The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

Speaking of expensive cars, the price of many 60's and '70's cars here is mental as baby boomers go spending on cars they wanted way back then. I don't know what the equivalent cars of that era would be in the UK, other than say the V6 Capri but is the same thing happening there? I'm not talking fancypants  Jags and AM's, just run of the mill (but with big engines in) cars that an apprentice plumber could buy back in the day.

As an example, 1977 A9X Torana new price $9000 now price guide is $120,000 to $150,000 but you'd expect to pay over $200,000 for a pristine one.

1968 HK GTS Holden Monaro, new price $3790, now expect to pay $100,000 for a plain jane one, over $200000 for a Bathurst special.

Ford Falcon GTHO phase 3 sold new in 1971 for $5000 now has gone for up to 1.15 million.

A lot of these cars were worth very little in the early '80's and theres plenty of movies including Mad Max, Running On Empty etc that just go through heaps of them, TV series of the time too thus adding to their desirability as well as their scarcity!

Edited by monkeysarefun

59 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Speaking of expensive cars, the price of many 60's and '70's cars here is mental as baby boomers go spending on cars they wanted way back then. I don't know what the equivalent cars of that era would be in the UK, other than say the V6 Capri but is the same thing happening there? I'm not talking fancypants  Jags and AM's, just run of the mill (but with big engines in) cars that an apprentice plumber could buy back in the day.

As an example, 1977 A9X Torana new price $9000 now price guide is $120,000 to $150,000 but you'd expect to pay over $200,000 for a pristine one.

1968 HK GTS Holden Monaro, new price $3790, now expect to pay $100,000 for a plain jane one, over $200000 for a Bathurst special.

Ford Falcon GTHO phase 3 sold new in 1971 for $5000 now has gone for up to 1.15 million.

A lot of these cars were worth very little in the early '80's and theres plenty of movies including Mad Max, Running On Empty etc that just go through heaps of them, TV series of the time too thus adding to their desirability as well as their scarcity!

Seems kind of bonkers the amount of marketplace decimal point shifting going on in Oz.

As a younger man only two cars ever grabbed my attention. A Jag XJ6 for around £can'trememberK and the car I shoulda bought, the Rover 2600 VDP SD1.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, I don't regret it.

If flush Aussies feel the need to spend cash on a desperate nostalgia fix, fill yer boots mate.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking at getting another mini convertible for the summer, seen a couple I like on eBay

Alternatively I’ve seen a mini R56 (newer shape) diesel, 2007 high mileage one for not too much money that I’d just use to go to and from the caravan and use while I’m up there to save the cost of fuel and wear and tear on the Cooper S or Touareg as both average between 30 and 35 mpg, the diesel mini will do a good 60mpg and costs £30 a year tax, weirdly the car I’ve seen happens to be in a garage next to toton depot and one of my jobs next week I have 6 hours to kill in toton so I’m going to go and have a look (if it doesn’t sell by then) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just listened to an ad on Classic FM for the Vauxhall Mokka.  What's in a name, you may ask?  It could make or break sales for the vehicle.  Manufacturers used to employ names that emphasised speed or power , Sunbeam Rapier, eg, and all those exotic American named cars of the fifties and sixties.  More so if a hint of sex was implied!

But Mokka - who thought that one up?  Looks like a Buick over here and a contrived name which means little.  Vauxhall are having a bad enough time selling cars and will find it harder without the largesse of GM.

Brian.

Can't say any of their 'SUV' names are particularly inspiring. At least Mokka is the least worst, Crossland X and Grandland X seem somewhat duller. I guess Mokka is a name to appeal to a younger crowd, wanting to get out of their Corsas into something bigger once the kids come along. A friend has done just that!

As an aside, I don't think Vauxhall needs to worry about not having GM behind them anymore. They've been owned by PSA Group since 2017, which merged with FCA this year to form Stellantis. Now being part of one of the largest automotive groups in the world will certainly help keep the name around. Most of the cars are now just Peugeot's with a Griffin on the front grill anyway.

Andy.

Edited by SWT442

9 hours ago, SWT442 said:

Can't say any of their 'SUV' names are particularly inspiring. At least Mokka is the least worst, Crossland X and Grandland X seem somewhat duller. I guess Mokka is a name to appeal to a younger crowd, wanting to get out of their Corsas into something bigger once the kids come along. A friend has done just that!

As an aside, I don't think Vauxhall needs to worry about not having GM behind them anymore. They've been owned by PSA Group since 2017, which merged with FCA this year to form Stellantis. Now being part of one of the largest automotive groups in the world will certainly help keep the name around. Most of the cars are now just Peugeot's with a Griffin on the front grill anyway.

Andy.

being part of the psa group didnt help Talbot stay around for long did it 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SWT442 said:

Andy.

I used to own big Vauxhalls really Opels but very good cars. There is nothing from PSA I would want.

GM Europe did produce some great engines.  All now gone.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, peanuts said:

being part of the psa group didnt help Talbot stay around for long did it 

Killed the remains of Rootes.

I was a huge fan of the smaller saloon and the hot and the very hot hatch .

Had issues getting spares due to lack of interest.

Days to get a clutch cable , a standard part

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWT442 said:

Mokka just makes me think of a posh coffee.

Nissan Qashqai just makes me think Nissan Cashcard.

All the best

Katy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

Mokka just makes me think of a posh coffee.

Nissan Qashqai just makes me think Nissan Cashcard.

All the best

Katy

It is kumquat some idiot took BBC to court over his ownership of a kumquat as he found the nickname embarrassing.

• RMweb Gold

Lots of car manufacturers deliberately make up names that are meaningless in all languages so they can be called the same everywhere and there only needs to be one set of badges. 

It may sound daft, but AIUI, the idea took off many years ago after no less a firm than Rolls Royce embarrassed themselves by proposing a model name that translated somewhere or other as "Silver Turd".

Peugeot and Mercedes play it safe by using numbers (as did Renault in the past).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

wasnt the Ford pinto one of the most well known bad translation as in a certain country it means ‘small Willy !’

Or is it an urban myth?

Edit: site sensor is being childish and doesn’t like the proper name for a manhood but will accept Willy! 

Edited by big jim

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

It may sound daft, but AIUI, the idea took off many years ago after no less a firm than Rolls Royce embarrassed themselves by proposing a model name that translated somewhere or other as "Silver Turd".

Think they were going to call a car the Silver Mist, but in German mist translates as dung, manure, etc.

Opel weren’t going to use the name Nova from Vauxhall. Nova = Non Va = No Go

All the best

Katy

• Thanks 1

I note the "British brand since 1905" tagline has disappeared from the Vauxhall ads. Idk if someone took umbrage and got onto the ads standards people? 

It seemed an incredibly tenuous and desperate attempt to garner some sort of pride based marketing, not dissimilar to MG, but hardly on the scale of ASDA's weirdo manchild statement that the Three Wise Men would shop at the UK based Walmart over Xmas, which unsurprisingly I only saw the once!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I note the "British brand since 1905" tagline has disappeared from the Vauxhall ads. Idk if someone took umbrage and got onto the ads standards people? 

It seemed an incredibly tenuous and desperate attempt to garner some sort of pride based marketing, not dissimilar to MG, but hardly on the scale of ASDA's weirdo manchild statement that the Three Wise Men would shop at the UK based Walmart over Xmas, which unsurprisingly I only saw the once!

C6T. 

They need to close a few more factories, it is what they do Linwood, Ryton, now they have to close Ellemere Port

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

A somewhat false tagline as it stopped being British in 1925 (when bought out by GM). Still assembled here though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Im on my way to pick the new Mini up, insured it earlier but had a strange experience while doing so, as I’ve got a multi at policy with the Cooper S and Touareg both on with all mods declaired I thought I’d add the new one to that (basically replacing the convertible I sold in December) 

after a while on hold they came back and said due to the value (£1200) and the fact there were NO modifications on the diesel they couldn’t insure it, they could however do it if it was modified so I got them to quote me with a performance chip fitted which they were happy with so reluctantly (yeah right!) I’m going to have to chip it, got myself a TDI tuning performance chip off eBay cheaply that they can reblow for the Cooper diesel that will take it from 110bhp to 145bhp! 

normally having mods causes issues getting insurance, not the other way round! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

A somewhat false tagline as it stopped being British in 1925 (when bought out by GM). Still assembled here though...

Well yeah but...both MG and MINI have been keen to plaster UK branding over their marketing, both equally tenuous in their "Britishness" I'd argue?

Either way, it looks like the ad caused friction somewhere.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Well yeah but...both MG and MINI have been keen to plaster UK branding over their marketing, both equally tenuous in their "Britishness" I'd argue?

Either way, it looks like the ad caused friction somewhere.

C6T. 

At least the Mini is actually made here, well most of it anyway ;)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Im on my way to pick the new Mini up, insured it earlier but had a strange experience while doing so, as I’ve got a multi at policy with the Cooper S and Touareg both on with all mods declaired I thought I’d add the new one to that (basically replacing the convertible I sold in December) 

after a while on hold they came back and said due to the value (£1200) and the fact there were NO modifications on the diesel they couldn’t insure it, they could however do it if it was modified so I got them to quote me with a performance chip fitted which they were happy with so reluctantly (yeah right!) I’m going to have to chip it, got myself a TDI tuning performance chip off eBay cheaply that they can reblow for the Cooper diesel that will take it from 110bhp to 145bhp! 

normally having mods causes issues getting insurance, not the other way round! 

Odd one, who is the company?