The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold

no the wires are ok in the normal position, one weird thing is the steering wheel controls have transposed for some reason, what was the volume is now the tune buttons and vice versa, not an issue as they are on the rear of the wheel anyway out of view and unlabelled, just need to get used to pushing the right one

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, big jim said:

no the wires are ok in the normal position, one weird thing is the steering wheel controls have transposed for some reason, what was the volume is now the tune buttons and vice versa, not an issue as they are on the rear of the wheel anyway out of view and unlabelled, just need to get used to pushing the right one

Ha!

"Didn't you see me indicate? This car is new and my windscreen wipers were on - for no discernable reason." 

Dad had that between two of his Reliant three wheelers. And I've been told of others, usually a change of manufacturers rather than model.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

there seems to be a never ending cycle of "hand in pocket" with my mini's!

the red convertible had its MOT last month which cost me £250 to get through, new handbrake cable, brake wear sensors and trackrod end, so that is running lovely then this morning driving back from toton the gearbox went on the cooper, i suspect its been hooky for a while as the clutch has always been heavy on it compared to the convertible but last nigth after i gave it the beans away from a roundabout it started to whine and i struggled to get it to go into 4th and 2nd gear while decellerating

took it to my chosen garage this morning who tell me the selector may have worked loose (or something) you can hear it whine and rattle when stationary but when you put the clutch down it stops, it still has a good bite on the clutch but i noticed last night that at the top end of the rev range it was also slipping slightly, ive had a couple of quotes for reconditioning the existing box, bearings etc and new clutch at £700ish with 2 year unlimited mileage warantee from a place in cannock who can do tomorrow and have it back wednesday or i can get my garage to do it with an unrefurbished box off ebay which is £200 with a 3 month warantee and about £350 labour plus a £60ish clutch kit with him doing it as and when they can, i really cant decide which to go for, save money and take the chance on buying an untested box which or spend a bit more but reuse the existing box and have a warantee? (my heart is telling me to go for the more expensive option)

time to dust off the convertible!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The expensive option isn't much more, though how much do you know about the firm doing it?  Sounds a bit quick to me, or do they swap the box for one off the shelf?

I recall the "Heathrow Engine Centre" (always advertised in the Exchange and Mart), flogging "reconditioned" engines.  Basically scrapyard jobs with a coat of paint.  The warranty had so many conditions it was nigh on impossible to claim from, and of course didn't cover labour for engine in and out.  They were found out, eventually.

Incidentally, someone at work had a relation that had a gearbox properly refurbished (diy remove & refit), only for it to trash itself shortly after refitting.  They were under the impression that it would come back with oil already in it, and neglected to read the warning labels attached & warning notice on the receipt...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s a place in Cannock called A1 clutches (yes I know it’s sometimes not the best thing to choose A1 or Aaron Aardvark) Had a look at the on line reviews and they seem favourable

they are going to take the old box out and renew the bearings etc rather than fit a recon box (unless it’s completely knackered of course) and renew the clutch while it’s out, I know of a couple of extra bits need doing, CV boot and lower engine mount so I’ll see if they pick up on those while it’s there

they said it will take a couple of days to do 

as I’ve got to use the convertible I finally got round to changing the wheels over (again!) 2 of the white wheels had very slow punctures as the edge of the rims were so scabby so I’ve put a set of cooper wheels in it (which I think look better!)

C368495D-E207-49C4-A4AC-F54BF474A42D.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve ended up taking the cooper s to a mechanic on one of the mini forums I frequent who is going to put a recon box and new clutch in rather than mess about repairing the existing one

As he does them all the time he’s not messing about and is going to do it by taking the engine out at the same time and give it a look over and degrease etc, fit new engine mount bushes and replace the split CV boot, oh and he’s also going to put me a fast road cam in it too! 

all the above for less than the cost I was quoted to repair my existing box and replace the clutch 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had an update about the cooper, long and short if it, no oil in the gearbox!

the guy has drained it and should have got 1.6L of oil out and he barely got 0.2 out of it, the failure was basically the box overheating very quickly under load 

engine is coming out tomorrow and new gearbox being picked up on Friday, he said other than the obvious gearbox problem there is very little else wrong with the car for its age and mileage 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve had an update about the cooper, long and short if it, no oil in the gearbox!

the guy has drained it and should have got 1.6L of oil out and he barely got 0.2 out of it, the failure was basically the box overheating very quickly under load 

engine is coming out tomorrow and new gearbox being picked up on Friday, he said other than the obvious gearbox problem there is very little else wrong with the car for its age and mileage 

I had that many years ago with a maestro EFi , even though the oil level had been checked by me on a previous service is dissapeared but I never noticed a leak or anything.

Must be a feature of cowley built cars

3 minutes ago, russ p said:

I had that many years ago with a maestro EFi , even though the oil level had been checked by me on a previous service is dissapeared but I never noticed a leak or anything.

Must be a feature of cowley built cars

And yet neither gearbox was built at Cowley. The Maestro be a Honda box probably built at Longbridge Power train while the Mini one would have been built at hams hall.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Chris M said:

And yet neither gearbox was built at Cowley. The Maestro be a Honda box probably built at Longbridge Power train while the Mini one would have been built at hams hall.

If I t’s any help it’s a getrag 6 speed box, the other type they used was ‘midland’ which were prone to failure

Edited by big jim
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the clutch may be beyond repair!

4AB82539-BAF5-435D-9EA4-78DB6CD0FC6D.jpg

oily bell housing 

D2CB9D42-F347-40DF-88FD-921802C6085D.jpg

and most annoying of all, after an unplanned spend on a new radiator, heater matrix and system flush and refill, this is the heat exchanger, all gunged up!

A4AA83FD-E374-4D1C-98FF-0694524FF44F.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Shiny recon gearbox bellhousing 

D2A4EDEB-CA49-4D47-91D7-954CD28347BC.jpg

clutch in place ready to be put back together once a few other little bits and bobs arrive tomorrow 

5952FE0A-AB1C-4270-9A8C-8AFF4F6F6459.jpg

the guy is putting the fast road cam in tomorrow weather dependent then it won’t be far off getting back 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

Where would a 16 year old car be best talked about, here or classics?

I think this thread was started to provide a legit area for discussion of cars less than 30 years old, which some of us felt didn't sit well in the "old cars" thread.