Info on 1963 SR Timetable Required

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me? I am trying to trace details of the Reading to Basingstoke (and beyond) services in 1963.

I started my apprenticeship at Eastleigh Loco Works on September 2nd 1963. I recall getting to Basingstoke station at around 07.00 for an Eastleigh train. The 3 or 4 coach train arrived on platform 2 at Basingstoke hauled by a 61XX 2-6-2 tank. It uncoupled and cleared off to Basingstoke shed to be replaced by a Maunsell mogul, can't recall which variety I'm afraid. 

At the time, most Basingstoke - Reading services were provided by 3 car Hampshire DEMU's so "my" train seemed a bit unusual. I would like to model this service so can any of you timetable/stock experts let me have more details of this working? Was it a normal timetabled service at that time or a replacement? What was the usual formation of the train? Was the loco change normal or was Reading SR short of a loco and asked Reading WR for assistance?

Many thanks for any illumination provided,

Richard B

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 07:32, 30368 said:

Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me? I am trying to trace details of the Reading to Basingstoke (and beyond) services in 1963.

I started my apprenticeship at Eastleigh Loco Works on September 2nd 1963. I recall getting to Basingstoke station at around 07.00 for an Eastleigh train. The 3 or 4 coach train arrived on platform 2 at Basingstoke hauled by a 61XX 2-6-2 tank. It uncoupled and cleared off to Basingstoke shed to be replaced by a Maunsell mogul, can't recall which variety I'm afraid. 

At the time, most Basingstoke - Reading services were provided by 3 car Hampshire DEMU's so "my" train seemed a bit unusual. I would like to model this service so can any of you timetable/stock experts let me have more details of this working? Was it a normal timetabled service at that time or a replacement? What was the usual formation of the train? Was the loco change normal or was Reading SR short of a loco and asked Reading WR for assistance?

Many thanks for any illumination provided,

Richard B

I don't have a 1963 timetable but do have a summer 1961 version.  The service then looks like it was the 6.50 Reading to Southampton Terminus train.  It arrived at Basingstoke at 7.26 and left at 7.34 (so time for a quick engine change).

Arrival time at Eastleigh was 8.21 and Southampton 8.45, so not exactly a fast !

I don't have any other details as my main area of expertise (I'm not an expert) is the Somerset & Dorset.

Peter.  

Edited by Combe Martin
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes that makes sense given the route and destination. I'm just pleased that my recollection of my first trip to Eastleigh as an apprentice was correct!

I can recall the DN&S line on the outskirts of Winchester (this would be 1962/3)  being full of withdrawn coaches allthough I think the line was not connected! Unless the coaches were scrapped on site or taken back along the DN&S it suggests that my memory is mistaken and the line was still connected.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This could have been a "sort of" replacement for the DN&S service, which closed south of Newbury in 1960.

No it wasn't.  It was part of the long standing Reading - Southampton Terminus service  via Basingstoke.  In the Winter 1952/53 service it left Reading at 06.50 and arrived Southampton Terminus at 08.46.  However in the Summer 1929 service it was not a through train and the first through train of the day from Reading to Southampton Terminus didn't leave Reading until 09.38.

BTW I have actually travelled on a through steam hauled train from Reading to Southampton Terminus (and back) albeit a long time ago and well before the DN&S was closed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have (thinks carefully here.....) a '63 Timetable somewhere (almost sure I know where) if you need more detail.

P

Many thanks 60022 will contact if needed.

Kind regards,

Richard B