The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Tigers never gave up, they fought their way over the try line, Saracens were deemed to have illegally collapsed the maul, so the result was inevitable, even Saracens know they if they break the laws of the game there are consequences.

I’m still trying to work out who, if anybody, from either team, was onside at that maul.

Great result though.  Well done. Is it all down to Borthwick?

On 03/10/2021 at 10:12, tigerburnie said:

The team that score the most points legitimately deserve the victors spoils, that is what the sport is all about, it's not boxing where you get points accumulated during the game for doing well, it's like running, first past the winning line deserve the medal. The game ends when the ref blows the whistle, not at half time, Tigers never gave up, they fought their way over the try line, Saracens were deemed to have illegally collapsed the maul, so the result was inevitable, even Saracens know they if they break the laws of the game there are consequences.

Mmmmm. The NZ - Lions match springs to mind. 18-17 to NZ but Lions scored 5 tries to 6 pens. You can see why try scores have increased in value compared eith penalties!

23 hours ago, BoD said:

I’m still trying to work out who, if anybody, from either team, was onside at that maul.

Great result though.  Well done. Is it all down to Borthwick?

Borthwick and his team seem to have turned the battleship round, long way to go yet though.

• Agree 1

Huge performance by Leicester at Worcester today to remain unbeaten and top of the league, seven tries to nil is the most pleasing part, big game next week when Sale come to Welford Road, a clash of the heavy weight packs, with some real talent and pace behind to go with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Travelling back from Falcons v Bristol.  What a yawn fest. I think I would be being generous if I even said it was because the teams cancelled each other out.

At least the result was the right one.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Japan played Australia this afternoon but I couldn't watch it, which was very frustrating.

The new broadcast deal for Australian rugby signed last November announced, inter alia, that:

"Nine will broadcast every Wallabies Test from 2021 onwards and one Super Rugby AU match each weekend on its free-to-air network".

Apparently this is now not the case. The Japan game was only broadcast on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan.

I have sent some strong feedback to the Nine Network about this. Unless they change their mind and revert to what the original announcement said, then I won't get to see the forthcoming Scotland, England or Wales games either.

Not happy.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Another huge win for Leicester Tigers, next week is the Midlands "Derby" game against Northampton, who also had a good win last night, that'll be another big battle. Leicester Lions also beat Worthing who were top of the league, so a good day for my teams.

• Round of applause 1

On 04/10/2021 at 20:04, 88D said:

Mmmmm. The NZ - Lions match springs to mind. 18-17 to NZ but Lions scored 5 tries to 6 pens. You can see why try scores have increased in value compared eith penalties!

I don't really understand the arithmetic there, unless it dates from the days of 3 point tries? *

*1959, apparently; 4 tries, 1 conversion, 1 kick (I couldn't find if it was a drop goal or penalty, but with the brown ball it was probably a penalty 

Edited by rockershovel

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Japan played Australia this afternoon but I couldn't watch it, which was very frustrating.

The new broadcast deal for Australian rugby signed last November announced, inter alia, that:

"Nine will broadcast every Wallabies Test from 2021 onwards and one Super Rugby AU match each weekend on its free-to-air network".

Apparently this is now not the case. The Japan game was only broadcast on Nine's subscription streaming service Stan.

I have sent some strong feedback to the Nine Network about this. Unless they change their mind and revert to what the original announcement said, then I won't get to see the forthcoming Scotland, England or Wales games either.

Not happy.

I took a general decision not to take subscriptions to watch specific sports. Once you start down that road you will constantly be increasing your subscription as Sky play find-the-lady with whatever you originally wanted. I have enough sons and other interests that I can always keep myself amused. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I don't really understand the arithmetic there, unless it dates from the days of 3 point tries? *

*1959, apparently; 4 tries, 1 conversion, 1 kick (I couldn't find if it was a drop goal or penalty, but with the brown ball it was probably a penalty 

Yes, it was from the three-point days. It was such a travesty of a result from the play that they started to consider changes to the scoring system: this resulted in a four point try before we got to the five pointer. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 88D said:

Yes, it was from the three-point days. It was such a travesty of a result from the play that they started to consider changes to the scoring system: this resulted in a four point try before we got to the five pointer. 

Took a while though - four-point tries didn't come in until about 1971.

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Took a while though - four-point tries didn't come in until about 1971.

Well it was amateur days, the IRFU, or whatever it was called then, must have had a lot of trouble getting their yachts together! In Wales, we wanted the 4 point try as soon as we started scoring them!

• Funny 3