The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

On 18/12/2020 at 21:19, big jim said:

Had to laugh yesterday, I was on the M6 toll road in the mini and a Lamborghini aventador passed me near the toll booths, we ended up alongside each other and when my barrier went up I left the lambo standing and it took him nearly 2 miles to finally get past...........

the reason?

when he got to the toll booth the driver couldn’t reach the card slot from the drivers seat so had to open the gull wing door and get out to put his card in

Does the UK really still have toll booths?

Edited by monkeysarefun

11 minutes ago, big jim said:

You can get the tags for the M6 toll but it doesn’t really save much money, maybe 20p a trip max and I can normally get through the gate as quick as those cars that go through the tag lane anyway 

Theres one tollway here that the opposition party of the time made an election promise back  around 15 years or so ago to abolish the toll of.  They  got voted in and found out that since the tollway was owned 49% by a private company they couldn't actually abolish it.

So what they do is every 3 months you get a statement of trips made on your tag, you sign it and send it back to them and they send you the money.  Wierdly, successive governments have never abolished this practice, despite adding several more tollways along the route that this one is on.

A very rare picture of the ute being used as a ute....

6 litres of  Chevy-ness,  6 speed manual,  362BHP,  0 to 100kmh in 5 seconds and it can take the results of a weekend of garden demolition work  to the tip. Try that in an Aston Martin Vantage!

Oh, unless they've got a trailer I guess.

PXL_20201225_220853773.jpg.5912973d3dadaab523c61605fe36350d.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

6 litres of  Chevy-ness,  6 speed manual,  362BHP,  0 to 100kmh in 5 seconds and it can take the results of a weekend of garden demolition work  to the tip. Try that in an Aston Martin Vantage!

Imagine the mayhem that could result from a Vantage + trailer if one forgot the trailer was there..... 

John

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Could be useful for taking the layout to exhibitions.

• RMweb Premium

Holdens has been killed off by GM, they did it a couple of years ago.

The big ones (Commodore) were heavily based on the German GM cars, the squarish ones famous for Bathurst were basically enlarged Senators with a V8, replaced by the airsmoothed Senator/Omega A replaced based one, then by an enlarged Omega B with a TWR modded V8 (I think) then when the Eurpopean V can floor pan bit the dust a Aus USA floorpan for this size we never had in Europe, except as the VXR8 import (I wanted one).

Then that one was replaced by an Insignia with a V6. it is NOT a proper Commodore.

This is why the Holdens were the best GM large cars, non US spec V8s in a modified German floorpan.

This seems to be getting delinked within Wiki and could not find with 2 different search engines,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_V_platform_(1966)

37 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Pseudo hot rod. Needs a clean!

steve

2FD372C3-D66D-4463-A180-CE28EDC5811F.jpeg

That's not even dirty!!  I'm clambering about underneath mine at the moment, managed to get the bumper caught on grass and soil on the path round to my garage. Broken some of the mountings I think.

This is dirty and the picture doesn't show it as bad as it is, mine's a daily driver anyway

IMG_20201227_133928499.jpg.50cd593730137dd92e7cfba33b127aab.jpg

On 19/12/2020 at 20:58, Dunsignalling said:

If so and the lifetime is 150k OR 10 years as cited earlier, it reinforces my long held prejudices about Fords....

John

Our Mark 1 Fiesta lasted over 20 years and was still in good mechanical shape when the tin worm got it. That said, I don't think it had got anywhere near 150K.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Our Mark 1 Fiesta lasted over 20 years and was still in good mechanical shape when the tin worm got it. That said, I don't think it had got anywhere near 150K.

The door mirrors were rotting their way out of my 1985 Mk2 by 1993 when it had not much more than 20k on the clock. I haven't touched anything with a blue badge since.

John

2 hours ago, great central said:

That's not even dirty!!  I'm clambering about underneath mine at the moment, managed to get the bumper caught on grass and soil on the path round to my garage. Broken some of the mountings I think.

This is dirty and the picture doesn't show it as bad as it is, mine's a daily driver anyway

IMG_20201227_133928499.jpg.50cd593730137dd92e7cfba33b127aab.jpg

Got it sorted, the previous owner(s) had already broken the bottom mountings so all I did was make it worse! It had scooped up 2 dustpans full of mud and grass.

I've improvised some bottom mountings using the bits of broken ones and assorted screws and washers, it's actually better now than when I got it. Also spent some time yesterday removing the ridge of mud and grass on the path the rear garage.

• RMweb Gold

Gave the ZT a midwinter clean up today first a contactless wash to get bits off then a shampoo followed by a new ceramic infused wax from car chem then applied a sealer from them aptly named lock down.  

This should give it protection until the spring now 

DSC_1055.JPG

DSC_1044.JPG

DSC_1045.JPG

• Like 9

From Holden's rival in Australia a Ford EF GLi Falcon. A rather battered example but it still goes nonetheless. He says the design was done at the American design studios which is wrong. The car is wholly designed in Australia with no input from the American parent company whatsoever.

Edited by faulcon1