our previous Audi Q3 AWD…..they both have about 5 inch height gain over saloon type cars, but she does struggle getting into our families big 4X4s which have “proper” ground clearance for the muddy rutted stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Bring back the Citroen CX! ;)

We’ve had three of those……problem is after a while parked they sit lower than a Texas rattle snake :wacko:

Now wouldn't a contemporary version with the now common remote control work well, want to get in easy before starting….just hit a button on the remote and it raises to your preferred entry height*.

* my IP protected system……:lol:

edit…damn it….just remembered our old Range Rover did that for us…..although it was still too high for Mrs BB

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hobby said:

Really? The last two I've had certainly don't fit that description (Golf7 and latest Octavia) and nor do the others I looked at before getting my current Octavia, such as the Astra and Focus. I do agree that the rear roofline is slightly lower on the latest Octavia4/Golf8 but not to the extent that it stops the loading of bulky items such as white goods like washing machines, etc. I know the days of the cavernous estates such as the old Volvos and Montegos has long gone but most medium sized estate cars are still extremely practical and miles better than the SUVs in the same bracket (or even higher bracket). We only swapped cars earlier in the year so had to check out all the alternatives, they had to fit my wife's wheelchair without dismantling it (that gives me a good idea of the carrying capacity for when we go on holidays or carry the layout) and all the medium sized estates I mentioned earlier could do it, but no SUVs in the same price range could!! :)

Though one thing I have discovered since having the Yeti is that the square roofline has allowed me to get some surprisingly big things in the back without needing to fold the seats down.

Can't think of another small SUV that does that, though.

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

They all seem lacking in the luggage capacity, are those figures correct?

The Falcon they discontinued in 2010 had 2584 litres rear capacity with the seats down, had a lazy 4 litre straight six that'd cruise all day at 180kmh easy  and  do 100kmh on corrugated  outback roads without shaking itself apart and aircon that actually worked in the Northern Territory, unlike pretty much every Euro or Korean SUV they've given us as hire cars since.

image.png.c63991561ae1561bbc57abeedc09cdd6.png

Edited by monkeysarefun

Our roads are a bit smaller than yours, Monkeys, and so our cars tend to be as well... Mostly! TBH most of us don't need anything much bigger than them either, if truth be known. The Octavia has a boot space of 640 litres and that's plenty big enough for our wheelchair, 3 wheel walker, toilet seat surround(!) and luggage for four people and other odds and ends... I doubt most people would carry that much! That's the trouble with many people, they persuaded by the glossy adverts to think they need a larger vehicle but most don't, but because they buy them anyhow we end up with gas guzzlers all over the place that can't even fit in a standard parking space!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Our roads are a bit smaller than yours, Monkeys, and so our cars tend to be as well... Mostly! TBH most of us don't need anything much bigger than them either, if truth be known. The Octavia has a boot space of 640 litres and that's plenty big enough for our wheelchair, 3 wheel walker, toilet seat surround(!) and luggage for four people and other odds and ends... I doubt most people would carry that much! That's the trouble with many people, they persuaded by the glossy adverts to think they need a larger vehicle but most don't, but because they buy them anyhow we end up with gas guzzlers all over the place that can't even fit in a standard parking space!

Far be it for me to dictate car trends in the UK!

I was just having a whinge about  the lack of a proper large wagon these days for those who want  one, compared to the choices of yore. They were very popular here as fleet and hire  cars, more so than private owners but in the pre SUV craze days a family could get one, fit in wife and 4 kids and still have enough space to load up for a camping trip.

Additionally they were on par price wise with the sedan version of the car, these days families  who want a vehicle thatll do that job have to pay a huge price  premium to get a people mover or whatever.

I had a Mitsubishi wagon to fit two dogs in, it was regarded as a mid size one but even that was larger than pretty much all  the currently available ones in that article.

In comparison  these days there seems to be a sausage machine somewhere endlessly poo-ing out identical looking and specced small to medium 2 litre SUV hatch Style vehicles.

I can't tell them apart and I dont know what the difference between them is other than the badge and I dont know how you'd choose one over the other apart from maybe  the finance rates that the individual dealership would offer you..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3