GWR Branch With Heavy(ish) freight?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

No drawing yet, but I have a roughly 4 x 12 foot section where I can make an "L" shaped shelf about 18" wide. That's a pretty good amount of space for a typical terminus, I think, in 4mm, though I have debated doing 2mm; quite a lot of landscaping and all would be possible. 

• RMweb Gold

This is not a million miles away sizewise from my layout, Cwmdimbath , a location not a million miles away from the ‘Llantrisant valleys’ in a time period not a million miles away from 1952.  The saga of this layout’s continuing development can be found as ‘South Wales in the 1950s’ over on Layout topics, but you’ve probably got a life...

If not, and my feeble scribblings and crude modelling are any help to you, I’d be delighted!  I chose to model my colliery offstage, but with a connection    demanding that both loaded and empties have to be run around and the vans shunted.  This saves the length required for a colliery extension further up the valley, almost the default in South Wales.   

The track ace plan is not rocket science, a passenger terminus with a run around, ‘inspired by’ Abergwynfi, but with the addition of a goods platform and a kickback to light industry.  If is deceptively difficult to shunt efficiently in real time and clear the platform road for timetabled traffic; this means that I am unlikely to get tired of operating it within the 20 years (if I’m lucky) I have before I’ve gone too gaga for it to matter...

It is, as the above suggests, intended to be my final layout, and aside from that grim thought, I am thoroughly enjoying it; if you get anything like the amount of pleasure out of yours as this is continuing to give me, you’ll be very satisfied with it!

• Like 1