The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dear Points of View

AY Mod

• Administrators

Please advise the BBC News department these stories, in any rational mind, cannot be classed as 'news'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48280412 - he's not a 'hero', he's just a bit of a plonker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48220487 - STFU and feed the ducks rather than seek your 15 seconds of fame. It was even on our regional news.

It's not just a Notts thing but it's an unfortunate coincidence a few days apart.

Is it work experience week?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

It's worse than you think mate. The crust thing made the national breakfast news and spawned a long conversation between the wally and the bimbo as to their respective views on crusts.... They even dragged the sports bimbo into the debate.

Edited by colin penfold
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

In the internet age what passes as "news" is quite mindboggling. It seems to be a result (at least in the US) of the drastic cuts to the size of newsrooms across the country. We have vastly fewer professional journalists and vastly more online opinion editors.

Repackaged social media stories bulk up the catalogue of  'human interest' stories. There always were the puff pieces assigned to junior reporters but they now seem to constitute a much larger volume of what is presented as news.

And then there are the stories about people who are famous for trying to be famous online. CNN ran a story this week about a "feud" between a pair of Instagram "influencers". Besides their "followers" I can't imagine who would be interested.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Our regional news seem very keen on arrivals at Portsmouth and Southampton, biggest cruise liner, new aircraft carrier, biggest container ship etc etc.

living in Didcot this is highly relevant to my daily life....

• Funny 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

Our regional news seem very keen on arrivals at Portsmouth and Southampton, biggest cruise liner, new aircraft carrier, biggest container ship etc etc.

My wife may sympathise, I'll happily sit on Shipfinder telling her where every boat is going when we're at the coast. I must go and feed the pigeons in the park now.

• Funny 12

10 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

You remind me of a headline news item on BBC Wales in the early 1980s which made me smile. 

They proudly announced that the day was special because the biggest aircraft ever to land at Swansea airport had arrived earlier that afternoon, and their cameras had been there to witness it. 

The plane turned out to be a Viscount.  Must have been a slow news day. 

• Like 4

In what universe (apparently ours!!) can you not make a sandwich with two crusts.

<Engage Grumpy old man mode>

When I was a kid, if I said I wasn't going to eat what was provided for me I'd get a swift clip round the ears, PLUS, an explanation of starving kids in <insert third world nation here>

Take their bloody mobiles away from them and tell them they should be grateful they're not cleaning chimneys! :D

<GOM mode off>

Additionally, neither constitutes "news", then again, seems everywhere it's news is someone just farts, so long as someone else records it and sends it in! Good Grief :jester::O:scared::P

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

BBC isn't it? Seems they need to justify having too many news outlets and far too many staff by having loads of no news stories. The website has gone terrible recently. 

Other news outlets are just as bad.  Local newspapers are worse. I'm wondering if it's because of all the students doing Media Studies rather than the journalists learning the trade like they used to do. Rather than looking for proper stories they are scouring the internet for rubbish.

That bread story was totally fake. There was one a while ago about someone getting a potato in a bag of crisps. I know that potatoes like that don't go anywhere near crisps as they are processed before cooking. Besides you would notice it before buying if your bag of Walkers had a whole uncooked potato in it.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, big jim said:

I’d be so chuffed if I opened up a loaf and it was all crusts, thats the best part! 

Oh yes.

Extra especially tasty sandwich is two crusts, and if it's got a nice big dollop of crunchy peanut butter between em, heaven.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

There was one a while ago about someone getting a potato in a bag of crisps. I know that potatoes like that don't go anywhere near crisps as they are processed before cooking. Besides you would notice it before buying if your bag of Walkers had a whole uncooked potato in it.

Jason

Jason/Sirs,

I must respectfully disagree with this last statement.

AT LEAST, if half the zombies walking around the grocery stores are anywhere near as unengaged as they are here (mid-west US), they barely look up from their phones to check they're in the right STORE, let alone managing to spot some discrepancy between what they were selecting (5 oz pack crisps) and what they put in the cart (25lb bag of cat litter). Spotting a spud in the crisp bag is WAY above their pay grade and intellect level for sure :jester:

Yours,

No longer Astonished in Minnesota...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Oh yes.

Extra especially tasty sandwich is two crusts, and if it's got a nice big dollop of crunchy peanut butter between em, heaven.

Mike.

When I was a boy back in the 1950s in the American children's programmes  they were always eating that stuff so I persuaded my mother to buy a jar.

The jar was never finished - absolutely 'orrible stuff - the work of the Devil.

I thought you might all like to know that!

Dave

Edited by Danemouth
Punctuation
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

You remind me of a headline news item on BBC Wales in the early 1980s which made me smile. 

They proudly announced that the day was special because the biggest aircraft ever to land at Swansea airport had arrived earlier that afternoon, and their cameras had been there to witness it. 

Well, it was bigger than the Dakotas and Dragon Rapides that worked out of there with Dan-Air and Cambrian Airways...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

When I was a boy back in the 1950s in the American children's programmes  they were always eating that stuff so I persuaded my mother to buy a jar.

The jar was never finished - absolutely 'orrible stuff - the work of the Devil.

I thought you might all like to know that!

Dave

I blame my father for my addiction. During world war 2 he was helping to re-landscape some part of France and came across an American soldier with a humungous tin of the stuff, a trade for dad's cigarette ration ensued and the male part of the family have never looked back!

Mike.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

That must have been about the time I walked through a Lockheed Galaxy at the old Speke Airport. :)

I even remember the American Air Force bloke saying that the plane was longer than the length the Wright Brothers plane flew. That impressed me at the time.

Jason

• Like 2

Walking through a Galaxy seems to have been a regular event. 

I walked through one at a Mildenhall Open Day.  I also walked underneath a Blackbird at the same event; but when I came back past it about 20 minutes later it had been cordoned off. Maybe someone had panicked when seeing the number of "enthusiasts" taking lots of close-up photos. 

(Don't you just love thread drift?). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I blame my father for my addiction. During world war 2 he was helping to re-landscape some part of France and came across an American soldier with a humungous tin of the stuff, a trade for dad's cigarette ration ensued and the male part of the family have never looked back!

Mike.

The American stuff is awful. too much sugar, salt, palm oil. etc.

Meridian is IMHO the best. 100% roast peanuts, nowt else.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

But where would The News Quiz or Have I Got News for You be without such stories?  There must come a time when Brexit & Trump aren't funny anymore.

What annoys me is so-called "Celebrity" gossip dressed up as "News".  I would rather read about a loaf full of crusts, than which former Big Brother contestant is bonking which former member of long-forgotten Boy Band.

PS  I love peanut butter....

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6