Tetbury Branch : Brick colour

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Good evening fellow RMweb members, I m hoping someone can help me?

I am constructing some buildings in 7 mm for a planned 0 gauge Tetbury Branch extension to "Kingscote" layout I am currently working on.  I have noted that the buildings at Tetbury were constructed in a blueish brick, not the more commonly modeled red/orange type. Can anyone recommend a suitable colour for this blue brickwork?. In the past l ve used RAF uniform blue for picking out engineering brick in buildings, but think a whole building finished in this colour would look wrong.

I ve attached a photo of Tetbury Goodshed, which shows the type of colour l m trying to achieve, although it can be seen that this structure is made up of different coloured brick bands, but there is an over all blueish finish l d like to capture.

Fingers crossed

Bob C

BlakeArchitects_Conversion_Tetburygoodsshed.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Note how the headers are bluer than the stretchers, which have a reddish tinge - evidently a result of the firing process. With English bond as here, the result is a subtle stripy effect.

Sorry that doesn't help much with your question, other than to observe that you'll need more than one colour - and also will have to make sure that if you are using an embossed material rather than scribing your own, you'll have to make sure it is English bond.

Are the bricks on the corner bull nosed? They seem to be uniformly bluer, at least from about half-way up.

This lovely old building has since been restored and is now a splendid Arts Centre. Here's shot I took in sunshine when i was still largely derelict. It shows well the really stripy effect of the brickwork. It will be important to have the blue emphasis without losing the red completely. Lots of GWR buildings had this striped look, some more so than others. (CJL)

Tetbury 022.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a bit late to the party here. Probably by now you've already painted your model.  However, these are from the research photos when I built my 4mm version of Tetbury. These were taken before the goods shed was refurbished and extended into the arts venue it is today.

DSC_0005.JPG.720191d592fceee6f94d0b2578a40cb1.JPG

As previous stated, it is a mixture of blue headers with dark red stretchers. 

DSC_0004.JPG.9430c5f423f77570c540867b5927ff43.JPG

Let me know if you need anything else, and I'll have a rummage through my photos.

• Informative/Useful 1