Penlan - LNWR in South Wales, 1910 - EM gauge

Penlan

The average 12kg is also interesting!

I used the bathroom scales  :sungum: 

I also use them to check the towbar weight of my trailer when moving my Austin 7 (75kgs)

I was interested in what I (and who ever was helping) had to lift up & down stairs and at exhibitions, so basically 2 boards together weigh 25kgs.

When John Degg & Bill Wood built the boards back in 1989, longevity and stability was the criteria,

and that has been proven, oh and being kept in a reasonable domestic atmosphere, not damp.

• 11 months later...

It's great to see this layout still functioning well and looking as good as ever. John and Bill first exhibited it as Hartwell at the Wolverhampton show more years ago than I care to admit, and it was a cracker. Scenically superb and with excellent running stock, it stood out as a prime example of what a period layout should be.

Good to see it in its present form too.

Terry D

And it's still running, though it's now being made into a roundy-roundy.
The new (through running) fiddle yard is on the opposite side of the room,

The layout is now operated from the front, so the yard is behind the operator.
The viaduct end will remain the same up to the (new - Penlan) overbridge, then curve round to a through fiddle yard.
The other end, where it goes into a single track, is being altered to give a transition curve down to 42" radius to meet the fiddle yard at the back.
The new Peco/EMGS points will be used in the fiddle yard,

plus a couple of hand made curved points at either end as is the tracks enter the fiddle area.
I've got to get on and do it as age seems to be taking over rapidly.
Then I can sit in the middle and just watch the train(s) go by.
Hartwell was started in 1989, first exhibited in 1991, if I recall correctly. 
The layouts survival is testament to John & Bill's craftsmanship.
30th anniversary coming up soon.

Archived