The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

Playoff final day, no attachment to either side, but I guess it would be nice to see a different name on the trophy, but can't quite bring myself to actually support them lol. Good luck to both sides.

The British and Irish Lions was a side I used to follow on tv, somehow it has lost it's charm for me, though I hear the players still like the idea, it seems to have become a cash cow rather than a sporting event. I could have gone to Murrayfield to watch the game for free, but declined the offer, probably watch it on the tv if it's available free to air.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Playoff final day, no attachment to either side, but I guess it would be nice to see a different name on the trophy, but can't quite bring myself to actually support them lol. Good luck to both sides.

The British and Irish Lions was a side I used to follow on tv, somehow it has lost it's charm for me, though I hear the players still like the idea, it seems to have become a cash cow rather than a sporting event. I could have gone to Murrayfield to watch the game for free, but declined the offer, probably watch it on the tv if it's available free to air.

The Lions' tours are still big news in the Southern Hemisphere. After all, they only come round every 12 years each.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Lions' tours are still big news in the Southern Hemisphere. After all, they only come round every 12 years each.

They are a huge money spinner for the home sides rugby unions and have been for decades, just somehow lost it's lustre for me.

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I’m with you on this. I can’t give any loyalty to the Lions. If given the choice of playing for Wales on a summer tour or the Lions, I would prefer the former. But that is very much a theoretical preference!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Luckier than us, we had tickets which were then cancelled.... to add insults to injury #2 son was subsequently canvassed with an offer to subscribe to the members club and enter a ballot to buy tickets. He declined ...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I rather enjoyed today's game. Japan kept up the effort, looked good at times and had a try held up. Good open running rugby with a minimum of penalties, a minimum of pointless kick-tennis, some solid scrummaging and no discipline issues. Not the greatest game I ever saw, but a good advert for the sport. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am home TB and watched the match here.  There is a bit of celebration going on :rolleyes:  At the beginning of the year I thought Quins would be lucky to stay up!  After last week’s result I was wondering how they could follow that. What a brilliant match and a credit to both sides and Rugby Union in general. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 88D said:

I’m with you on this. I can’t give any loyalty to the Lions. If given the choice of playing for Wales on a summer tour or the Lions, I would prefer the former. But that is very much a theoretical preference!

Fair enough - but from down here, given the choice of a Wales (other countries are available) incoming tour or the Lions, I'd prefer the latter!

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Fair enough - but from down here, given the choice of a Wales (other countries are available) incoming tour or the Lions, I'd prefer the latter!

Fair enough on your side of the world, and I’m sure that many people over here would favour that as well. I’m not wanting to disband the Lions  btw ( insert grumpy of your choice here)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Ireland v Japan was very entertaining, I thought. Some new faces in the Ireland side, some well executed tries from both sides and an 8-point finish, which I thought was fair. Japan are showing themselves to be a running side in the South Seas style, with solid scrummaging and a flair for short kicks. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. 

England v USA next week, followed by Canada the next weekend might be entertaining, with what amounts to a "possibles" XV from England seeking to make a mark during the Lions tour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Ireland v Japan was very entertaining, I thought. Some new faces in the Ireland side, some well executed tries from both sides and an 8-point finish, which I thought was fair. Japan are showing themselves to be a running side in the South Seas style, with solid scrummaging and a flair for short kicks. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. 

England v USA next week, followed by Canada the next weekend might be entertaining, with what amounts to a "possibles" XV from England seeking to make a mark during the Lions tour. 

I don’t think the Canada match will be much of a test, if any, for an England fourths! Not sure what you will learn from it.

3 hours ago, 88D said:

I don’t think the Canada match will be much of a test, if any, for an England fourths! Not sure what you will learn from it.

If the USA match has more than a 30 point spread, as Will Greenwood is predicting in his column  then Canada will be a walkover. Eddie Jones has to play these matches, they are in his contract and he has to give the players a suitable pep talk, and present them to the media as suitably important but... yeaahhhhhh...

These matches are not just for the home nations, they are part of the global spread of rugby, no point letting sides into a world cup without testing themselves against tier one nations and there sure as hell is no point sending a 6 Nations first team to play one of these sides. Bringing on young players in their late teens/ early twenties in this environment along with some fringe internationals is good for all concerned. England have now seen some alternative players to the current squad, a lot of which will not be playing in the next World Cup, indeed some may well not make the next 6 nations, this is where people get a chance, these games are not there for public entertainment, they are development games and offer an insight into the evolution of the next generation of players.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

France have currently got a young squad out on their tour of Australia.

Lost the first test through naivete, not kicking the ball out at 80 mins when they were leading.

But won yesterday, also a close match, Star player was full back Melvyn Jaminet who played last season in ProD2 at Perpignan. I think that he is only 19.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Announcement on global trial of new laws: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

Overall, they appear positive.  It remains to be seen how the 50:22 law will affect the game.  It strikes me that it will have a positive effect in drawing away from a rugby league style defensive line but will inevitably lead to more kicking.  Will it reduce the amount of flowing, passing rugby?  Will there be more lineouts and fewer scrums?  Will prop forwards in the old-fashioned mode be replaced even more rapidly by taller players able to jump in the lineout?  Will we see two fullbacks and three centres (or one centre and two wingers)?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, teaky said:

Announcement on global trial of new laws: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

Overall, they appear positive.  It remains to be seen how the 50:22 law will affect the game.  It strikes me that it will have a positive effect in drawing away from a rugby league style defensive line but will inevitably lead to more kicking.  Will it reduce the amount of flowing, passing rugby?  Will there be more lineouts and fewer scrums?  Will prop forwards in the old-fashioned mode be replaced even more rapidly by taller players able to jump in the lineout?  Will we see two fullbacks and three centres (or one centre and two wingers)?

It's been trialled over here for a couple of years, Rob. The main effect as far as I'm concerned has been for the defensive wingers to be further back, if you see what I mean, to cover the kick if it happens. However, it didn't happen much anyway so no real change to my mind. Still too much kicking in general. Folk seem to have forgotten that if you haven't got the ball you can't score.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Regarding the 50/22 law change, I'd tend to be in favour of anything which led the game away from the flat, RL style defensive line - both as a players game, and as a spectator sport. That said, I'd rather think that it required a level of tactical nous and kicking accuracy from the hand, not generally available in the modern game, and certainly not in the Prem. Watch the England side; Ford understands tactical kicking for touch and to runners in open space, Farrel has no understanding and lacks accuracy from the hand,  preferring to simply boot it away. Ford has a distinct tendency not to find touch when he should do so, putting up catches for the opposing winger instead. Consistently successful sides, like NZ do none of these things. There is also a lack of ability among NH sides when it comes to short kicks over the defending line to the winger or centre - a well established tactical among SH sides. So my guess is that the new rule won't have much effect at NH club level and if the clubs don't do it, nor will the Internationsl

Sides

• Like 1
  • Agree 1