The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

Officials for the final, quiet build up by both teams so far, could be a brutal contest

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Assistant referees: Luke Pearce & Christophe Ridley

TMO: Tom Foley

Time Keeper: Eric Bullion

Citing Commissioner: Chris Catling‌

20 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Officials for the final, quiet build up by both teams so far, could be a brutal contest

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Assistant referees: Luke Pearce & Christophe Ridley

TMO: Tom Foley

Time Keeper: Eric Bullion

Citing Commissioner: Chris Catling‌

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7x7sSz_Vsi8&feature=share

It is not as though Wayne Barnes hasn’t refereed a final before and of course Owen Farrell can be a somewhat ‘chatty’!

Charlie

Two really strong sides for the Premiership playoff final, just feel that Leicester have the stronger bench and provided they are not chasing the game, could run away with it in the last quarter. Should be a fascinating match with so many key head to head match ups, not least in the front rows and at half backs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done Tigers, fully deserved after being the best team all season.

What a brilliant finish to the match and a lovely touch to see Tom Youngs collecting the trophy with Ellis Genge!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

So, the team that finished second in the table came… er… second and the team that finished top of the premiership actually won the premiership. It would have been a travesty of justice had it been any other way.

We all know why they have the playoffs but it just doesn’t seem right to me.  

Having said that I enjoyed the games, especially today’s thrilling encounter and am so pleased that it turned out well for our resident tigers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BoD said:

So, the team that finished second in the table came… er… second and the team that finished top of the premiership actually won the premiership.

And in other news, in Super Rugby Pacific...

(spoiler alert)

... the opposite happened, with the first-placed team choking and the second-placed keeping their grip on the throat throughout the match, which was played in pouring rain as is the right and proper way...

(real spoiler alert)

...Blues 7 Crusaders 21.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Crusaders are my second team as far support goes, had one of their shirts for years, but it wore out. So a double celebration.

Since you are on a roll, are you supporting England or the Barbarians today?  😀

Edited by teaky
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, teaky said:

Since you are on a roll, are you supporting England or the Barbarians today?  😀

Neither really, Jones has killed off my interest in the England team, he clearly has a plan to get his own back on us for winning in 2003 and the Barbarians are not the brand they used to be, the ethos has changed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2022 at 19:09, tigerburnie said:

. Hats off to Steve Borthwick and his team, just hope England don't try to pinch them from us for a bit.

I could see there being a vacancy before very long, at this rate. England coaches inevitably become "played out" as they reach the limits of the available player pool, and Jones has been exploring those regions for some time now. 

The Prem has undermined the national side in the same way that their namesake have destroyed the round-ball game. The England rugby team can't think when it matters and can't score tries when they have the chance.

Jones has lasted longer than most because he can squeeze more out of players than most, for a while at least and has more shrewd game-plans up his sleeve than most, but he is visibly running on empty now. 

My best guess is that he will survive a 2-1 defeat in the series with a total points difference of 14 or 15, but a 3-0 loss or a really heavy defeat will see him packing his bags. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 hours ago, BoD said:

Feeling rather sorry for Wales…

… and that’s something I never, ever imagined I would hear myself say.

Errrmmm..... that's a no from me..... 

Wales have always played right to the last whistle. I've seen a number of games at Cardiff, won in the last seconds by a dashing final move. Boks beat them at their own game on this occasion, is all. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Saturday 9th July 2022

New Zealand  12-23  IrelandFT

Australia          17-25  EnglandFT

South Africa    12-13  WalesFT

Argentina          6-29   ScotlandFT

When will we ever get a set of away results like that again? 🤔

Edited by grandadbob
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2