RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, SteveCole said:

where's my medal?!

It was on the Christmas tree; you ate it.

Not as many seagulls around this morning.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just swapped from the print subscription to rmweb gold, works out  about £1 a quarter more so seems like good value to me

I’ve never watched any of the DVDs attached to the front of the mag but I’m hoping with the digital edition and my projector and iPhone video lead I will watch them in the man cave via one of the viewing platforms provided 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi...

Just to say, whatever everyone's opinions are on the development of a premium site (which most certainly can and should be allowed to be freely expressed within the normal boundaries of common sense and civility).....there are bound to be strong views either way...but a sense of balance required....reading some some of the comments makes me think.....it's a bit of a 'first world problem' eh....?

Hats off and thanks to the backroom and admin guys for building it, which must have been a daunting task to think through and make 'live'.....

I think for me it would be the access to the back stock of magazines that would prove useful.... I still do love to receive  'a hard copy'....this better to thumb through as I do sometime sitting alone, having a pub meal rather than reading the pub menu all evening....!

Only dis-advantage would be seemingly paying twice for the mag...but as I say having the back catalogue available may be very useful...?

Well done to the team for launching this new venture...wish it well.....

Regards always

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this is a good idea, particularly for the classifieds and people are right, this is just a better link between the web and the magazine. Andy is to be congratulated for all the work that's gone into it. By all means ask questions but when left wing based class criticisms start to show themselves on here (you know who you are) then really I give up! It's a model railway forum at the end of the day.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Any initiative to get money must be good - it prolongs the service we all enjoy for free, it's not mandatory to become a goldie.

I'm with StationMaster in that I don't read magazines any more, nor do I go to shows, I don't even use PMs too much but the classified would be useful to get rid of my N gauge collection and some books I have got (Mrs' orders) to clear to make some room on my shelves. It also seems a good way to support the forum while I can, who knows whats around the corner and I may become grateful for the free membership offered, which is very good considering it's free.

As I'm out of the country for my (1 year late) honeymoon from this weekend I'll "go gold" when I return - hopefully the online goldification will be working then - if not then I guess I'll have to use a phone (oh no .....)

As Don Henley once said "A voice in my head said don't look back, you can never look back" - the old forum was dead technology wise and needed to move on, I'm sure those with a continuing gripe would have been the first to complain if the forum had been hacked.

Try and work with it, lift your head up from the sand and read the FAQ, there's plenty of tips which make it very close to the old forum (depending on your use) and we all get used to new things, maybe a radical change of your way of using the forum would actually make it better for you ?  I hated Windows 8 with it's new user interface and swore I'd never use it, now I happily use Windows 10 for both work and home,  is it perfect for me ? - no,  does it work ? - yes. The same can be said of my use of RMweb, it's not 100% (for me) but it's near enough and I take it as it is - its FREE. (and far better than most (all imho) of the alternatives)

Yes, my session occasionally hangs, but it's for a small number of seconds, not the end of the world - there's a huge difference between double clicking a notepad icon (and getting an instant response) and a multi user, Internet hosted, multimedia database giving quick responses, these things take time to tune and I'm sure Andy will be working hard behind the scenes to resolve things. Give the guy a break.

Repeat after me

"I do not have to upgrade to Gold, I will still be able to use the forum as I currently do"

"I do not have to upgrade to Gold, I will still be able to use the forum as I currently do"

:mellow:

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Will the Classified section be purely for Gold members to advertise or will there be commercial adverts too?

The original Classifieds were great; modellers buying and selling. 

But for me, I stopped looking when it became swamped with commercial offerings.

• Agree 5

• Administrators
1 minute ago, wirey33 said:

Will the Classified section be purely for Gold members to advertise or will there be commercial adverts too?

Principally for Gold Members although I am looking at options for trade sales, ideal for Smaller Suppliers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Principally for Gold Members although I am looking at options for trade sales, ideal for Smaller Suppliers.

But anyone can see the ads and make a purchase, isn't that the case, please Andy?

• RMweb Gold

I made the "call" last night.

I joined RMweb when It was first created (albeit originally under a location-related username) and agree completely with what Olddudders has mentioned above.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

But anyone can see the ads and make a purchase, isn't that the case, please Andy?

That's correct, there was a problem for 45 mins when we launched it but all seems to be working now. Non-members can see the ads too. When you create an ad you can select how the potential buyer contacts you, obviously if it's a PM only then the buyer would have to be signed in but you can elect to receive emails or give a 'phone number if you wish.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 4railsman said:

Guess that's why no GOLD MEMBER logo/medallion appears on the posts of Phil Parker, Steve Cole and Andy Y ~ they haven't bought into it.

1704188790_Themanagement.jpg.a1317d9af44d6e6fcccf1a7d9ff768bd.jpg

They are The Management.

They don't need no medallions.

They don't want no trouble, so don't mess with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

I made the "call" last night.

I joined RMweb when It was first created (albeit originally under a location-related username) and agree completely with what Olddudders has mentioned above.

Completely agree with what you and Ian Dudders have said. I joined more as a gesture of support for Andy than anything else. I've been with RMWeb almost since the very start and have derived incalculable pleasure and usefulness from it.

But I might also have some bits and pieces to sell (maybe including another Hattons/DJM 14XX chassis, who knows?).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Completely agree with what you and Ian Dudders have said. I joined more as a gesture of support for Andy than anything else. I've been with RMWeb almost since the very start and have derived incalculable pleasure and usefulness from it.

But I might also have some bits and pieces to sell (maybe including another Hattons/DJM 14XX chassis, who knows?).

And really that says it all very nicely.Been “on here “ for a decade or more.Don’t feel remotely qualified as a “modeller” as worthy of gilded status but out of a kind of moral obligation as an old lag receiving a medal for long service and good conduct. (....well,maybe ).If this display of piety offends,I apologise but what my namesake has just posted strikes a chord.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just signed up. I was initially a bit skeptical but after reflecting on it, and thinking of all the value I get from RMweb, and the friends I've made via the forum, directly or indirectly, in 13 odd years (some of them very odd) it was a no-brainer. I also disposed of a large collection of BRMs last year, and will appreciate access to the digital archive as I was well aware that I was throwing out some very good stuff, but I just didn't have room.

I've also tended to be one of the serial whingers whenever there's a change to the forum design, and yet I've stuck around, so this time I've vowed not to add to the noise with any moaning, as I'm sure I'll get used to it all eventually - just in time for another change!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi....

Have joined the 'pod'.....

sure that it'll be worthwhile....mainly joined for the back issues access to magazines....it'll be a journey...first step will be activating the membership later this evening....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Premium

Well RMweb has always been a great resource .   As far as I can see people who use RMweb aren't losing anything in this initiative , but for an additional sum of money folks can enjoy the archive of BRM, post increased sizes of pictures and offer items for sale in classifieds . None of that really bothers me , so I guess I just roll on as before .   If folks signing up want some sort of medal (why am I thinking Dastardly and Mutley here?) fair enough .  I really can't see why folks are getting steamed up .  And as a non gold member actually I can see the classifieds and I believe buy them, so that's an improvement for me .

As long as being Gold doesn't go to peoples heads .   Oh dear too late  ^^^

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Corbs said:

heheheheHAhehahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHAHAHAHAHAHHOOHOOHOOMUHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

COWER BEFORE ME, ORDINARY CITIZENS, FOR I HAVE ACHIEVED GOLDNESS.

BASK IN THE REFLECTED GLORY OF MY GILDED GLOW. DANCE, DANCE FOR ME, ME, THE GLORIOUS GOLDEN CORBS, YOUR LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS, YOUR BRINGER OF BODGERY, YOUR DELIVERANCE FROM ACCURACY.

SUBMIT YOURSELVES UNTO MY RULE AND I SHALL GIVE YOU A BIT OF GOLD OR MAYBE A HIGH FIVE.

Wait till Boris gets here...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

In introducing this service, those clever software boffins seem to have blackballed anyone who uses Firefox.

Nothing to do with Gold (although there's been a security patch release applies to the software suite this morning), I have sent a reply to your message to say that another users has reported similar problems with FF which started this morning. I have tested it with FF 66.0 at this end and can't replicate the issue to diagnose further.