The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SWT442 said:

It'll sit where the current filter is, above where the stock intake goes into the filter, so in theory there should be some cold air getting to it! In most kits I've seen, the mounting creates a 'wall' of sorts between it and the engine block. I'll be honest, there is also a vanity aspect to installing one rather than trying to acheive any performance enhancement. It's a bottom of the pile job though, so not something I'm desperate to do.

The kaput EGR valve on the other hand, is top of the pile!

Andy.

Better than nothing I guess, but the manufacturers put the filter box basically anywhere it’ll fit and be able to be serviced it could be in the hottest part of the engine bay but there is little effect on air temperature as the air is fast flowing through the box, the important bit is the air inlet position both for cold air and water ingress, I spent hundreds of hours getting positions correct for both (more essentially water ingress, prevention of) but cold air is a prerequisite of fuelling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'm pleased to say that my 2005 Toyota Avensis passed it's MOT with no advisories on Saturday :) Not bad for a 15 year old car with over 130,000 on the clock!

Toyota, should be expected ;)

Whats more impressive is our 2006 Land Rover FL2 has passed every MoT so far without a problem, yes.....a LAND ROVER :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Took the ute for its annual roadworthiness check yesterday. I know I haven't driven it much (its a 2010 model with 31000km on the clock)  but I didn't realise how little until the bloke told me that the front tires (the originals) needed changing due to weather cracking from under use (and sitting in the Aust sun for 10 years...).

Thats my dad - not me. He's about to make standard old person observations after checking the car out - stuff about miles to the gallon  and so on. Its a 6 litre V8,  I've never even bothered checking the fuel consumption!

IMAG0689cropped.jpg.6ed84517e22926486ef2233638e630b4.jpg

Yesterday GM announced they are killing off the Holden brand as part of their retreat from righthand drive markets. Tis a very sad day for Australia and a long way away from the glory days of the '70's and early '80's when you drove a V8 Ford or a V8 Holden or you had no luck with the ladies.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thats my dad - not me. He's about to make standard old person observations after checking the car out - stuff about miles to the gallon  and so on. Its a 6 litre V8,  I've never even bothered checking the fuel consumption!IMAG0689cropped.jpg.6ed84517e22926486ef2233638e630b4.jpg

But he never mentioned the colour? :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

GM have basially given up on cars outside of the US.

Europe now all Peugeots.

Sad end to the big Opels as well.

For years Holdens were basically Opels with small block V8s.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MJI said:

For years Holdens were basically Opels with small block V8s.

Soap and water!  Holden went to importing Opels  a couple of years ago when they lost the will to live and ditched the Australian designed and made Commodore for some Euro box thing.   The Commodore in its hey day  was also exported to   the US as a Pontiac , while  the Monaro  - the 2 door version of the Commodore was designed here as well and  sent to the US as a Pontiac GTO.

Prior to that all Holdens were designed and built here - The Statesman, Monaro, Kingswood, and the mighty Torana - which actually started life as a Vauxhall Viva...

The beginning of the end was around 2014 when the federal 'government' removed support from our car manufacturing industry causing the end of local production here for Ford and Toyota as well as Holden.

11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

But he never mentioned the colour? :lol:

He knows I've always had a soft spot for yellow Holdens - here is my first one from way back then..

12.JPG.1157d9658d032f13321fa5928985eff5.JPG

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Soap and water!  Holden went to importing Opels  a couple of years ago when they lost the will to live and ditched the Australian designed and made Commodore for some Euro box thing.   The Commodore in its hey day  was also exported to   the US as a Pontiac , while  the Monaro  - the 2 door version of the Commodore was designed here as well and  sent to the US as a Pontiac GTO.

Prior to that all Holdens were designed and built here - The Statesman, Monaro, Kingswood, and the mighty Torana - which actually started life as a Vauxhall Viva...

The beginning of the end was around 2014 when the federal 'government' removed support from our car manufacturing industry causing the end of local production here for Ford and Toyota as well as Holden.

He knows I've always had a soft spot for yellow Holdens - here is my first one from way back then..

12.JPG.1157d9658d032f13321fa5928985eff5.JPG

Yes Opel based hence they can do corners

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_V_platform_(1966)

They were Opel based until those weird transverse V6 things.

As an example

VT - Omega B  (UK Carlton)

VN - Senator B / Omega A (UK Carlton B)

4 hours ago, MJI said:

VT - Omega B  (UK Carlton)

VN - Senator B / Omega A (UK Carlton B)

Ah - that was the Commodore, true Holden purists will say that that was the start of the demise -  when Holden tried marketing it as a 'world car', rather than something that Mad Max would want to drive.

It really did get a bit nutty here for a while in the 70's before the fun police got involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

The phase 4 HO-ey pictured in the article sold at auction a couple of years ago for $2.1 mill.

Cashed up boomers here really love the muscle cars of their youth  and are sending the prices into orbit, overlooking  the drum brakes, no air con and death trap safety standards for the chance to relive breaking down a lot in the summer heat.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ah - that was the Commodore, true Holden purists will say that that was the start of the demise -  when Holden tried marketing it as a 'world car', rather than something that Mad Max would want to drive.

It really did get a bit nutty here for a while in the 70's before the fun police got involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

I hope you consider me a friend monkeys, I feel an affiliation, of sorts. But are the likes of you and I an absolutely hypocritical paradox of "give us stupidly not practical vehicles and save the planet"? Because we now have to deal with the consequences of our desire for sodding geet v-form engines?

I will regularly watch episodes of Columbo on telly and the stupidly excessively huge cars the US were churning out seems incredulous to me, born in 1972 myself BTW.

I think I said in the now closed global warming thread that we've probably done the damage already so fill yer boots, zoo's got Koalas, right?

C6T. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The faster you go, the quicker you get there so the car gets used less -  gotta  be good for the planet.

You need an emoticon on the end of that one sunshine, the woke brigade don't get sarcasm. 

C6T. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

You need an emoticon on the end of that one sunshine, the woke brigade don't get sarcasm. 

C6T. 

Sarcasm....? 

General question - was the Mitubishi Cordia turbo ever release in the UK? Maybe called something else there, it looked like this:

Cordia-Turbo-with-FMIC-Kit.jpg.4c787603dbde452d7724382a1cfc605d.jpg

An early (for us here at least) front drive turbo, had unbeleivably  Insane torque steer and one of the scariest cars I've been a passenger in.

Except for a Cortina I was in once.  Did you get the 6 cylinder Cortina there?  Ford here released one which they'd shoe-horned their  4.1 litre inline 6 out of the Falcon into. Weighed a  ton up front and was also very scary to be a passenger in.

These were the sorts of cars 'P-platers' (someone here who has just got their license) were buying second hand in the early 80'a cos they were unloved and therefore a big motor for not much money

. We lost a lot of 18 year olds because of that,  for instance in my school, the year below me lost 7 out of 40 something students to car accidents, All single vehicle car into tree/ power pole etc incidents.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If i misread your post monkeys, apologies, I'm in deference. I'm in no position to pontificate on motor vehicles. I was merely attempting to point out that you've been actively vehement in your criticism of Aus policy wrt climate change and wondered if you thought owning a (or many) sodding geet V8s was somehow conflictive to that view?

C6T. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

If i misread your post monkeys, apologies, I'm in deference. I'm in no position to pontificate on motor vehicles. I was merely attempting to point out that you've been actively vehement in your criticism of Aus policy wrt climate change and wondered if you thought owning a (or many) sodding geet V8s was somehow conflictive to that view?

C6T. 

No worries - My sarcasm comment was being sarcastic!

In defence of my V8   Its actually part of my own cunning plan for  saving the planet:  I only do 1500 - 2000km a year in it so  I'm  keeping it out of the hands of someone who might drive it heaps and make  global warming worse.

My daily driving is done in  a 2 litre turbo-diesel, which while very economical  and therefore boring arguably has its own set of environmental issues.. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sarcasm....? 

General question - was the Mitubishi Cordia turbo ever release in the UK? Maybe called something else there, it looked like this:

Cordia-Turbo-with-FMIC-Kit.jpg.4c787603dbde452d7724382a1cfc605d.jpg

An early (for us here at least) front drive turbo, had unbeleivably  Insane torque steer and one of the scariest cars I've been a passenger in.

Except for a Cortina I was in once.  Did you get the 6 cylinder Cortina there?  Ford here released one which they'd shoe-horned their  4.1 litre inline 6 out of the Falcon into. Weighed a  ton up front and was also very scary to be a passenger in.

These were the sorts of cars 'P-platers' (someone here who has just got their license) were buying second hand in the early 80'a cos they were unloved and therefore a big motor for not much money

. We lost a lot of 18 year olds because of that,  for instance in my school, the year below me lost 7 out of 40 something students to car accidents, All single vehicle car into tree/ power pole etc incidents.

We had the V6 2.3L Cologne engine in the top Cortinas over here, luckily a LOT lighter than the Falcon 6iL.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

No worries - My sarcasm comment was being sarcastic!

In defence of my V8   Its actually part of my own cunning plan for  saving the planet:  I only do 1500 - 2000km a year in it so  I'm  keeping it out of the hands of someone who might drive it heaps and make  global warming worse.

My daily driving is done in  a 2 litre turbo-diesel, which while very economical  and therefore boring arguably has its own set of environmental issues.. 

It is something often lost that emissions from cars in absolute terms are much more a function of distance driven than fuel economy. Something that can be quite annoying.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Changed the headlights on the cooper today, xenon lights with LED side lights and halo rings (when I wire them up to a continuous feed)

234A618C-636E-4FB5-B08F-FB23394BCE73.jpg

20E9FD00-A357-425C-9CCE-0D7D46E5B7EF.jpg

got a full stainless exhaust to go on later in the month too, I’ve already got a stainless system on it but it’s a budget system, the one I got is a Complete milltek system, Used eBay bargain at £250, new it cost £550 so more than happy with that 

as well as that I’ve got a 15% pulley to fit in place of the 11% one and a set of uprated injectors, possibly a sport manifold and cat too, with a proper map tune it should put out around 240 bhp (and that’s where I stop engine wise I recon!)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2020 at 19:39, monkeysarefun said:

Sarcasm....? 

General question - was the Mitubishi Cordia turbo ever release in the UK? Maybe called something else there,

I think our nearest equivalent was the Starion:-

Starion_2.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I always had a soft spot for the Subaru SVX, it was a bit of a Q car as it was so rare that very few knew what it was. And it showed that when pushed Subaru can make very stylish cars as opposed to almost challenging people to buy their cars despite the looks.... I used to drive Subaru Legacy wagons and I still say they're the best built cars I have ever driven. The interior design and touch point quality may have lagged euro rivals but they were bomb proof and the quality of construction and reliability impeccable. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I always had a soft spot for the Subaru SVX, it was a bit of a Q car as it was so rare that very few knew what it was. And it showed that when pushed Subaru can make very stylish cars as opposed to almost challenging people to buy their cars despite the looks.... I used to drive Subaru Legacy wagons and I still say they're the best built cars I have ever driven. The interior design and touch point quality may have lagged euro rivals but they were bomb proof and the quality of construction and reliability impeccable. 

As you say though, only a face a mother could love :bo_mini:

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2020 at 19:12, monkeysarefun said:

Took the ute for its annual roadworthiness check yesterday. I know I haven't driven it much (its a 2010 model with 31000km on the clock)  but I didn't realise how little until the bloke told me that the front tires (the originals) needed changing due to weather cracking from under use (and sitting in the Aust sun for 10 years...).

Thats my dad - not me. He's about to make standard old person observations after checking the car out - stuff about miles to the gallon  and so on. Its a 6 litre V8,  I've never even bothered checking the fuel consumption!

IMAG0689cropped.jpg.6ed84517e22926486ef2233638e630b4.jpg

Yesterday GM announced they are killing off the Holden brand as part of their retreat from righthand drive markets. Tis a very sad day for Australia and a long way away from the glory days of the '70's and early '80's when you drove a V8 Ford or a V8 Holden or you had no luck with the ladies.

It's more than withdrawing from RHD markets, GM basically pulled out of Europe when they sold the Opel/Vauxhall business. The irony of that was that after decades of rather unimpressive products the final phase of GM Europe saw some very good cars I thought. Ford are also a shadow of what they once were over here. The Fiesta and Focus still sell well (and are great cars) but beyond that it is a lot less rosey and for years the once mighty Mondeo (heir to the ubiquitous Cortina and Sierra) has been an alternative niche choice. Ford seem to have been caught between more premium rivals which are no more expensive to drive if financed or leased and between better value Korean brands which have a better image for customer service,  warranty etc. However the squeezed centre argument can't be the only reason as brands like Toyota are also caught between more premium and more value oriented rivals and still seem to be doing OK.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It's more than withdrawing from RHD markets, GM basically pulled out of Europe when they sold the Opel/Vauxhall business. The irony of that was that after decades of rather unimpressive products the final phase of GM Europe saw some very good cars I thought. Ford are also a shadow of what they once were over here. The Fiesta and Focus still sell well (and are great cars) but beyond that it is a lot less rosey and for years the once mighty Mondeo (heir to the ubiquitous Cortina and Sierra) has been an alternative niche choice. Ford seem to have been caught between more premium rivals which are no more expensive to drive if financed or leased and between better value Korean brands which have a better image for customer service,  warranty etc. However the squeezed centre argument can't be the only reason as brands like Toyota are also caught between more premium and more value oriented rivals and still seem to be doing OK.

To be honest GM are now dead here.

Peugeot Corsa 208

I expect the rest will join it soon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The only GM Europe cars I ever really liked were the Opel Monza and Mantra coupes, although the 1990's Opel (and Vauxhall) Omega was a nice car, if a bit pricey. The other one I liked was the Ampera badge version of the Chevrolet Volt we got.