The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.  As one or two of you might guess I've had a few injuries in 20 years playing rugby. The worst two being a cartilage tear in the left knee followed a few years later in 1982 by a mangled ACL in the same knee needing a reconstruction.  Over the years this resulted in arthritis and about 10 years ago I needed a total knee replacement. Various other bangs and sprains as well so that knees, hips, ankle, neck and shoulders all give me some aggravation occasionally.  Wouldn't change it for anything though.

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 13/02/2021 at 15:00, BoD said:

I do wish someone would cut the wires on that ‘flying’ camera.

I wished they used it more to show footage of scrums. There’s quite a few props would be shown up for not being straight!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Question for Tigerburnie as he’s a Leicester fan. When zi look at Welford Road on tele, I get the impression that one stand is only half-built (Nottingham Building Society plastered over it) and that the pitch was going to be rotated 90’. Was this the plan, or is it just a weird profile stand?

It's just a weird profile stand, the ground has quite a few anomalies, one being that the entrance is not actually on Welford Road, that runs round the back, it should be Aylestone Road really. Currently they are building a new Hotel, after that I believe a car park, then there's talk of the old "Crumbie" stand being replaced, they were going to increase the grounds capacity, but I think that idea has been shelved for now. Hopefully when fans are able to return, they will get back to the 20k plus crowds again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2021 at 09:45, tigerburnie said:

It's just a weird profile stand, the ground has quite a few anomalies, one being that the entrance is not actually on Welford Road, that runs round the back, it should be Aylestone Road really. Currently they are building a new Hotel, after that I believe a car park, then there's talk of the old "Crumbie" stand being replaced, they were going to increase the grounds capacity, but I think that idea has been shelved for now. Hopefully when fans are able to return, they will get back to the 20k plus crowds again.

It's changed a bit since I last went.  Wasn't there some kind of slag heap for the fans to stand on?

Mind you, Rory Underwood was on the wing that day.  Pure class and tangible feeling of excitement in the crowd when he got the ball.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Surprised that France haven't cried off this weekend after losing 10 of their squad to positive Covid tests, Scotland will not get a better chance to take a victory from this years favourites.

It would be good to see Scotland make a good show and materially affect the Championship. They are looking good this year. 

• Like 1

I fear Jones has picked the wrong people to play Wales, he picked a side to beat Scotland up and that failed, I can see this going badly wrong for England, though if they can keep 15 players on the pitch they might win as Wales have struggled twice against 14 man teams.

I’m with Jonathan Davies on this one. If the player hasn’t established control, and the ball moves forwards, it’s a knock-on; and if refs think otherwise, the laws of the game should be clarified to disabuse them of any such notion. 

Too much hair-splitting in modern refereeing. 

The first try was an absolute disgrace. What did the ref think he was playing at? 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Schoolboy mistake by England for the third try, though. When you concede a penalty ten yards out and under the posts, you DO NOT stroll away leaving a huge hole in the defence... 2/10, must try harder! 

Rees-Zammit and Hardy are fine additions to the Welsh squad, I think. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I’m with Jonathan Davies on this one. If the player hasn’t established control, and the ball moves forwards, it’s a knock-on; and if refs think otherwise, the laws of the game should be clarified to disabuse them of any such notion. 

Too much hair-splitting in modern refereeing. 

The first try was an absolute disgrace. What did the ref think he was playing at? 

Probably another Far East betting syndicate affecting sport. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

It's the first time I have heard such blatantly biased crowd recordings in rugby. 

I'm surprised they don't play booing noises whenever an England player gets the ball. 

Oh, I don’t know. Millennium Stadium is usually, pretty much like that. 

What to say, though? There needs to be the rugby equivalent of a Stewards’ Enquiry for some of the worst refereeing I’ve seen at this level in a very long time... and a clarification of the laws, to the effect that fortuitously touching a players leg does not negate a knock-on, but a demonstrable kick forward would constitute “regaining control”.... but England need to understand that you do NOT give away three kickable penalties within a few minutes, at this level. I thought they’d worked that out since Dan Cole stepped down, but apparently not. Robson didn’t do his prospects much good with a blatant block. 

Expression on Martin Johnson’s face at full time... priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3