The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, peanuts said:

This is why the 2.7td jag s types hold thyre value over the v6 & v8 petrols as there is a market for good low milage s types to swop the engines out of onto Discos and then bin the shell for spares 

Awful waste of an S-Type!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Harris said:

For those who was a classic car, yet still want a new car, try either of these.

Sadly deep pockets are required, but I suppose they are actually quite cheap for a hand-built car.

jch

£83K basic.....hmmmmmm.......maybe not :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit easier job for me today, just a grille swap from red to black, got to black out the red behind the lower grille as it looks a bit odd 

001(139).JPG

if the weather is with me I’ve got some new seats to go in tomorrow 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2021 at 07:03, Classsix T said:

Not all bad though, we're spared Nissan's ugly cack-handed Infiniti brand. Cars instantly aesthetically improved by a frontal collision.

C6T. 

If you're referring to Infiniti being available in the UK, I've got some bad news for you. There's just a few (hundred) for sale on Autotrader.

They've been for sale in the UK since 2010, but pulled out last year I think.

Personally, I think the Q50 isn't bad looking, if a little bland.

Andy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Today's job, trying to get the heater unit out of the Maserati. Fan has died.

Dashboard out, water pipes disconnected, now stuck with the a/c pipes (system is empty)

All the best

Katy

DSC_0512.JPG

That picture reminds me just why I don’t miss old cars anymore , good luck Katy.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SWT442 said:

If you're referring to Infiniti being available in the UK, I've got some bad news for you. There's just a few (hundred) for sale on Autotrader.

They've been for sale in the UK since 2010, but pulled out last year I think.

Personally, I think the Q50 isn't bad looking, if a little bland.

Andy.

If I had loads of money to spend on a Nissan?

GT-R is the answer.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, big jim said:

A bit easier job for me today, just a grille swap from red to black, got to black out the red behind the lower grille as it looks a bit odd 

001(139).JPG

if the weather is with me I’ve got some new seats to go in tomorrow 

RichRebuilds has also been working on a Mini...

• Like 1

Hiya

Heater unit now out of the Maserati. Final pain was a bundle of wires to the heater for which I couldn't find the block connector. Finally realised that where this bundle disappeared under a bracket, it was instead a bundle of earth wires going to a bolt underneath the bracket.

It has obviously been bodged before

All the best 

Katy

DSC_0516.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Kickstart said:

Hiya

Heater unit now out of the Maserati. Final pain was a bundle of wires to the heater for which I couldn't find the block connector. Finally realised that where this bundle disappeared under a bracket, it was instead a bundle of earth wires going to a bolt underneath the bracket.

All the best 

Katy

DSC_0516.JPG

That foam has just disintegrated, reminds me of 40 year old camera light trap foam, goes all sticky and ‘orrible  as well......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kickstart said:

Hiya

All the best 

Katy

DSC_0516.JPG

Bi Turbo?

1 minute ago, Kickstart said:

Interesting. Which switches, and which Renault? On the early ones some bits are Chrysler

All the best

Katy

Column stalks were Renault 9 from memory, I think the steering lock and switch are Renault too, possibly the whole top steering column assy.

Lots of the console switches come from the Renault parts bin as well

• Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, peanuts said:

oh dear elecrtics from the diamond of death from experiance they are a nightmare change or tighten and clean every conection you can 

Harsh, no worse than 80's VAG switchgear which is nasty and cheap.

But then I'm biased being a happy Renault owner.

2-0 litre 16v Clio 3, modern classic? Love it as it looks just like my mrs 1.2 version. A real wolf in sheep;s clothing

thumbnail_IMG_2064.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Here's a now seriously rare car spotted in Streatham......

IMG_20201228_153318.jpg

Best car I ever had for taking layouts to exhibitions. Nice flat backend, low floor in loadspace, no lip on rear tailgate and a wide gap between rear wheelarches. Ok it looked a bit like a hearse but I could get my 10ft by 7ft 6in layout in the back. Obviously it was in sections. Mine was that Autumn Gold colour. Despite all the negativity it did its job well - mine was fairly old when I bought it but it got me to work and back every day without any drama. I think the only failure was when the steering lock decided to stick in the on position which took a bit of disassembly work to fix. Unless you buy a van there is probably nothing as good for transporting layouts on the market today.

I eventually graduated to this which was nearly as good and quite a bit quicker.

car10.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, peanuts said:

oh dear elecrtics from the diamond of death from experiance they are a nightmare change or tighten and clean every conection you can 

What era of Renault? I had a 10, 12 and 18, and the only electrical problem with any was on the 18. 

The latter, a '79 GTS, all was fine for the first two years I owned it, then it developed an appetite for starter motors. Went through (the original?) Paris-Rhone one and three (new/recon) replacements in just over a year. It only stopped when I got a noisy, but apparently indestructible Bosche one from a breaker. Always sounded like it was about to fail, but never did...

Years later, I scrapped it (rust) but removed the carb and manifolds to fit to my step-father's newer 18 which had the California spec. bits in that area. Plus 20 bhp and an extra 8mpg instantly.... 

Found the cause - weepy core-plug nearest the starter, not bad enough to see when cold, which it was whenever we changed a starter motor. The Bosche one had its ventilation holes in different places so wasn't eaten. The coolant loss was slight enough that I'd put up with it......

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1