The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold

Got the tracking done today, the garage were happy to use a bit of heat on the seized track rod ends and they managed to free them so that’s saved me replacing them!

E9C522E3-DF18-4A29-8040-A295EA4E7F8C.jpeg.1e68d54d68c6a8761c3ac7d9ef5b26e8.jpeg

7A3D0FB0-B2DA-4FF9-BC41-68318481E1A1.jpeg.bf27b56bb5724fa928acf828a5c796fd.jpeg

so the steering wheel is now in line and it doesn’t tramline and pull to the left 

next up, taking the red mini there for the same but first I’ve got to get the adjustable top mounts fitted on the front 

• Like 4

Here's a photo of the first model of Falcon in Australia the XK which suffered from weak suspension being made for smooth (at the time) American roads, not potholed bitumen and dirt roads of Australia. Also a Ford Zodiac and a 64 Cortina. 

As can be appreciated these photo were taken some time ago and the little boy is me. I've grown a bit since then.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to my dad earlier who had got a ‘new’ car

I’ve not seen any pics yet but he’s got an R reg Peugeot 306, 1 owner, with 7000 miles on the clock! 

looking forward to seeing it 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, big jim said:

Spoke to my dad earlier who had got a ‘new’ car

I’ve not seen any pics yet but he’s got an R reg Peugeot 306, 1 owner, with 7000 miles on the clock! 

looking forward to seeing it 

That low a mileage is a bit worrying really.....brakes and corroded exhaust etc etc.

Might turn out to be a bit of a gem though if he is lucky.

• RMweb Gold

It’s a gem apparently, an old boy used it to go ellesmere to Oswestry a couple of times a week max and it was garaged when not in use, had it serviced regularly by the same garage even had the tyres replaced with OEM Michelin’s when it needed it, my dad is getting the belts changed though incase they are brittle 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, big jim said:

It’s a gem apparently, an old boy used it to go ellesmere to Oswestry a couple of times a week max and it was garaged when not in use, had it serviced regularly by the same garage even had the tyres replaced with OEM Michelin’s when it needed it, my dad is getting the belts changed though incase they are brittle 

Better get the engine oil flushed out really well then, could have quite a bit of “slurry” lurking in the sump if it never did any nice long (hot) runs.

Certainly sounds like it was his pride and joy and looked after though.

12 hours ago, peanuts said:

This popped up in my feed if anyone is looking for a nice run around 

20210607_215935.jpg

That's been lowered, and I can guarantee it'll hurt to drive! (My old Roadster had Eibach springs on Mk1 Bilsteins until I changed to Coilovers) 

On 07/06/2021 at 00:20, faulcon1 said:

Here's a photo of the first model of Falcon in Australia the XK which suffered from weak suspension being made for smooth (at the time) American roads, not potholed bitumen and dirt roads of Australia. Also a Ford Zodiac and a 64 Cortina. 

As can be appreciated these photo were taken some time ago and the little boy is me. I've grown a bit since then.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

I found my own old  pic of a Ford  - , my mates Ford XB hardtop, taken in 1981.

14.JPG.cdc1e852c851e6691a224a51a41642c4.JPG

We were on an end of school roadtrip up the coast at Coffs Harbour.

Mad Max had just been released - Max drove a black version of the same car  and so we spent the 9 hour drive re-enacting parts of the movie while early Midnight Oil blasted from the cassette deck.

We imagined it would be sun and girls but it turned out we had booked the wrong caravan park - ours turned out to be not full of blossoming young school leaver  girls on a similar trip looking for guys who drove a Mad Max car, but was instead used as accommodation for shift workers,one of whom banged loudly on our door the first evening about 8.00 pm and demanded that we turn down the music you Pr**ks , we've all got to get up at 4 tomorrow morning.

Plus it rained all week.

He later sold the car for a Mitsubishi Cordia turbo, but maybe should have kept it, while not the GT which now goes for up to 140,000 of your English pounds, even a bare bones rolling shell  will get you 36,000 pounds...

1.jpg.eefbdcdef9c41a9c9e0f899d0fe48bc8.jpg

2.jpg.296662abb5416e954c130f4b0676175f.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

351 litre and 302 litre engines, I doubt they'd fit in the cars! I assume they wanted to use cubic inches but the sales site wouldn't let them?!

Yes, we only talk in cubes.

On 08/06/2021 at 21:11, monkeysarefun said:

I found my own old  pic of a Ford  - , my mates Ford XB hardtop, taken in 1981.

14.JPG.cdc1e852c851e6691a224a51a41642c4.JPG

I must admit, with not a small amount of shame, my initial thoughts were that Max's car was never that fat arsed behemoth. However, a humbling trip through wiki has educated me on two facts:

1, I'm not as smart as I like to think, especially wrt rhd muscle cars. 

2, Black is indeed a slimming colour.

C6T. 

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I must admit, with not a small amount of shame, my initial thoughts were that Max's car was never that fat arsed behemoth. However, a humbling trip through wiki has educated me on two facts:

1, I'm not as smart as I like to think, especially wrt rhd muscle cars. 

2, Black is indeed a slimming colour.

C6T. 

Someone needs to go to  the Mad Max museum.  Quickest directions, fly to Adelaide then its just a short 6 hour drive though nothingness.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, peanuts said:

Think this one qualifys as a modern classic an Renault 5 turbo that has survived 

20210610_162655.jpg

Always laughed at the advert for these cars, where even during the gearchange the speedometer kept increasing.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just thought it was physically impossible for the speedo to keep moving up, whilst the clutch was disengaged, I'd expected to see at least a stutter in the needle's swing.

I suspect the clutch will only be disengaged for a fraction of a second and the car still has momentum, so speed will still increase. I suppose it would also depend on the ability of the driver as well.  Don't know, just guessing.

• Agree 1