The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

8 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Here's a now seriously rare car spotted in Streatham......

IMG_20201228_153318.jpg

I had  1300 the same colour which was a good car. Nica and comfortable, plenty of room in it.

Eventually the oil light started flickering, so we fitted a 1750 Allegro Equipe power unit and its 5 speed box, paid £75 from a local scrapyard for everything we needed (rad, driveshafts, front end wiring loom etc). Left it badged as a  1300 super and it surprised  few XR3's and Astra GTE's.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris M said:

Best car I ever had for taking layouts to exhibitions. Nice flat backend, low floor in loadspace, no lip on rear tailgate and a wide gap between rear wheelarches. Ok it looked a bit like a hearse but I could get my 10ft by 7ft 6in layout in the back. Obviously it was in sections. Mine was that Autumn Gold colour. Despite all the negativity it did its job well - mine was fairly old when I bought it but it got me to work and back every day without any drama. I think the only failure was when the steering lock decided to stick in the on position which took a bit of disassembly work to fix. Unless you buy a van there is probably nothing as good for transporting layouts on the market today.

I eventually graduated to this which was nearly as good and quite a bit quicker.

car10.jpg

2 litre EFi engine,  fantastic.  The iS and GTi montegos had a higher ratio box for better cruising and economy. 

I'm hoping to have my maestro EFi back on the road this year,  can't wait

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I bought a base plate that used the original runners, I actually ended up buying a spare set of shoddy seats that I cannibalised instead of damaging the good seats from the car as I needed to angle grind a couple of brackets off 

001(197).JPG

001(196).JPG

001(195).JPG

• Like 3

The last Holden car built in Australia was auctioned on Saturday, selling for an eye-watering $750,000.

The bright red 2017 Holden VF was the last vehicle to be assembled, welded together and painted in an auto body shop on Australian soil.

image.png.b483f7f6b3536d87e08d2675a7d0fe9d.png

Bidding for the digital auction started at just shy of $300,000 early on Saturday afternoon. By the tail-end of the auction, the asking price jumped from $400,000 to north of $700,000 in just a matter of minutes.

The car was originally expected to fetch somewhere in the vicinity of $500,000.

Lee Hames, the chief operations officer at Lloyds Auctions and Valuers, said the car would remain on Australian soil.

“We are thrilled to confirm the last Holden ever made in Australia has sold to an avid Holden enthusiast,” he said. “It was a real tug of war. It was amazing to be part of.”

Not much is known about the car’s new owner other than he is a man who lives on Australia’s east coast.

Mr Hames said no one expected the car to sell for as much as it did.

“There really was no precedent,” he said. “Today, Holden finally stopped a 16-year reign of Ford having the most expensive registrable car ever sold. That will be very good news for Holden enthusiasts.”

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 12/01/2021 at 01:42, sandwich station said:

I can't remember seeing many of those around when they were current.

The few I recall seeing were always  beige or turd brown.

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Gold

To go with the new front seats I managed to get me a set of rear leather seats for the mini, unfortunately the wrong colour but after a trawl of google and YouTube I have had a go at changing the colour of the leather using dye, so far so good, only one coat so far, after a good clean with wet and dry pads to remove the original leather sealer and some of the colour, then a thorough IPA clean, the first coat is then applied by a sponge before I add another couple of coats via my spray gun 

original blue seats after the wet and dry stage

001(269).JPG

dye added around the seams 

001(271).JPG

then the rest with a sponge too, also with the first coated seat backs 

001(264).JPG

They are currently drying/curing in the man cave ready for the next couple of coats, it actually dries in about 5 mins but I’d rather leave it a while between coats to be sure seans are dry etc

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s why I’m waiting for it to dry well between coats and be fully cured before I refit them, I’m in no rush so they can stay out of the car for a few weeks anyway

admittedly I am a bit wary of it not working properly! 

• RMweb Gold

Fitted new seats to the ZT today.  They are not standard but are read leather instead of red alcantara which along with the copperleaf dash was a factory option with the monogram program. 

I had boyers bodyshop in cromer paint my dash in the same style 

It isn't quite as bright as the photos look 

DSC_1302.JPG

DSC_1300.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Very nice!

I managed to spray the seats with the final couple of coats of leather dye this morning on the mini

001(325).JPG

put some matching Sparco decals on the rear headrests 

001(324).JPG

Completed back seats

615F7AA4-F01E-4E9D-AA04-87453AB4180F.jpeg.0885aa5418788113ef1676ec48b89efa.jpeg

17E6D693-82D1-4C0A-8516-85DA81188619.jpeg.697e9c86a491874a77f354f66d3a1c73.jpeg

also went to my mechanic who fitted the bigger scoop to the car 

001(319).JPG

EDIT: extra pics added 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And in with the seats...

really pleased with how they have turned out, let’s hope the dye stays put! 

2E577CA1-6C4C-403D-A5EA-3E052CAFB760.jpeg.4b2a572ed5a2e13c8d65863cf78a4686.jpeg

also made myself a bit of a boot build using an ‘old school’ Rockford Fosgate amplifier from the early late 90s/early 2000s, just waiting on the same brand subwoofer arriving this week

5A4E316B-FAE4-4F0B-B793-BEB359F94D4C.jpeg.e7f690fe4f403e0a85fdf1d5e9aae596.jpeg

279DD026-91C1-4F1B-850D-D1025206720E.jpeg.a9f361e6b337d8c307080be9ea3f9ac7.jpeg

off to St Neots on Thursday for a custom map to be added as well as a new set of injectors which should push it safely to around the 230bhp mark hopefully

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, big jim said:

And in with the seats...

really pleased with how they have turned out, let’s hope the dye stays put! 

2E577CA1-6C4C-403D-A5EA-3E052CAFB760.jpeg.4b2a572ed5a2e13c8d65863cf78a4686.jpeg

also made myself a bit of a boot build using an ‘old school’ Rockford Fosgate amplifier from the early late 90s/early 2000s, just waiting on the same brand subwoofer arriving this week

5A4E316B-FAE4-4F0B-B793-BEB359F94D4C.jpeg.e7f690fe4f403e0a85fdf1d5e9aae596.jpeg

279DD026-91C1-4F1B-850D-D1025206720E.jpeg.a9f361e6b337d8c307080be9ea3f9ac7.jpeg

off to St Neots on Thursday for a custom map to be added as well as a new set of injectors which should push it safely to around the 230bhp mark hopefully

I thought the Mini had a small boot already.........:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

About time I put up a couple of pics of my BMW Z4 coupe. Colour is Ruby Black (black in shade or a dark day and red/purple on a sunny one).

9A8C9461-666E-45D0-916D-0175B8AB1DAC.jpeg

9CE22FC8-78ED-4784-8CE6-CD3A963C853B.jpeg

1AAC5282-EF2A-4362-A2FE-8FE6CD1CD29C.jpeg

Edited by Andy7
Dodgy spacing.
  • Like 7

One day I imagine these will be quite collectable, certainly the coolest looking car Volvo has ever managed (and it didn't actually take much tweaking from their standard styling of the era either). Sadly their use of the rather poor PSA/Ford DV6 diesel and the fact that the windscreen glue is crap , causing interior leaks which then soak and destroy one of the computer modules will mean a lot will never make it to an age where they will be appreciated. I've currently got 2, This one pictured and another I've just bought to replace it (because it has both the awful DV6 and the bust CEM thanks to leaking windscreen!) 

XT2B5074-Edit.jpg

XT2B4946.jpg

XT2B3380.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, big jim said:

let’s hope the dye stays put! 

I thought that when you posted the photo of them propped up against that very clean looking bright red sofa, Black dye on that would probably never come out!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

One day I imagine these will be quite collectable, certainly the coolest looking car Volvo has ever managed (and it didn't actually take much tweaking from their standard styling of the era either). Sadly their use of the rather poor PSA/Ford DV6 diesel and the fact that the windscreen glue is crap , causing interior leaks which then soak and destroy one of the computer modules will mean a lot will never make it to an age where they will be appreciated. I've currently got 2, This one pictured and another I've just bought to replace it (because it has both the awful DV6 and the bust CEM thanks to leaking windscreen!) 

XT2B5074-Edit.jpg

XT2B4946.jpg

XT2B3380.jpg

I've fancied a C30 T5 for a while as I share your liking for the looks, mind you might reconsider my position judging by this leaky windscreen business. :-/

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I've fancied a C30 T5 for a while as I share your liking for the looks, mind you might reconsider my position judging by this leaky windscreen business. :-/

It affects all Volvos from the same period unfortunately, and if you have a sunroof model then the drain pipes for that also run the risk of soaking the CEM! it's easy enough to check for, damp carpets being the big giveaway, and if it's been a long term thing then the seat runners will likely have gone rusty making it obvious. 

I'd like a T5, but can't afford to be running that as a daily - hence the 1.D R Design DRIVe. 

• Informative/Useful 1