The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Paperlad said:

Some people need medical help:D.

I bought a diesel as my daily user and seriously dislike it! It’s the first diesel I’ve owned and I bought it for the better fuel consumption thinking that I’d get used to the diesel rattle, how wrong I was. And don’t get me started on the supposed merits of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that it’s fitted with. The rest of it is nice tho (Volvo S90) it’s just the awful noise it makes:mda:.

PL.

Mine is my first Diesel too, people are not keen on it because it can be a bit revvy for a Diesel, others love it because it is revvy for a Diesel.

As to sound, sounds like a truck engine, not clattery but gruff

• Like 1

I've been driving diesels for 30 years or so, I can't understand this need for acceleration and speed. Basically if I'd wanted a car that did that and sounds nice I'd get a petrol car, preferably a V8, as it is i don't and I couldn't give a toss about the noise... I do wonder about people who buy a diesel and then moan about the noise, what on earth did you expect?!! ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paperlad said:

Some people need medical help:D.

I bought a diesel as my daily user and seriously dislike it! It’s the first diesel I’ve owned and I bought it for the better fuel consumption thinking that I’d get used to the diesel rattle, how wrong I was. And don’t get me started on the supposed merits of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that it’s fitted with. The rest of it is nice tho (Volvo S90) it’s just the awful noise it makes:mda:.

PL.

I have a 2002 plate V70, bought for shifting layouts in.  It's got the D5 engine, and tbh, when the doors are shut, you can hardly hear the engine.

Doors or windows open, and stationary, then yes, it's loud and clattery, but otherwise acceptable.

• Like 3

On 26/03/2020 at 13:50, Hobby said:

I've been driving diesels for 30 years or so, I can't understand this need for acceleration and speed. Basically if I'd wanted a car that did that and sounds nice I'd get a petrol car, preferably a V8, as it is i don't and I couldn't give a toss about the noise... I do wonder about people who buy a diesel and then moan about the noise, what on earth did you expect?!! ;)

had this 2.7 v6 twinturbo diesel smooth quiet went like a rocket bags of torque best diesel i ever had till it went  bang on the M74

_DSC1358-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2020 at 13:50, Hobby said:

i had the 5 litre V10 diesel VW Phaeton LWB, that sounded awesome when you hoofed it, 300+ BHP and 0-60 in 6 seconds, not bad for a 2.5 ton bus

E645759D-47E3-4C62-A665-DE08A4158867.jpg

thats the day i swapped from the 3l diesel to the 5l (5l LWB one is at the rear)

i do quite fancy another phaeton though

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, peanuts said:

had this 2.7 v6 twinturbo diesel smooth quiet went like a rocket bags of torque best diesel i ever had till it went  bang on the M74

_DSC1358-2.jpg

Crank?

11 hours ago, MJI said:

Crank?

believe so had just come out of gretna services gave it some beans to get around a line of trucks and all hell let loose . switched off rolled onto hs and that was it towed into gretna picked up by family sold onto a friend who stripped it for parts for his Stype .miss that car so much was such a lovely drive for long distances 52 mpg on a long run 28 mpg around town happy with that just wish I had the cash to buy another 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, peanuts said:

believe so had just come out of gretna services gave it some beans to get around a line of trucks and all hell let loose . switched off rolled onto hs and that was it towed into gretna picked up by family sold onto a friend who stripped it for parts for his Stype .miss that car so much was such a lovely drive for long distances 52 mpg on a long run 28 mpg around town happy with that just wish I had the cash to buy another 

Seems very common, puts me of a Discovery 3 or 4 entirely.

And if a usually used as donor car (because they don't tend to break in them) is breaking them, what is the future for anything with that engine?

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MJI said:

And if a usually used as donor car (because they don't tend to break in them) is breaking them, what is the future for anything with that engine?

Although only a small percentage are affected it is a major concern, which is why we went for a full fat 3.6 V8 version of the engine in the Range Rover, the Disco is a great car but man maths dictated that £3000 for a couple of turbos (an issue on the 3.6 occasionally) is a lot cheaper than £12000 for a new engine in a Disco!

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Although only a small percentage are affected it is a major concern, which is why we went for a full fat 3.6 V8 version of the engine in the Range Rover, the Disco is a great car but man maths dictated that £3000 for a couple of turbos (an issue on the 3.6 occasionally) is a lot cheaper than £12000 for a new engine in a 

2 hours ago, MJI said:

was 1k overdue its 115k service which is a biggie all engine oil and filters plus breathes etc gearbox major service fresh oil and filters plus module reset had planned to have it done on return from Scotland £520 at local independent jag place never got there

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Although only a small percentage are affected it is a major concern, which is why we went for a full fat 3.6 V8 version of the engine in the Range Rover, the Disco is a great car but man maths dictated that £3000 for a couple of turbos (an issue on the 3.6 occasionally) is a lot cheaper than £12000 for a new engine in a Disco!

Hence I still have a TD5 Disco

34 minutes ago, peanuts said:

was 1k overdue its 115k service which is a biggie all engine oil and filters plus breathes etc gearbox major service fresh oil and filters plus module reset had planned to have it done on return from Scotland £520 at local independent jag place never got there

Quite sad really, where did they go wrong with that engine?

• RMweb Gold

Shiny new (2nd hand) milltek stainless exhaust on the cooper S 

B876DF88-21A1-4B7B-904A-DBF06E161FD7.jpg

and a set of bilstein B14 coilovers to improve the handling

79FB3985-A706-423F-8F94-84B336B5BC65.jpg

also got a smaller supercharger pulley on it now and had had a few oil seals renewed, only problem is it’s 40 miles away on the Wirral so I can’t collect it until lockdown is over as it’s hardly an essential journey! Still keeps the miles down on it as I have a limited mileage policy and I’m enjoying using the convertible anyway 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Slight thread drift, had one of the new generation MG as a hire car yesterday 

MG3

D89C6BAF-EA11-4B1C-AF3A-77469E60DAE5.jpg

Been looking forward to getting this car since I got the confirmation earlier in the week, first impression, Obviously built to a budget but not too bad to be fair, don’t know what petrol engine it has but it went well enough, not break neck acceleration but got to 70 quite nippily, bit noisy on the motorway at 70, probably could do with a 6 speed box 

internally, not bad again, plasticky with some sort of burbury check in sliver across the dash, the seating position was too high for my liking, the guy who took it off me is about 6”8’ so I don’t know how he got on in it! Decent radio, DAB, apple CarPlay etc but the heating controls were a bit strange, you can only see what Heat and blower setting you are set to via the screen meaning you have to twiddle your knob to get the display to show the info 

probably worth a look at again in the future for a 2nd or 3rd hand one When values have dropped to bangernomics levels, also be interested to try the sport version (hoping the seat will be lower!) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, big jim said:

MG3

Been looking forward to getting this car since I got the confirmation earlier in the week, first impression, Obviously built to a budget but not too bad to be fair, don’t know what petrol engine it has but it went well enough, not break neck acceleration but got to 70 quite nippily, bit noisy on the motorway at 70, probably could do with a 6 speed box 

internally, not bad again, plasticky with some sort of burbury check in sliver across the dash, the seating position was too high for my liking, the guy who took it off me is about 6”8’ so I don’t know how he got on in it! Decent radio, DAB, apple CarPlay etc but the heating controls were a bit strange, you can only see what Heat and blower setting you are set to via the screen meaning you have to twiddle your knob to get the display to show the info 

probably worth a look at again in the future for a 2nd or 3rd hand one When values have dropped to bangernomics levels, also be interested to try the sport version (hoping the seat will be lower!) 

Sorry but that is not an MG. I wouldn't have one because of what the Chinese did to MG Rover. They pretended to be interested in buying it but their game plan was always to let it go bust and pick up the pieces cheap. I think they did this mainly avoid any pensions liabilities. The big mistake they made was that when MGR went bust the whole distribution chain went down with it. If the Chinese had bought it like they said they would then they would have kept the distribution chain in place and be selling considerably more cars across the whole of Europe.

I think the "Z" series of cars were true to the MG tradition - take an existing saloon car and soop it up a bit. I thought the ZS180s were great at the time and had a couple of them.

car17.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Chris M said:

I think the "Z" series of cars were true to the MG tradition - take an existing saloon car and soop it up a bit. I thought the ZS180s were great at the time and had a couple of them.

Was that the V6? A friend of mine had one of those, and had no end of trouble with it - the plastic inlet manifold kept breaking if I remember correctly.

I had an MGF - proper parts-bin special in the old MG tradition, lovely to drive (very well balanced, being mid-engined), but an absolute pig to work on, because almost everything was inaccessible!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, big jim said:

MG3

I am wondering what the engine is?

They did/do have a Ricardo designed engine heavily based on reverse engineered K series. Or a GM lump.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MJI said:

I am wondering what the engine is?

They did/do have a Ricardo designed engine heavily based on reverse engineered K series. Or a GM lump.

Having had a look, it’s a 1.5 of some description 

from top gear mag....

It’s a 1.5-litre petrol, with 105bhp and 101lb ft. 0-62mph in 10.4 seconds, which is competitive with rivals. On paper, all is well.On the road, though, all is not well. This engine is a dog. The torque curve is peaky so you’ve got to rev it to feel like you’re making any sort of progress. And as soon as you do that, it gets harsh and raspy.It’s not even especially eco. Combined fuel economy is 48.7mpg and emissions are 136g/km. When 3-Series saloons are trundling around with under 110g/km, that is seriously poor.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My missus has an MG3, it's not a proper MG granted. 

But for a cheap run about it's not bad , to get it to go you have to really rev it and then its quite good fun .

The engine apparently is a GM unit. 

The dimensions like wheel base and track are identical to the ZR and the general arrangement of the suspension is the same as the maestro something the salesman at our local dealer didn't like telling. 

Nothing wrong with it as its the same as mk1 and 2 golf.

When she got it from a main dealer in Brandon it was six grand for a two year old car with one owner and low mileage. 

One of the reasons I wanted her to have it was that it is so easy to work on and no cambelt. The only thing I can't do is reset the service indicator 

I was a bit worried about getting parts then amazingly a dealership opened less than a mile from our house.

This particular car was actually screwed together in longbridge too

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Was that the V6? A friend of mine had one of those, and had no end of trouble with it - the plastic inlet manifold kept breaking if I remember correctly.

I had an MGF - proper parts-bin special in the old MG tradition, lovely to drive (very well balanced, being mid-engined), but an absolute pig to work on, because almost everything was inaccessible!

I've not had or heard of any problems with the V6 lump which is what I had in both mine.

The MGF was indeed a parts bin special being based around two Metro subframes.

A little story about the MGF. I looked after the finances forthe vendor tooling at the time of the MGF. The vendor tooling for a completely new car was usually about £90 million at the time. When I put the figures together for the MGF it came out at £18 million. I took this to the finance manager for the whole programme but he wouldn't accept my figures. He told me he needed a figure under £15m. We had a little informal chat (coz we were mates) and while he unofficially  agreed my figures were realistic he told me he needed a breakdown that came to under £15m so he could get the project approved. We would then go back and ask for more when it was too late for the project to be stopped. I did as suggested and always wondered why Rover failed to make much of a profit....

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

As I say I quite liked it but it really needs another gear and the seat to go lower, I do prefer the old shape one too 

i had a look last night and you can get the sporty one for around £3-£4K now about 3 years old which is really good value 

we too have a dealer 500m away 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

When they designed the MGF car, were they still employing the bloke whose job it was to put brackets (usually with sharp edges) to be where your knuckles end up?

• Like 2