The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

On 21/11/2020 at 15:00, big jim said:

Glad I decided to sell the blue cooper S, went out in it this morning onto have a rattle start, big end has gone now! 

dropped the price on eBay to reflect it, roll on getting the replacement 

The BMW Mini is just awful in all forms, pig ugly and unreliable. 

They're a joke in the trade, but very good for business!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Chris M said:

The thing I loved about cars with A series engines is that they would start on a cold morning. That might not sound much but moving from a 1970s Ford it was quite a revelation for me.

Yes, provided you poured a boiling kettle of water over the inlet manifold, or take the plugs out put them on a gas ring then whilst not burning your fingers reinstall them and get to the ignition key before they cooled down :lol:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Some modern engines have chains. The Honda 2.2 diesel did and the current Honda 1.5 turbo does. 

V8's and V6's both Ford and Holden  in Australia have only ever had chains as far as I can recall, except when Holden went weird for a bit  back in the 90's and used a Nissan V6 for a while for some reason.

Don't know anything about the little engines.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, provided you poured a boiling kettle of water over the inlet manifold, or take the plugs out put them on a gas ring then whilst not burning your fingers reinstall them and get to the ignition key before they cooled down :lol:

Never had to that and for the first ten years of my driving all I owned were older BMC/BL cars with A series engines, but why spoil a good myth, eh... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

My A30 was set up (including for 80 octane fuel) by the book. Although I used the electric start normally, she would start easily on the starting handle (remember those?) Insert it into the dog with the handle at the top, 2 fingers pressing the handle down, & she was away.

Stewart

9 hours ago, stewartingram said:

My A30 was set up (including for 80 octane fuel) by the book. Although I used the electric start normally, she would start easily on the starting handle (remember those?) Insert it into the dog with the handle at the top, 2 fingers pressing the handle down, & she was away.

Stewart

I'm not surprised the dog was away if you stuck a handle in it...

steve

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Every car I had with an A series was a brilliant starter. My only Ford wouldn't start if it was below freezing even when kept in the garage. I found that leaving it in the garage with an electric fan heater blowing under the front of the car for ten minutes helped on cold mornings. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Hobby said:

Never had to that and for the first ten years of my driving all I owned were older BMC/BL cars with A series engines, but why spoil a good myth, eh... 

Indeed, time has a way of glossing over the cracks :lol:

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Chris M said:

Every car I had with an A series was a brilliant starter. My only Ford wouldn't start if it was below freezing even when kept in the garage. I found that leaving it in the garage with an electric fan heater blowing under the front of the car for ten minutes helped on cold mornings. 

I stalled the driving school Anglia (with the odd rear window) and the instructor told me it had been into the dealer for checks on that. It was discovered that when the starter was used, the ignition feed (ie to the coil) was disconnected (and designed like that). So use the starter to spin it over, then turn the key back to ignition to let it fire whilst still spinning!

Stewart

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up the new mini this morning

straight onto de-chroming the belt-line and door handles

3CCF50F2-AE09-48B1-89E7-0C50AFAB96EE.jpeg.bfa29761866ae498610be9c05732f293.jpeg

hopefully a spoiler swap tomorrow for the G-Wing then it’s into the stereo at the weekend, swapping the headunit and speakers

going to order some spotlights too, the ones I took off the blue one look shabby against the red grille of this car 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Took the mini over to near St Neots today to a company called 1320 mini who converted my spare manifold/catalytic convertor into a ‘Tomcat’ catalytic converter as without one the car was far too loud (and illegal) 

001(46).JPG

001(44).JPG

and then onto the rolling road to see what it was producing power wise 

001(43).JPG

it managed 165bhp at the wheels which equates to 195bhp at the crank and that’s without it’s reduced pulley fitted or a remap, both of which will be being done in February hopefully 

• Like 4

On 15/11/2020 at 11:20, russ p said:

I bought some bits off a bloke near Norwich that had put a montego turbo diesel in a PT cruiser for some reason.  Was a very neat conversion gad certainly would not have been easy 

If it was red, I think I remember seeing that at Billing one year.

I would rather be associated with a hateful car with normal drivers than a normal car with hateful drivers. For example, our neighbour drives a diesel golf but being a dispensing practice nurse means she can legally give out drugs unlike the county lines dealers who seem to favour that kind of car (*other German marques with clichéd owners may also apply).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 298 said:

If it was red, I think I remember seeing that at Billing one year.

I would rather be associated with a hateful car with normal drivers than a normal car with hateful drivers. For example, our neighbour drives a diesel golf but being a dispensing practice nurse means she can legally give out drugs unlike the county lines dealers who seem to favour that kind of car (*other German marques with clichéd owners may also apply).

It was red

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Sam*45110*SVR said:

Here's my MG ZS 180, I bought it just before lockdown as my first car and I'm very glad I did! Looking a bit mucky here after a drive into the peak district.

IMG_20201212_152425_4.jpg

You want to try and keep that clean as unfortunately the DO rust especially the face-lift version. 

Lovely car though,  I was looking for a diesel version a couple of years ago but I couldn't find a decent one at the time and ended up with a ZT . I also have a ZR 

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2020 at 18:22, Chris M said:

Some modern engines have chains. The Honda 2.2 diesel did and the current Honda 1.5 turbo does. 

I think Mazdas do too, or at least did until about five years ago.

Not sure what the current ones have.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling