The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

57 minutes ago, 88D said:

England are a bit stuck right now. They were very predictable in attack, and I think Farrell at centre makes sure that it can’t change. He’s very much like Biggar for Wales, utterly dependable, almost undroppable, but not able to give backs an attacking platform. This rigidity is ok against most teams, but not against the top teams. This was broadly England against the French u-20s from a year or so back. I would prefer to be a French supporter heading to the World Cup, they are coming along well.

England are stymied by the stagnant, predictable tactics and strategy of the Premiership. They won’t use players playing for clubs outside England and don’t have the option of using the imports who dominate the key half-back positions in the Prem. They’d probably do better to concentrate on U20s, but that means central contracting, which they won’t do. 

Eddie Jones can’t really do a great deal about any of this. 

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that England did not win with that first penalty in extra time. Looked like a duff decision from the referee.

No problems on the second penalty. How many points does that guy win for England with his amazing work in loose play?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am glad that England did not win with that first penalty in extra time. Looked like a duff decision from the referee.

No problems on the second penalty. How many points does that guy win for England with his amazing work in loose play?

It a sign of the times that the 2003 RWC winners won in overtime with a set piece kicking move (Zig Zag), involving some quite detailed game management (particularly Martin Johnson retaining the ball, and taking contact 5m on, to allow Dawson and Wilkinson to position themselves). Dawson can be seen signalling to the ref that the ball is out, as the ref is raising his whistle to blow the ball dead. Dawson spoke afterwards about wanting to give Wilkinson the ball on the other foot, since he was kicking well on that side, but deciding it wasn’t feasible but the risk was worth taking.

In the subsequent kickoff reception, you can see Greenwood (at first receiver) drop to all fours, signalling Mike Catt to kick the ball out and end the game, but Catt passes it over him to be certain. There were still about 15 seconds on the clock. Under the laws as they then stood, the referee’s discretion defined full time - if Australia had made a move to throw in, he might have allowed it, but that didn’t happen. 

I don’t believe the present team would be capable of that sort of on-the-field game management. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I fear the Tigers Boxing day trip to Newcastle may be off, looks like we picked up the lurgie on our trip to France, makes you laugh that they then shut the borders in case we give them it...............3 players tested positive, if it's the team that travelled then the whole team will be isolating for Xmas.

• Informative/Useful 1

I see that Tigerbunny’s team won again. Thought I would post it before him. Apple correction again, but it does sound better? Can’t work out Bath, can they ever string a couple of results together?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Tigers game cancelled at the weekend, Northampton players test positive this time, there will surely come a point soon when they will realise this is not a proper league and write this season off .

Worried about relegation? Smiley or glummy of your choice.

That would kill the game as a spectacle, I've watched dead rubber games in the old Heineken Cup, pointless training run that I would not pay money to watch. Coventry are trying to get back too if Wasps hadn't moved into their city they might be further towards that aim sponsor wise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For a bit of fun I just filled in the BBC's British and Irish Lions starting 15 sheet, I picked 1 Scotsman, 4 Irish, no Welsh and 10 English, now this based on their list of choices, many of whom I would not include. The 6 Nations if it happens will be the acid test, but the beebs list had a fair few players who have not played any rugby, Manu Tuilagi can hardly be considered when he's not fit.

On 12/01/2021 at 14:02, tigerburnie said:

For a bit of fun I just filled in the BBC's British and Irish Lions starting 15 sheet, I picked 1 Scotsman, 4 Irish, no Welsh and 10 English, now this based on their list of choices, many of whom I would not include. The 6 Nations if it happens will be the acid test, but the beebs list had a fair few players who have not played any rugby, Manu Tuilagi can hardly be considered when he's not fit.

For a bit of fun, what is your team? Any Leicester players there?

Ellis Genge, George Ford and Ben Youngs(who would be on the bench if we had a better option as I think he's lost a bit of his pace these days).

I was going to copy their list, but the atricle has vanished, from memory

Genge- George-Furlong

Itoje- Launchberry

Curry-  Doris- Stander

May-                                     Youngs

Ford           Joseph                           Slade            Stockdale

Hogg

This was from their list, some of these would not have been in my squad

Edited by tigerburnie