The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

12 hours ago, peanuts said:

is that an  RS1600i or an RS Turbo ? iirc niether were available in red in mk3 form ? except for princess Dianes Black rs turbo 

Definitely available in Rosso red. I had an XR3i on an E plate.  Another local car was an RS turbo in the same colour and the next consecqutive registration number. I believe the RS still survives. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

I thought there were 2 Red and 6 or 8 Black ones !!

sure someone will know for definite…..

cheers,

Phil.

Aha the mysteries of “is it real” OEM colours…….I was in our red cossy Sierra once in Southend (lunchtime errand ;)) and while sitting at traffic lights around the corner came another red whale tail….he did a very fast double take, and then realised he wasted his respray on his brand new Cossy :lol:

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:59, friscopete said:

I have a 2002 golf Mk4  auto ,the full monty version with flash pooter .Its in reasonable condition with just a few wheel arch dents following an altercation with a multi storey and me  .We dont use it much  mainly to take the dogs out a few milesfor favorite walkies and the vets .The aircon pump is gone but it only has 114000 miles so is just running in .All the brakes were done last year..Is it worth  doing the dents and aircon pump(500 Quid) , still debating whether its worth  keeping instead of spending a few grand or five on something newer though not actually better.I do like it as drives well and suits us but its not really a classic  keeper.

The Mk4 is hitting now classic status, probably accelerated by the void left by the Mk3’s lack of just about any attributes that would justify it being the logical progression for anyone who is now priced out of Mk2 territory.

The Anniversary GTi cars are particularly sought after (prices have risen 40-50% in the past couple of years) followed by the standard 150bhp petrol and diesel GTis but any trim model sound, solid and straight car is worth nurturing and with spares still cheap and plentiful, they’re a good bet for anyone with eyes on a future classic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RANGERS said:

The Mk4 is hitting now classic status, probably accelerated by the void left by the Mk3’s lack of just about any attributes that would justify it being the logical progression for anyone who is now priced out of Mk2 territory.

The Anniversary GTi cars are particularly sought after (prices have risen 40-50% in the past couple of years) followed by the standard 150bhp petrol and diesel GTis but any trim model sound, solid and straight car is worth nurturing and with spares still cheap and plentiful, they’re a good bet for anyone with eyes on a future classic.

The mk4 was a nice car and will no doubt be a classic but unfortunately at the moment there are still a lot of chavs driving about in them normally with a bloody joint in their mouths 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My dad scrapped one of his MK4s golf only yesterday, I was tempted to have it off him, tidy it up cosmetically and sell it on quickly 

it was a 2001 Golf match 1.6? Turbo Diesel 5 for in red with a fresh 12 month ticket, just serviced, decided to scrap it as it needed 2 front wings which were an advisory on the MOT, he said it smoked a bit but don’t most diesels of a similar vintage! 

took it to the scrappy and got £175 for it, I’m sure I could have doubled that on eBay with the 12’month MOT but I’ll never know 

he’s still got his 2003 one though  

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Absolutely don’t agree with the Mk4 Golf reaching classic status, it never will. Average looking at best and a huge down step (yes it had all the modern safely features but design and performance were a let down) from a Mk2 Golf (pinnacle Golf model for me). The Mk3 was always a bit of a damp squib (it followed the Mk2 after all) but the Mk4 made it look good and ironically now the Mk3 will probably become a classic (certainly more about it than the Mk4).

BTW I have only had German cars for the last 17 years and the Mk4 Golf (V6 4motion) was the only one I haven’t really enjoyed owning. Poor build quality with all the VW intrinsic issues built in. In fact it had so many faults even with only 63,000 miles on the clock and a decent spec, I got rid and was pleased to see it go.

In the future only R32 and some Anniversary (Diesel and Petrol) will be left, the 2.0 (GTi) with 115 bhp will be but a memory (bad one).

On 26/06/2021 at 21:19, peanuts said:

is that an  RS1600i or an RS Turbo ? iirc niether were available in red in mk3 form ? except for princess Dianes Black rs turbo 

RS Turbo, but with a lot of money thrown at it to make it work properly. The owner claimed there was nothing Ford left in the engine so it was now actually reliable. No idea on paint, but I'd say it's a very fresh (and well done) coat. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Andy7 said:

Absolutely don’t agree with the Mk4 Golf reaching classic status, it never will. Average looking at best and a huge down step (yes it had all the modern safely features but design and performance were a let down) from a Mk2 Golf (pinnacle Golf model for me). The Mk3 was always a bit of a damp squib (it followed the Mk2 after all) but the Mk4 made it look good and ironically now the Mk3 will probably become a classic (certainly more about it than the Mk4).

BTW I have only had German cars for the last 17 years and the Mk4 Golf (V6 4motion) was the only one I haven’t really enjoyed owning. Poor build quality with all the VW intrinsic issues built in. In fact it had so many faults even with only 63,000 miles on the clock and a decent spec, I got rid and was pleased to see it go.

In the future only R32 and some Anniversary (Diesel and Petrol) will be left, the 2.0 (GTi) with 115 bhp will be but a memory (bad one).

My own experience and the rising values of the GTi’s doesn’t reflect your opinions. As with the Mk2s, the other models will follow the trend. 

The Mk4 wasn’t perfect (neither was any other variant of Golf), but it was a big step towards erasing the Mk3 highlights of overweight, poor build quality, poor engines and dull drive. Compare the numbers of Mk4s still on the road compared to 1998-2004 Astra/ Focus/ 307 etc - suggests reliability and durability weren’t a massive issue for owners.

Having covered over 200k miles in two Mk4s, and had Mk5 and 7 as well, the Mk4 was the most reliable and least problematic, though the Mk7 is running it pretty close, if only I could solve the water soluble tailgate drain pipe problem!

6 hours ago, russ p said:

The mk4 was a nice car and will no doubt be a classic but unfortunately at the moment there are still a lot of chavs driving about in them normally with a bloody joint in their mouths 

I work with someone who has a strange view of how a car should be engineered and thinks he can improve on millions of deutschmarks worth of R&D,  but had to book a day off work last week because both of his cars were broken. 

They are both MK4 Golfs, admittedly with astronomical miles but astronomical emissions too....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, RANGERS said:

My own experience and the rising values of the GTi’s doesn’t reflect your opinions. As with the Mk2s, the other models will follow the trend. 

The Mk4 wasn’t perfect (neither was any other variant of Golf), but it was a big step towards erasing the Mk3 highlights of overweight, poor build quality, poor engines and dull drive. Compare the numbers of Mk4s still on the road compared to 1998-2004 Astra/ Focus/ 307 etc - suggests reliability and durability weren’t a massive issue for owners.

Having covered over 200k miles in two Mk4s, and had Mk5 and 7 as well, the Mk4 was the most reliable and least problematic, though the Mk7 is running it pretty close, if only I could solve the water soluble tailgate drain pipe problem!

I will say that the Mk4 was still a much better car than any competitor offered at the time and it is still a VW so that will explain the numbers remaining. It also had some decent engines (PD and arguably the 1.8t).

For me out of all the Mk2’s I have had (9 of), a Bora TDi and a Passat TDi, the Mk4 Golf was a very much low point.

I always thought the Mk5 was nice and can see that being a classic down the line.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a pic of my dads ‘new’ car to replace his wife’s Golf 

1996 Peugeot 306 

9C0AD7BF-0A40-402D-8406-732ACCD3D821.jpeg.f3d86ba319414b240559c77f310151b7.jpeg

bit of a classic in so much as it’s only done 7000 miles and he is the 2nd owner from new! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7

I've had a look at the website and am still uncertain what it's trying to be, any idea? 

It could fit in either this or the old car thread judging by the cover as well! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

I put this in the Old Car thread but maybe t should be here.

New mag on the shelves.

steve

8EF31FEF-5DCA-45DE-916C-554674E80BD7.jpeg

Just had a look at the site and ordered the first edition, well it appears head office is next door to where I used to work, might be one of my mates raided our technical library :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I've had a look at the website and am still uncertain what it's trying to be, any idea? 

It could fit in either this or the old car thread judging by the cover as well! 

The front cover had two of my old cars on it, so why not……I’ll let you know :read:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought the 75 was a really nice car, BMW money and certain refinements underbeneath helped a lot but with a real ROVER touch to the style, if that example had a light interior it’d be perfect ;)

Although I’d like an all electric version like on his license plate :lol:

Well that’s what it looks like…….

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I always thought the 75 was a really nice car, BMW money and certain refinements underbeneath helped a lot but with a real ROVER touch to the style, if that example had a light interior it’d be perfect ;)

Although I’d like an all electric version like on his license plate :lol:

Well that’s what it looks like…….

Can only agree on the interior cannot understand the facination with dark leather interiors .just makes the whole inside darker 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

Can only agree on the interior cannot understand the facination with dark leather interiors .just makes the whole inside darker 

Lazy persons leather……less cleaning required, so company cars get it and sets the trend, bloomin’ annoying.

I had a Rover 76 V6 back in 1999. It was the first car I had where there wasn’t enough noise from the engine or the road to know how fast you were going. This one was made before MG Rover started removing NVH to save money.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2021 at 16:09, peanuts said:

I don't like any colour of leather for car seats, really uncomfortable when it's hot and you want to wear shorts. Making the interior darker is a good thing though, it reduces distraction. And shows the dirt less!