New to US and Canadian Ho

Hi 

I'm flirting with the idea of possibly doing a US / Canadian layout. Recent visits to both countries have peaked my interest and I like the idea of something a bit different in the UK.

I'm like a moth and attracted to colourful and new shiny things so would have be modern for me. 

Are there any resources for getting up to speed as I am getting frustrated with Google searches.  Also, what about any groups in the SW where I could visit you see N American locos in action and are there any other UK or indeed US forums. 

Cheers

Might be worth a look at the freemo meets in your area, there's the Western Union freemo group based around Plymouth, and the RS Tower group in the Exeter area.

They should be able to answer any questions you have.

Don't have any contact details, but i'm sure someone will be along with them.

Ray

P.s next meet is at Christow 17th May, Teign valley community hall

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi 

I'm flirting with the idea of possibly doing a US / Canadian layout. Recent visits to both countries have peaked my interest and I like the idea of something a bit different in the UK.

I'm like a moth and attracted to colourful and new shiny things so would have be modern for me. 

Are there any resources for getting up to speed as I am getting frustrated with Google searches.  Also, what about any groups in the SW where I could visit you see N American locos in action and are there any other UK or indeed US forums. 

Cheers

If you are interested in the Freemo meet in May you do need to pre arrange this. PM me if you do wish to visit and I can put you in contact with the organisers just incase they dont see this thread.

Its a good meet that we have bene attending for three years now and will be there with our layout which has been modified to work with the module standards.

Ian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roundhouse said:

If you are interested in the Freemo meet in May you do need to pre arrange this. PM me if you do wish to visit and I can put you in contact with the organisers just incase they dont see this thread.

Its a good meet that we have bene attending for three years now and will be there with our layout which has been modified to work with the module standards.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I spotted it. :)

Plan attached for Christow's meet in May, it's basically one very large HO modular layout built from modules built by folk from all over the place, which we will assemble and run as a railroad for the weekend.

As Ian says, please contact me if you want to attend, you must pre-book, but you don't have to build a module or bring stock etc to come and take part.

There is also a Plymouth HO based group which meets and runs one Saturday every month, if you're interested i'm happy to put you in contact.

Christow2019 v2.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the informative responses.  I will take a look at the links provided to further gauge my interest.

But wow, what a flipping fantastic idea to have so many layouts joined up such as you are suggesting...  I definitely think attending may be the way forward for me, as I am somewhat torn as to whether to move away from UK or not.  There loosk like there are a few good options to go along and have a look and Christow is only a few miles from where I live.

Cheers

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:14, Glorious NSE said:

Thanks Ian, I spotted it. :)

Plan attached for Christow's meet in May, it's basically one very large HO modular layout built from modules built by folk from all over the place, which we will assemble and run as a railroad for the weekend.

As Ian says, please contact me if you want to attend, you must pre-book, but you don't have to build a module or bring stock etc to come and take part.

There is also a Plymouth HO based group which meets and runs one Saturday every month, if you're interested i'm happy to put you in contact.

Is it possible to come along and see the group then please?  I am keen to get involved in US modelling and this would be a great way of seeing what others are doing and how they go about it, discussing it as well, likely to be more modern for me, after a weekend of trawling the net, definitely love the sheer scale of them as with American trucks.  Let me know if there is anything I need to do. Thanks for the option of asking to be invited as well.

Cheers

• Like 1